Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#221492 - 04/13/11 07:08 PM Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

SOA is a guilty pleasure so couldn't resist the title. Below is an article in The Washington Post on Japan's biker community's relief efforts in the disaster areas. Always good to hear about peops pitching in -- and developing a greater sense of community and humanity in the process.

"Organized through motorcycle clubs, tattoo parlors and biker bars, it appeals to anarchists, outcasts, people who don’t trust the government’s efforts and who don’t donate to the Red Cross."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/toky...ry.html?hpid=z3

"The effort’s key organizers are men who built reputations as tough street fighters, drug addicts or motorcycle gang members, then outgrew them as they got sober or became fathers. They say their first foray into philanthropy has been rewarding, a way to meet new people and to give something back."

#221511 - 04/13/11 11:47 PM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Dagny]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

#221523 - 04/14/11 04:23 AM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: rebwa]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Didn't know there were such people in Japan.
I'm gonna' have to ride my big cruiser around that country some day :-)

Pete #2

#221539 - 04/14/11 12:48 PM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Dagny]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Being a biker myself, I often see the generosity of those that live life outside the normal.

Every year I join the local rides that support everything from preventing domestic violence, to cancer research, to supporting our troops. For being big tough and rough people, you would be surprised to see how supportive and caring they are.

Funny story, I had a girlfriend that was living in Colorado while I was living in Maine. She was lost and called me to see if I could Google where she was and find her directions. While I was looking up information for her, the girl she was hanging out with started to point out some bikers in leathers. My girlfriend went over to them and they got her home safe and sound. While her friend was nervous and scared of the bikers, my girlfriend knew enough about them from being with me and knew they would help her out.

Funny how those that would make most people cross the street may be the most helpful and understanding..

#221541 - 04/14/11 01:24 PM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Tyber]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Tyber
For being big tough and rough people, you would be surprised to see how supportive and caring they are.
Suprisingly true. I was in DC once for vacation and had to wait for at least 15 minutes to cross the street. Not sure if it was a veteran rally, a funeral, or what, but bikers were out in force, and amazingly genteel. (I'm sure most of them would hate that label too!)

#221586 - 04/14/11 10:13 PM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Dagny]
Pete Offline
Veteran

"but bikers were out in force, and amazingly genteel"

Very true these days, unless you run into the "bikies" from Australia. A lot of bikers here in the USA look formidable, but are in fact calm and nice people.

There aren't many hard-core biker bars left in the USA - the sorts of rough, violent places that are depicted in Hollywood movies. You can walk into most of them now, order a hamburger and a beer, and be perfectly fine (with or without any biker leather as clothing).

Pete #2

Edited by Pete (04/14/11 10:13 PM)

#221598 - 04/15/11 03:29 AM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Pete]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The mean,rough & tumble bikers still exist here in The USA & Canada,Their numbers are Larger than they have ever been!There are still Many Bars that cater to that effect,as well.They have learned over the years to,keep a lower profile in more populated area's to minimize the hassles with Johnny Law.Maybe some of our San Francisco, Montreal,New Jersey,Florida,Texas members could elaborate a bit further,or maybe not,:)

#221610 - 04/15/11 10:58 AM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Dagny]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree that bikers, like many things in life, aren't always what they appear to be or what their reputations would have us believe. I only know a few personally, but they all have a humanity that counters all those stereotypes. Doesn't mean there isn't some truth to their reputations, but there is very often more to the story.

In fact, when my car broke down the other day, a biker stopped to make sure i was ok, and try to help.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#221616 - 04/15/11 12:01 PM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Dagny]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
I often find that even the 1%ers are queit honorable. The intresting thing is that often the more rough and tumble and rugged the group is, the stricter the code of honor is.

There reponce to someone roughing up somones girl or steeling someones bike may be more extreem than what you or I may do. The fact is that if you don't cross them, well they don't bother you.

But again when it is time for a cause, or someone needing help, Brace yourself becouse they often will come out in huge numbers, and even put aside difrences to help a cause that they feel is worthy.

#221663 - 04/16/11 01:20 AM Re: Japan's Sons of Anarchy Pitch In [Re: Richlacal]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
The mean,rough & tumble bikers still exist here in The USA & Canada,Their numbers are Larger than they have ever been!There are still Many Bars that cater to that effect,as well.They have learned over the years to,keep a lower profile in more populated area's to minimize the hassles with Johnny Law.Maybe some of our San Francisco, Montreal,New Jersey,Florida,Texas members could elaborate a bit further,or maybe not,:)

Disclaimer: I ride as often as possible, which lately isn't very often.

The thing to remember is respect.

If you try to go into an establishment, and it has a couple of "Hang-Arounds" or "Probies" standing out front guarding the door, ask if the club is open or closed. If it is closed, go find your beer elsewhere.

For a Texas flair, I offer the following:

In a VEEERRRYYY BBAAAADDD part of San Antonio, I was doing some work at a cell site. It was almost dark, and I saw a fellow having motorcycle trouble just outside the compound for the tower. I let him use a phone to call for help, and helped him get his bike off the street. Gave him a bottle of Gatorade from my cooler, and told him I would check in on him when I left.

30 min or so later, there was a knock at the cell shelter door. Seems the fellow's entire club had shown up to get him. They wanted to thank me and invited me for beers and a cookout. I had to pass, and they left me a list of phone numbers in case I had trouble while in town.

I thanked them, and contacted an someone I know that is affiliated with the same motorcycle club (in another town). He assured me all was well, and he would pass a hello to the chapter in question.

Weeks later, those fellows helped me with a bad battery, when I was on my bike, almost 100 miles away at a rally. I knew they would be in the area, and they showed with a trailer in less than 1 hour.

We now stand at even, and they understand I am not interested in the 1% Club.

I still like the motto: "Support your local Bandidos".

Just keep one thing in mind, these are criminal organizations and you do not need to be involved with the "business" side of the group.

RIP OBG

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 467 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.