#225982 - 06/15/11 04:31 PM Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/14/missing.climber/index.html?hpt=hp_bn1

http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/FEATUR...-RAINIER-688886

It's not looking good.

According to these stories, the missing climber was hypothermic and his two friends left him to get help. I wasn't there and I don't know how they reached that decision, but I'd like to think that I'd stay with my friend and use a PLB or a SEND instead.

#225985 - 06/15/11 04:47 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
widget Offline
Addict

Liberty Ridge on the north side of Mt. Ranier is one of the most difficult routes on the mountain. It is a very steep ridge and often avalanches, falling ice and rock are a constant hazard to any climber on the route, even during perfect weather. The likely cause of this climbers hypothermia is that commonly mountaineers on routes like Liberty Ridge will pack a minimum sleeping arrangement to save weight. Perhaps a good down parka and a "half bag" setup or even less. This is a long climb, one way up and another way down thus every item must be carried to the summit, no leaving items behind at a high camp. It is considered too difficult a route to downclimb. It has been done but I am sure not by intention.
Best wishes for a happy outcome to the fate of this climber. Doubt it will be though.

#225986 - 06/15/11 04:57 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hopes and prayers for a good outcome.

#225989 - 06/15/11 05:34 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
So traveling 'lite' claims another life. I guess that being experienced doesn't necessarily mean you're very smart.

And I don't understand leaving him there, either. He manages (managed) an outdoor store... and didn't have a PLB?

The number of climbing deaths on Mt. Rainier is getting really close to 100.

Sue

#225994 - 06/15/11 06:29 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
widget Offline
Addict

Considering the number of climbers on Mt. Ranier every year and many of them being of a low experience level, a total of 100 deaths is surprising. Any mountain that size can be deadly and it only shows the Park Service had done a great job of keeping deaths to a minimum. Some things are just beyond your control.

The problem I have with this story is that hypothermia is deadly but seldom should keep someone from getting up and getting going. One can only speculate as to the cause of this man's inability to get going in the morning, frostbite could be another matter altogether. Yes going lite can add to the hazards but so can travelling with more weight than can be safely carried in a particular situation. in mountain climbing there is often an increased risk because of the trade offs made. The desire is to climb a route like that fast. However to climb fast there may be an increased risk because of less safety gear carried.

At some point us old mountaineers become ex-mountaineers because perhaps we don't want to take the risks anymore. We also can look back often and remember a close call or two.

#225997 - 06/15/11 08:34 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I live in Olympia and have known Rob for about 12 years, as I’m a regular at Alpine Experience. Rob was a really nice guy who always struck me as one who would be prepared and use his head. In fact, I’ve had kit and gear discussions with him numerous times. We don’t know that he was “traveling lite” at this time. When his two companions left him to get help he was in a bivy, I don't know if he had a PLB or even had time to deploy it. That mountain has claimed some very smart and experienced people in the past. At least he died doing what he loved.

#225998 - 06/15/11 09:04 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Even the most mentally and physically prepared people have succumbed to very common, avoidable causes of physical defection (like hyper/hypothermia). This is especially true in A-Type personalities. It is true for myself.

If you were going to die climbing, would you rather it be by a senseless mistake of your own doing or a senseless mistake someone else made?

#226000 - 06/15/11 09:32 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: comms]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: comms
Even the most mentally and physically prepared people have succumbed to very common, avoidable causes of physical defection (like hyper/hypothermia). This is especially true in A-Type personalities. It is true for myself.

If you were going to die climbing, would you rather it be by a senseless mistake of your own doing or a senseless mistake someone else made?

I have done my share of high altitude mountain climbing and also knew someone who perished on Mount Hood. It has been proven that deaths in mountain climbing are not caused by one single mistake, rather it is a sequence of events that are triggered minutes, hours or even days before.

This same sequence applies to the most rank amateur climber right up to the most experienced climber who has years and thousands of feet of advanced climbing and survival skills in one of the most hostile environments that man or woman can ever pit themselves against.

As for "climbing / traveling lite", this is wide open to interpretation and speculation by many. I know from first hand experience that you may start off at a lower camp and altitude with a 70 -80 lb pack but for a summit push, it could be half of that weight with a wide selection of gear and still be considered "climbing / traveling lite". We may never know what Rob Plankers was carrying but it really does not matter now. A good and a well respected man in the outdoors and climbing community who helped many over the years is now gone.

John Lubbock

#226007 - 06/15/11 11:59 PM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: chaosmagnet]
widget Offline
Addict

I certainly would not imply travelling lite was at fault here. I know from my own experiences climbing, that light and fast is the safest way to climb many mountains and/or routes. That is not to say a light pack causes accidents/deaths. It can be a contributing factor. The circumstances can overcome the best laid plans.

I am sad to hear a fellow mountaineer has lost his life doing something he loved. I know most of us are only speculating, perhaps in our struggle to try to understand how this could happen. I have never felt cold enough that I could not carry on, slow maybe but not a total halt. I can only guess that there is some other cause in this instance, altitude sickness or something else that would take all your energy. I know I have been ill on Ranier and was until I got down below 10K. To climb down Liberty Ridge would not likely be possible with a serious illness. It is not an easy task on a perfect day with a fully energized climber.

#226011 - 06/16/11 12:30 AM Re: Climber Missing on Mt. Ranier [Re: widget]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have seen nothing that even mentions whether or not this party was "lite," heavy, or in between. Didn't we have a recent thread about the decline of news coverage, especially its accuracy? Apparently that doesn't hinder rushing to judgment about this situation...

It is worth mentioning that this is one of the kinds of situations where a PLB, SEND, etc. is not necessarily all that useful. When you embark on challenging terrain and throw in bad weather, rescue is not going to happen quickly, if at all. You simply must depend upon your own resources.

Let us hope for a good outcome, although it certainly doesn't seem likely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.