Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#219152 - 03/14/11 11:13 PM Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I have found a great deal about water purification dealing with biological contaminants; not much on acquiring water from industrial or farm areas. This is highlighted more because of the disaster in Japan. Major disasters like Katrina and the earthquake in Japan pollute the water with much more than bacteria and viruses. In many parts of the world (and even our country) all ground water must be considered polluted.

How do you remove chemicals and heavy metals? Is it even worth trying? Are there any products which can do it efficiently? Will they fit in your BOB? Do they require power?

#219171 - 03/15/11 01:53 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: gonewiththewind]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Carbon filter and cross your fingers.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#219176 - 03/15/11 02:26 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: gonewiththewind]
LED Offline
Veteran

Berkey filters are about the best you're gonna get. The travel size is pretty compact, but its stainless steel so weight might be a factor. Course you could always make your own using a black filter element and drilling a hole in a plastic bucket. Crude but effective.

#219178 - 03/15/11 02:54 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: gonewiththewind]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How about Distilling? I know the process of Distilling,Rids the water of containing Minerals,for the purpose of Purification/Clarity/Taste,When making Whiskey,Shine,etc.Does Heavy Metal Contamination Mock the same Category as Mineral Contamination?

#219195 - 03/15/11 04:26 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: gonewiththewind]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I would be pretty concerned about industrial contamination. I'm not sure any technique is guaranteed to remove the huge variety of junk that gets dumped down storm drains in industrial areas. I would consider that water source to be suspect.

A better approach might be to find clean water within the industrial district. There could be some in certain storage tanks, flushing reservoirs, water pipes, gutters on roofs etc. You might be better to scrounge around ... but look for pure water.

other Pete

Edited by Pete (03/15/11 04:29 AM)

#219198 - 03/15/11 05:00 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: Richlacal]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
How about Distilling? I know the process of Distilling,Rids the water of containing Minerals,for the purpose of Purification/Clarity/Taste,When making Whiskey,Shine,etc.Does Heavy Metal Contamination Mock the same Category as Mineral Contamination?

Check out this thread: PURIFICATION OF WATER

In particular:

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Wouldn't distillation be easier than all that filtering, treating and pumping stuff? It might be slow, but you could let it cook all day and wind up with plenty of purified water, right? Or do some impurities make it through the boiling/condensation process?

Besides which, the still could be used to produce grain alcohol for fuel and barter if SHTF.

Distillation is not without potential issues. Distillation will reliably remove contaminates that vaporize above 100C, like salts and minerals, but materials that vaporize at lower temperatures will come off before the water does. If the water is contaminated by alcohols and lighter petroleum products they will get through.

Generally, there are many finer points I'm skipping over and running a still is something of an art form, the timing of the distillation will go from the most to least volatile. In a commercial process or lab they they can finely separate the individual components by controlling the time and temperature.

There is also the matter of fuel use.

#219202 - 03/15/11 05:14 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: Mark_M]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
In a Disaster situation,such as What we are seeing Presently,I See No Shortage of Fuel!An Art Form pertains to Flavor of Finished Product,All I'm Seeking is Potable Water!

Edited by Richlacal (03/15/11 05:18 AM)

#219204 - 03/15/11 06:08 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: Richlacal]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
What about Pur packets?

Apparently its use flocculants can remove a lot of pollutants, how much exactly I'm not sure.

If I were in a situation where the only available water was highly contaminated with industrial or farm waste, an HTI filter would be my top choice. According to this FAQ it has shown 95% plus rejection of herbicides and pesticides and 85-90% plus rejection of heavy metals.

No affiliation with either of these and no firsthand experience.

#219206 - 03/15/11 06:24 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: Richlacal]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
In a Disaster situation,such as What we are seeing Presently,I See No Shortage of Fuel!An Art Form pertains to Flavor of Finished Product,All I'm Seeking is Potable Water!

I think you misunderstand the post. Different contaminants have different boiling points, many of which are lower than that of water (100*C/212*F).

In a closed system, many industrial pollutants will vaporize at lower temperatures than water, to be collected and condensed by the condensing coils and wind up deposited with your supposedly "purified" water in the collection container. So while you've eliminated those contaminants that have a HIGER boiling point than water, you still have those with a LOWER boiling point in your distilled water. And the majority of industrial solvents have a lower boiling point than water.

This could be accommodated by starting the distillation process with an open container to avoid collecting the more volatile contaminants until they have boiled-off, then sealing the system to complete your water purification cycle. The question that nobody seems to be able to answer is how long does this uncollected boil need to last for a given quantity of water to be effective. My guess is there's no fixed answer, it depends on what's present and in what quantities. If your collected water contains a large amount of a chemical with just slightly below 100*C boiling point, perhaps it would be impossible to effectively distill potable water.

Edited by Mark_M (03/15/11 06:25 AM)

#219215 - 03/15/11 10:59 AM Re: Water contaminated by industrial or farm waste [Re: Mark_M]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Could boiling in an open container first, then condensing as described work? Maybe heating to below the boiling point for an extended period to remove the more volatile elements without losing too much water? A combination of filtering, heating, boiling and chemical treatment?

Understanding the process will enable you even if you do not have all of the right gadgets. Know more, carry less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.