Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#220601 - 03/31/11 01:34 AM This time for sure - canning and preserving
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The wild greens are everywhere, Spring mushrooms are appearing, and various Spring-only vegetables [like asparagras[?]] are available. And all will soon be blasted by warmer weather and not available until next year.

This year I am going to take the plunge on a dehydrator, canning jars, and pickling supplies. I am looking at an extension service class or two.

What is the best source for canning and preserving equipment?

What is a reasonable starter set of gear and supplies?

Thanks.

#220606 - 03/31/11 02:27 AM Re: This time for sure - canning and preserving [Re: dweste]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
If you're going to do pressure canning (best for low-acid foods), you may want to start with a regular pressure cooker, rather than a canner.

Yes, it's smaller; yes, you'll have to do more repeats. But you can get a new one for under $100. (And there's nothing wrong with a good used one as long as it has all its parts.) And you might be inclined to use it more because you're doing small batches. Pick up a batch of asparagus at the farmers' market and do a batch. Clean up and it's over.

New pressure canners tend to run $100 to $300. Again, a used one in good shape is great to find.

But for either kind, the rubber gasket needs to be in good shape, or a replacement available.

Join FreeCycle and ask for unchipped jars. It's amazing how many people want to unload their cabinets and garages. Specify that you want actual canning jars, not old glass mayonnaise jars. Check every used jar by running your finger around the rim, feeling for cracks and chips, which will cause failed seals and contaminated food. Your finger will recognize problems better than your eyes. Check each jar for cracks, esp around the bottom, where a hot jar may have been set on a cold surface (or vice versa) and the bottom is ready to drop out.

Remember that there are regular jars and wide-mouth jars. If I had the option, I would own only wide-mouth jars. They are easier to clean and they hold more types of foods (esp bulkier).

If you do some canning and think you'll stick with it, watch for end-of-season sales for jars, lids and rings. Keep in mind that the rings can be removed and reused after the the jars seal, they're just to hold the lid in the proper position while cooling/sealing. Rings aren't needed for food storage. Just keep them dry, as they rust easily.

Refuse any offers of used lids of the standard type, they are not reusable. The only brand I'm aware of that is reusable are Tattler's, which I have never seen, personally. Tattler's are supposed to be USDA-approved.

Used USDA Canning Guides are fine as long as the edition is 1990 or newer. The guide was updated with safer, more current info. Save some money on a new one by using the online version for a while: Current USDA Online Canning Guide

Sue

#220610 - 03/31/11 06:52 AM Re: This time for sure - canning and preserving [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks for the great post, Susan.

I just looked into something called "Hercuglass" for canning jars. Supposedly almost unbreakable.

More reading!

#220614 - 03/31/11 10:42 AM Re: This time for sure - canning and preserving [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I've only done a little bit of canning, but I'm with Sue about finding good used stuff. If you go for all new stuff the costs will mount quickly, especially those new fandangoed pressure canners. Good quality used gear is perfectly fine. Watch that gasket though. As Sue points out, it's crucial if you use a pressure cooker,

My Grandparents had a huge subsistence garden, and canned and froze whatever was in season. Our garden is pretty pathetic in comparison so we buy most of what we can. We're usually lucky enough to have neighbours and friends share their bumper crops. The cost can add up quickly at the grocery store so buy in-season. Around here, local produce is more expensive than going to the grocery store, but I like supporting the local farmers. Thanfully, we're set-up to do smaller batches so we can do a bit at a time.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.