The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#228933 - 08/01/11 06:16 PM Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Whether a hiking companion is canine or human, their injury or exhaustion could turn a modest day hike into an overnighter -- as was the case here.

Thanks to another ETS member, I carry more First Aid items for my Samoyed now than I used to -- with special emphasis on paw injury. Gidget walks everyday on sidewalks and asphalt and frequently on gravel so her paws are pretty tough. Still, there are many ways to come up lame on a hike. And she's getting older so I have to take that into account these days.

I've occasionally considered how a stretcher might be rigged for her (50 lbs) using daypacks, hiking poles and paracord but I haven't actually tried to rig one or try it out.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2011/07/3...g-out-on-trail/

Dog Gone Tired! Pooch Airlifted From Angeles National Forest After Pooping Out On Trail

July 31, 2011 11:59 PM

SAN DIMAS (CBS) — An afternoon hike turned into an overnight ordeal when a couple whose 80-pound dog joined them for the trek couldn’t make it back down the trail....

#228934 - 08/01/11 06:44 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Try a pocket hammock, made of netting, as a litter. String it under a pole and it can be carried by two. As long as the injuries can handle the position, it works well.

#228935 - 08/01/11 07:12 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Great suggestion, Montanero, thanks.

#228940 - 08/01/11 10:08 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: gonewiththewind]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Try a pocket hammock, made of netting, as a litter. String it under a pole and it can be carried by two. As long as the injuries can handle the position, it works well.

Also works well with hog tied Panamanian Dignity Battalion members that won't go quietly once convinced that hurting their own countrymen is not working and playing well with others. But that was 1989

With either, you must watch for positional asphyxiation.

I digress. . . .

RIP OBG

#228950 - 08/02/11 03:54 AM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Desperado]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Also works well with hog tied Panamanian Dignity Battalion members that won't go quietly once convinced that hurting their own countrymen is not working and playing well with others.

LOL!

I liked this bit in the article:

"The couple, who did not have clothing or camping supplies, was cold when they were picked up, but were said to be doing fine."

I was not aware that naked hiking was a popular pastime in Angeles National Forest. That must require a great deal of sun block and insect repellent.

#228952 - 08/02/11 04:36 AM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
KI6IW Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If you carry a heatsheet, you could rig a blanket carry with two poles and two people.

#228960 - 08/02/11 01:25 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: KI6IW]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: KI6IW
If you carry a heatsheet, you could rig a blanket carry with two poles and two people.

I'm not sure a heatsheet would be strong enough for a larger dog. However, I think one of the Sportsmen blankets would work.

#228962 - 08/02/11 01:48 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

A couple of thoughts after reading the article Dagny linked. Always carry something to wrap pads in case of injury. Vetwrap with padding and a boot if possible. Also from the article this dog became tired and weak. My guess heat and stress from the situation. Canine rehyration tablets or packets are always a good idea to carry with dogs and I always carry a couple small packs of honey to counter shock. Watch your dog closely and stop before the dog gets into trouble.

#228966 - 08/02/11 03:35 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A homemade stretcher could be made from double layers of ripstop nylon with an attached flap from the bottom to turn it into a pocket for a travois, or just to keep the dog secure. Wide sleeves on each side could accommodate scrounged poles (secure with cable ties to prevent slipping if used as a travois).

There are also those one-wheeled deer trolley things, but they're probably too bulkly for everyday, what-if use.

But even a tarp or blanket would do in a pinch.

If a person wanted to be more pro-active on paw injuries, get some dog boots and get your pup used to wearing them.

Sue

#228977 - 08/02/11 06:46 PM Re: Tired-injured dog turns day hike into overnighter [Re: Dagny]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I feel for these folks. When I got my dog, Sierra, I'd hoped to have a good camping companion. She loved going nuts and taking off when we were in the woods in Missouri. Never came back worth a d@mn, but we were working on that.

Then she went and got cancer, and had a leg amputated.

Now my tripod gets tired after a half-mile walk. So much for any more camping with her.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.