The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#221839 - 04/18/11 10:09 PM Water Storage
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I am looking for some recommended references about emergency water storage.

I've looked at the FEMA publication ARE YOU READY? but I'd like to know if there are other sources out there.

Thanks,

Blake
www. outdoorquest.biz

#221840 - 04/18/11 10:15 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose" has some great info in it.

(sidenote: I watched video of a lady falling into a kiddie pool last night and it got me thinking about this topic too. Thanks for bringing it up Blake!)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221842 - 04/18/11 10:20 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
I have a rain barrel in the basement, filled with rain water. An aquarium filter keeps it from getting nasty. I mostly use it as a source of water for my house plants and Bonsai, since we have really hard water and plants don't like it. But it would be quite useful in an emergency too. I have a rain barrel outside in the summer too, but that obviously won't work in MN in the winter.

#221845 - 04/18/11 10:32 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Just talked to someone who has friends in Japan, including an 80 year old guy who lives in Sendai. Turns out that he had a big open barrel in his backyard that he used for storing water, and when the earthquake hit - that became his major (and only) water source. It saved him.

Bottom line ... store water!
You can worry about the fine details later, but even if the water tastes scummy, the essential thing is just to have some. :-)

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (04/18/11 10:33 PM)

#221846 - 04/18/11 10:34 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Pete]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Originally Posted By: Pete
Just talked to someone who has friends in Japan, including an 80 year old guy who lives in Sendai. Turns out that he had a big open barrel in his backyard that he used for storing water, and when the earthquake hit - that became his major (and only) water source. It saved him.

Bottom line ... store water!
You can worry about the fine details later, but even if the water tastes scummy, the essential thing is just to have some. :-)

Pete #2

Good point!!

#221853 - 04/18/11 11:55 PM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Please make sure if you have any form of smooth plastic or any other very smooth material containers open in your backyard to collect water that you put metal screen over it to prevent rodents and other small animals from getting in. Not only will this contaminate your water they can very well drown since they cannot scale the smooth sides OR jump out from the amount of water withen.

Edited by Frisket (04/18/11 11:55 PM)

#221855 - 04/19/11 12:01 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good point Frisket!

#221856 - 04/19/11 12:03 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good point Frisket!

I thought I'd get a couple of blow-up kiddie pools for water collection in an emergency. Keeping birds and rodents out could be a problem. We're not allowed rain barrels where I live but I could keep one in the garage (with a rigged siphon hose) and keep that covered. Think I'm going to get one anyway and use something less conspicuous to collect rainwater to transfer in. (5 gallon buckets maybe?)

Edited by bacpacjac (04/19/11 12:11 AM)

#221862 - 04/19/11 01:18 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: bacpacjac]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
When we lost city water a few years ago (due to flooding) my wife and I started by collecting rainwater from our downspouts in small plastic containers and quickly repurposed some large rubber maid storage containers as makeshift rain barrels. Worked OK but with 6 downspouts and 2 people we were quite busy while it rained and "lost" more water than we collected.

The next day I went to the local hardware store and bought some PVC discharge hose, 1.5"ID and very flexible, and rigged it up to the sump pump discharge with some duct tape and an 18 gallon rubber maid container as a "rain barrel". Worked great and collected about 7 gallons every time the sump ran. A little more tinkering would have reduced the spill rate but wasn't worth the effort since I had something like 150 gallons of rain/sump water sitting in on my deck by this point.

Nice thing about it is that the 40-50 gallon rubbermaid containers don't look like rain barrels and come with lids for keeping things out of the water.

- Eric

#221865 - 04/19/11 01:56 AM Re: Water Storage [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I've posted this a couple of times already, but in case there might be a new member... if you are fortunate to have lead time as in the case of a hurricane, a Rubbermaid trash barrel in your bathtub or shower allows you access to water with which to flush the toilet (pour slowly into bowl... try this before you use the toilet) and water to wash with... there is room to stand and still have a drain for the rinse water in the shower stall... a second barrel under the eaves fills pretty quickly and has yet to be moved by the wind

I have a couple of the blue 6gal water containers with spigots ... water is rotated out at the beginning of each hurricane season

I've yet to try out my Sawyer .1 micron 5gas bucket filter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.