Topic Options
#229039 - 08/03/11 01:43 PM National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#229040 - 08/03/11 02:53 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: linked story
The Oregonian reported that Salant got lost Saturday when she and Essig dropped their gear near Bear Lake and went looking for a camping spot. After her fall...

Another case for on-person carry of some bare minimum essentials.

#229042 - 08/03/11 03:31 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
What was it I read about eating uncooked snails??? -- as I recall the couple died -- snails can carry parasites. Over a few days, food is not so critical that eating slugs and caterpillars is a requirement for survival.

#229046 - 08/03/11 04:17 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
=Glock-A-RooAnother case for on-person carry of some bare minimum essentials.

Indeed. Certainly a whistle could have helped a lot.

Personally I just hate to get out of sight of my pack because it has ALL my options in it.

Edited by unimogbert (08/03/11 08:06 PM)

#229056 - 08/03/11 06:13 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Great to hear that she's going to survive. Certainly instructive on not being separated from your gear. Tank top and shorts in that forest and not able to walk - brrrrrrrrr!

I've stepped on some of those banana slugs. Really hard to imagine eating one - yuck. With that in mind from now on I may duct tape Luna Bars to my body before hikes, along with matches and firesteel.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2011/08/condition_of_portland_woman_re.html

...her condition greatly improved overnight.

Upgraded from serious to fair condition, Pamela Salant suffers from multiple injuries, said Brian Willoughby, spokesman for Legacy Emanuel Medical Center. He said her left tibia, the second largest bone in the body, is fractured. Fixing that leg will probably require surgery this week, Willoughby said. Salant also has multiple back injuries and abrasions that won’t require surgery.

She’s sedated and is willing to speak publicly but not until next wee
k,

#229057 - 08/03/11 06:34 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
She did some smart things like getting out in the open when she heard helicopters and using moss to stay warm.

Caching *all* your gear while you go tromping off on a side trip isn't always such a great idea. I usually stick a small very light pack inside my main bag if I'm going to do side trips.

HJ

#229058 - 08/03/11 06:35 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Dagny]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Dagny, you need to make a small kit for that white four-legged BFF that follows you everywhere. Luna bar, small fire kit, dog food -- PLB...

#229065 - 08/03/11 07:58 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Good advice, Russ. She's a great blanket, too.

Thanks to ETS I literally don't go anywhere without a number of items on my person. My house key for dog walking is on a lanyard with a Fox whistle and e-Pico light. My car key chain includes a firesteel, scraper and e-Pico light. My rucksack for routine longer walks in my neighborhood and on the National Mall holds more survival gear than probably the vast majority of day hikers in the woods. My wallet contains a tiny firesteel, scraper and Ritter MK5.

Because this forum has made me paranoid... er, prepared.

I'm from the area (Hood River/Mt. Hood National Forest) where the woman went missing and have hiked a great deal around there. Don't think I'd have ever walked more than a few dozen yards from all my gear/wallet, etc.

As with most survival stories, especially at the outset, we have only a partial sketch of the facts in this situation involving this Oregon woman. Some early news reports included references to an argument the woman and her boyfriend had which preceded her walking (stomping?) off by herself.

KGW reported that Essig told Salant's employer he had a conversation with Salant that "disgruntled" her and the two decided to walk in opposite directions for a little time to cool off.

http://www.kmtr.com/news/local/story/UPD...r8mpH_Vy3w.cspx

In any event, good that she's alive and perhaps others will learn from her mishap.

#229070 - 08/03/11 08:33 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Dagny]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Dagny
...KGW reported that Essig told Salant's employer he had a conversation with Salant that "disgruntled" her and the two decided to walk in opposite directions for a little time to cool off.

Well she certainly achieved that goal, though luckily not to the point of reaching ambient temperature...!

#229073 - 08/03/11 09:29 PM Re: National Interest Missing Oregon Hiker Found Alive [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It's odd how people keep making the same mistakes over and over, like they never read the news about people making the SAME MISTAKES over and over:

* Stay together.
* Don't look for campsites on the edges of cliffs and canyons.
* If you can't see where your feet are going, don't go there.
* Know or research the area you're hiking in. The pioneers found the Columbia River was one of the most difficult to access water from the south (OR) side because of the sheer drops for miles.
* Don't wander around without some gear on your person.
* Wear, or at least carry, appropriate clothing. AND some granola bars (etc) so you won't be tempted to eat possibly toxic plants and bugs.

Shorts and a tank top... did she trip over her flip flops and fall off the cliff? Another article indicated she had left her cellphone with her other gear.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 249 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.