The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#226234 - 06/20/11 09:37 PM SPOT Beacon
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
A Washington State SAR team member has written an interesting report on SPOT following the rescue of a missing hiker.

Lots of good info here.

I found this in an online and free site called the Backcountry Rescuer. Visit: https://sites.google.com/site/backcountryrescuer/home/issue-4

Blake
www.outdoorquest.blogspot.com
www.outdoorquest.biz

#226237 - 06/20/11 10:00 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks Blake. Our Scout troop heads out on our 6 day wilderness trek in about a month and a PLB is on my shopping list before we go. (The troop may pick-up the cost.) A SPOT is at the top of the list right now but I'm still researching. This helps - thanks!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226240 - 06/20/11 10:17 PM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
I'm a little suspect of this article given an inconsistency in the first paragraph. I've worked with the original SPOT and own a SPOT 2 and the manufacturer recommends using only lithium non-rechargeable batteries and my unit came with Energiser Ultimate Lithiums. That is because they produce longer consistent power and have an extreme shelf life. Rechargeable batteries are not recommended. If the hiker had just purchased the SPOT 2 earlier in the week, then he should have been using the batteries that came with the unit which do not need to be charged nor should you attempt to charge them. So that is likely not why the SPOT 2 stopped sending updates -- which is incidentally something I would like to know.

I like the check in features of the SPOT 2, but given a choice in a life or death situation, I would definitely take my PLB instead. If you are not in the position to afford either, many companies that rent satellite phones also rent PLBs at very reasonable prices.

#226257 - 06/21/11 12:12 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: celler]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My feeling on reading the article and looking at the recall history of this device is that it is not quite ready for prime time. It would be useful to have more information on the batteries that were in the unit.

#226268 - 06/21/11 01:41 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I use a SPOT-2. It comes with Energizer Lithium AAA cells and the instructions say over and over: "only use lithium batteries" and "bring spare batteries".

Assuming the article is correct:

If the hiker in question put in his own rechargeables instead, it's his own darn fault if the unit ran out of power. Even if it did, he should have had some spares on hand. The LEDs on the SPOT-2 quite clearly indicate if the unit is powered and operating.

Of course, I have yet to see a specific statement that he had a SPOT-2 and not the original SPOT. I am not familiar with the original unit's instructions or interface.

#226280 - 06/21/11 03:49 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I have a SPOT-2 and have not had any trouble with it at all. No problems with reliability whatsoever. If I'm going on a long trip, naturally I replace the batteries. SPOT is very explicit about the kinds of batteries that should go in the unit - so just use what's recommended. I think it's the lithium batteries, but my memory is sketchy on that. The important thing is to carefully read their manual and DO what they say.

cheers,
Pete #2

#226282 - 06/21/11 04:48 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Pete]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Lots of great input. Thank you all.

One thing I would add to the discussion is the importance of leaving a trip plan with that "responsible" person.

A sample that I used is here:

www.outdoorquest.biz/TripPlanV2.pdf

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (06/21/11 04:48 AM)

#226288 - 06/21/11 06:41 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

The trouble with SPOT is that it is both a tracking device that is used on a regular basis (= eats batteries each time you go somewhere, and rechargeable makes sense) as well as an emergency device (= lithium primaries makes sense).

It is hard to fullfil both roles at the same time...

Of course, the logical solution is to carry spare lithiums at all times. Ideally, there should be a separate compartment in the SPOT unit for spare batteries. (Come on, it wouldn't be that hard to design that with only a slightly larger unit!). The trouble with keep2go tubes or similar robust containers is that those can be lost or left at home.

Personally, I hate using primaries for anything other than those "ONLY IN EMERGENCY" devices. If I had a spot, I am sure I would use it as a tracking device on some, but not all of my trips. I would bring spare lithium at all times, but would not hesitate to go against the factory instructions and feed it eneloop nimh when used as a tracking device. If I don't want tracking I'd feed it lithium primaries.

Why do I hate to use primaries? Because if you use them "a little" for two or three times in a row you loose track of how much juice there is left. Is it 70%, 50% or 25%? Unless you throw away a lot of half depleted batteries (a waste!) you never know how much time you have left before you have to change batteries.

With rechargeables (low self discharge nimh, in this case) you just recharge them. Always full - always ready, and you have a pretty good feeling of how long it takes before you need to change batteries.

#226289 - 06/21/11 10:15 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

One thing I would add to the discussion is the importance of leaving a trip plan with that "responsible" person.

Absolutely totally a MUST DO, Blake. The more specific the better. Include all known and expected details, including maps!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226293 - 06/21/11 10:35 AM Re: SPOT Beacon [Re: bacpacjac]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: Outdoor_Quest

Absolutely totally a MUST DO, Blake. The more specific the better. Include all known and expected details, including maps!

Yes, a fully detailed trip plan is a must regardless if a SPOT or PLB is carried. I use a modified version of this plan/checklist. (PDF) which is printed and emailed to our primary contact person. The email also includes Google Maps / Earth coordinates of the intended route.

The reason for the email is that in the event SAR is required, it is much easier to forward the email to SAR so that the info is much more readily available.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.