Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#229523 - 08/09/11 07:53 PM boating rescue captured on helmet camera
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Survivors are retrieved after using their radio that floated to the surface after their boat sank.

#229527 - 08/09/11 08:41 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Luck, but I guess you could say having the radio that floats could be making luck happen. Just another data point as to why we should keep a PLB on person all the time. 15 seconds from doing well to the bow sticking up on it's way down??? I'd love to know what the H happened during those 15 seconds.

BTW, my ACR ResQLink arrived, waiting on the floating pouch -- just sayin' ...

#229530 - 08/09/11 09:05 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I suspect things were not going well, long before the 15 second interval when they observed the boat to be sinking. Luckily, they had calm seas.....

#229550 - 08/09/11 11:09 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

"With time to only grab lifejackets and a video camera..."
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local...tha-s-vineyard/

I guess grabbing the radio didn't come to mind. Dumb luck to the rescue one more time.

Saturday's incident was the 338th search and rescue case in southern Massachusetts and Rhode Island this year, the Coast Guard said.

Sue

#229581 - 08/10/11 02:08 AM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Izzy,

I am not a land lubber, and I DO keep my radio (and now my PLB) on me at all times. Many times the radio will get you help in a lot less time than the PLB which can make all the difference. In many places I would take the radio over the PLB if I had to go overboard with only one. Even before the PLB I carried a small EPIRB (boat unit) with me. Before that was available, neither were reasonably portable radios. frown

Respectfully,

Jerry

#229602 - 08/10/11 02:59 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Izzy,

I am not a land lubber, and I DO keep my radio (and now my PLB) on me at all times. Many times the radio will get you help in a lot less time than the PLB which can make all the difference. In many places I would take the radio over the PLB if I had to go overboard with only one. Even before the PLB I carried a small EPIRB (boat unit) with me. Before that was available, neither were reasonably portable radios. frown

Respectfully,

Jerry

That's good to know then. And I can see how in a major traffic area the radio would be quicker response. As Maritime law states other ships in the vicinity of a SOS are obligated, I think, to aid in the rescue. As the story above showed there was a commercial ship closer by than the Coast Guard and they saved the day. Lucky guys.

I also found that interesting. Fortunately in this case the radio that could float, did, and they were pulled out of the water by a nearby boat listening to presumably Ch. 16 -- wow. All this leads me to thinking an ICOM VHF radio may be a good companion to my ACR ResQLink for use off-shore. IIRC, Coast Guard helo's are Marine VHF capable.

#229618 - 08/10/11 05:33 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Russ]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Originally Posted By: Russ
All this leads me to thinking an ICOM VHF radio may be a good companion to my ACR ResQLink for use off-shore. IIRC, Coast Guard helo's are Marine VHF capable.

Russ,

Yes, the CG (around the world) are equipped with marine band and monitor 16. If you are floating in a life vest, you can direct them to your exact location after the PLB gets them to the area.

Not to hijack the thread, but a two way radio is a superb compliment to a PLB. Marine band on the coastline or anywhere else a CG might respond and an aircraft band on land. I have carried an aircraft band in a lot of places around the world (pre PLB and still) and there aren't a lot where I could not hear (or have talked to) an airliner. Knowing the Center (enroute air traffic control) frequency for where you are helps a lot.

Respectfully,

Jerry

p.s. My Marine band is an ICOM M2. Smaller ones are available now.

Edited by JerryFountain (08/10/11 05:35 PM)
Edit Reason: p.s. added

#229644 - 08/10/11 10:58 PM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
Why wait until you're in the water to call for help? Why no video of the boat actually sinking? Why was that guy smiling or laughing once in the water? I'm just asking... confused

#229736 - 08/12/11 09:16 AM Re: boating rescue captured on helmet camera [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Paul D. Offline

Loc: Porkopolis
I'll admit I haven't watched this particular video, but in the right circumstances some boats will sink shockingly fast. It is easy to second guess why somebody did or didn't do something but all kinds of circumstances can go from normal to Charlie Foxtrot before you have time to implement procedures.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.