Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#222354 - 04/26/11 10:14 PM A new perspectives on an old question
TheMountainRn Offline
Stranger

I couldn't find the old thread. What to do if your clothes get wet. There this PHd that specialize in cold emergency. That I ask the question, here was is answer:
"Good idea with the trash bag. Your first thing would be to take you
>clothes of and wring them out and put them back on. Then light a
>fire. If successful you can spend as long as necessary drying off
>your clothing. in a pinch, if all you have is the plastic you would
>keep the clothes on. If you also had a sleeping bag, it might be
>best to take the clothes off, but this is a problem if they freeze
>you will never get them on agian. Back to the fire, which is the
>key to all survival in the woods."

Dr. Gordon Giesbrecht

you can check him out at:
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/kinrec/research/people/giesbrecht.html

#222355 - 04/26/11 10:24 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Sounds like good advice. Shelter (i.e. clothes, bag, bivvy, etc.) + fire + a warm drink + food is my formula. Creating internal body heat by doing some jumping jacks or something might help too.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222357 - 04/26/11 11:26 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Nice to have it reaffirmed and all, but isn't that just a long winded "it depends"?

#222369 - 04/27/11 01:12 AM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: roberttheiii]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In cold conditions, fire is life. If you can light a fire and keep it going (which presupposes at least marginal shelter) your chances of pulling through are extremely good.

#222376 - 04/27/11 04:29 AM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i don't have the book in front of me now but in The Long Labrador Trail by Dillon Wallace there is a "one match saved my life story" Wallace told this to the Explores Club in a speech some years after his 1908 trip.in short he and his partner run a rapid without scouting it and flounder loosing much of their gear.they make it to a wood less sandbar and swim again in icy water to shore.the partner is just about out of it and Wallace's modern matches are damp and don't light.the "last match" is a old sulfur one which also contains phosphorus.he lights it by holding it between his palms because his fingers are stiff and numb.he slowly adds tiny sticks and gets a fire going and they add piles of wood and make a huge bonfire and dry out.they also get the canoe and some gear back but make it to a Hudson Bay post by the skin of their teeth..much more to all this but the last match story is a good read in itself.

#222390 - 04/27/11 11:43 AM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Keep moving if you can't build shelter and fire. Have a space blanket and poncho liner/fleece blanket to wrap up in if you can. Something wind proof and insulating. Your body heat will eventually start to dry everything. I have used a poncho and poncho liner wrapped around my shoulders, sitting on my rucksack, with a small heat source in a hole between my legs (heat tab/sterno/small fire). You have to keep your head out of the poncho (fumes form heat tabs will kill you), and leave a small hole near the ground for air, but it will dry you out and warm you up quickly. It requires little effort or materials.
If you can, get the fire going first, then work on the shelter. Shed the clothes and dry them. I like carrying a super absorbent camp towel, a large one, and rolling my clothing up in it and squeezing as much as I can.
If you know that you are going to get wet in advance, remove your clothing and place everything in a plastic bag to put back on after the stream crossing.
I have had to do winter water crossings many times in the Army. it is never pleasant, but it is survivable.

#222391 - 04/27/11 12:11 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: bacpacjac]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
From the original hypo kit post

Originally Posted By: TheMountainRn
My kit is made of:
carnation breakfeast package
bivi bag by adventure medical kit ( but maybe will change to Blizzard one)
and a garbage bag
vargo wood stove with some wet fire
bothy bag
down booties
extra sox, buff, gloves
Experimenting right now with MRE heating pad.

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/1080-6032/PIIS1080603201706771.pdf

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/1080-6032/PIIS108060320970081X.pdf

If you read the first link above, using human test subjects it was determined that exercise when you are in mild hypothermia (shivering) will actually drop your core temperature lower before it rises up again. This is probably the best synopsis of hypothermia treatment in a peer reviewed paper I have seen to date.

Bill

#222496 - 04/29/11 03:38 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Perhaps add a tiny towel to your dump kit?
Dry off and you'll warm up much faster.

#222504 - 04/29/11 04:54 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Just one of the many uses for the ubiquitous bandanna. You can actually get rid of most of the moisture by flicking it off with your hand and rubbing to dryness with your wrung out wet clothing - no need to bring a specialized, one purpose item.

#222558 - 04/30/11 04:58 PM Re: A new perspectives on an old question [Re: TheMountainRn]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I don't carry a lighter or matches because I don't smoke."

I love it! It's insane!

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.