The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#225892 - 06/14/11 12:02 AM Self-inflating PFDs
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Self-inflating PFDs look like they'd be very comfortable for fishing. How do they work? Do you need a canister of compressed air to inflate them? Do you pull a ripcord? Do they activate when they are submerged?
Next question: How well do they work?

Edited by bacpacjac (06/14/11 12:31 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#225893 - 06/14/11 12:23 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Many different flavors, the Mustang versions I have looked at have a CO2 canister for self-inflation. They can be designed to self-inflate on immersion or use a manual inflation cord. They also can be inflated by blowing into a tube if the self-inflation mechanism fails. They also sell a refirb kit to replace the inflation mechanism if used.

#225894 - 06/14/11 12:36 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Cellar. I usually wear a regular jacket but these look interesting. I like the old-style because if they're on, they're ready. I had an accident on the water last year and would surely have drowned if it weren't for my PFD.

I guess the simple question with probably a thousand answers is "How dependable are they?"

#225897 - 06/14/11 12:57 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Self-inflating PFDs are very good, and getting better. But like all manmade mechanical things, they can fail. They can fail to inflate or the inflation bladders can leak.

If you rely on a PFD that you have to manually blow up, then it is not much use if you go in the drink because you have been rendered unconscious, physically disabled [heart attack, stroke, hypothermia, whatever], or mentally / emotionally disabled [panic, dementia, too young to understand, whatever].

Chunks of closed-cell floatation material in a PFD float all the time, every time, regardless of your condition.

#225904 - 06/14/11 04:18 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i'll go with dweste on this.up in canoe country the water is very cold even in summer,in spring it's like ice water.if you go in you could do the reflex gulp and go under.the self inflates seem to be for duck hunters in warmer parts of the country who don't want a PFD to interfere with their gun handling.the only example i have read of at bwca.com involved a tip over and the guy with the co2 PFD could not get his to work.luck was with him as they made it to shore holding onto the canoe,the other guy had a real PFD.the co2 guy tried to inflate his on shore later on and it worked...
my "real" PFD is my avatar and you can see the pockets are filled with a ditch kit.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (06/14/11 04:20 AM)

#225907 - 06/14/11 10:21 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys! I've also got a regular PFD on when I'm on the water. (Might upgrade to a fishing version with pockets. Nice set-up Canoedogs!) I prefer the always ready nature of a traditional vest.

I was thinking that the self inflatables might be good for my fishing group, who are prone to bringing them but not using them. We stick close to shore and fish in very calm and quiet area so they think they're safe. My accident last year was on big water and involved tubing not fishing but they all saw how nearly impossible it was for me to swim or get back in the boat.

#225909 - 06/14/11 11:34 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Its all a matter of your specific use. It was mentioned that the inflatable PFDs would be no good if you were knocked unconscious and fell in the water. In such circumstances, only a Type I PDF would help you as it is the only one designed to turn over an unconscious user. These are what most people know as offshore PFDs and they are big and bulky. The problem is that most people simply are not going to wear something like this for moderate recreational use. Thus, most people do not wear one at all when it is a good idea to do so because they don't like the look or the bulk.

Enter the new low-profile, self-inflating and suspender-type PFDs. No doubt these are not as efficient or maybe even as reliable as a Type I or Type II PFD. But, people are more likely to wear them and the PFD you are wearing is 100 times better than the PFD sitting in the boat while you are treading water.

YMMV.

#225911 - 06/14/11 11:43 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
An additional consideration if you are operating on big water, at high speed, or near rocks, etc.: A nice layer of thick, bouyant, closed cell foam also provides you with some degree of impact protection.

Hit something hard with a traditional vest and the foam provides you with some protection. Hit something hard with an inflatable, and you may rupture the bladder.

That said, they are MUCH more comfortable, and I use both regularly, depending on where I am going, what kind of vessel I'm on, and what the conditions are.

#225930 - 06/14/11 06:57 PM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks guys!! Lots of info to digest, and pros and cons to weigh.

#225958 - 06/15/11 02:10 AM Re: Self-inflating PFDs [Re: bacpacjac]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Take a look at:

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/pfdbasics.htm
http://www.pfdma.org/choosing/types.aspx

If there is a chance I might get knocked out, I would go with a Type I. If the goal is to encourage people to wear them, and you aren't doing anything risky (relatively calm waters, no rocks near the surface, not too cold), then self-inflating (or even manually triggered) PFDs will probably work well.

Disclaimer: I'm not an avid outdoorsman, so your mileage may vary.

Da Bing

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.