Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#218091 - 02/28/11 01:31 AM ACT TODAY - Nevada SB 171
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Vote & Comment Against Nevada SB171 - DO IT TODAY!

ATTENTION Nevada residents and those who do business or recreate in the state. We need you to ACT TODAY!

The Committee Hearing for the anti-knife bill SB 171 is scheduled for Tuesday at 8:00 AM. Nevada offers citizens a unique way to make their feelings known via an online poll with comments allowed.

Go to this link: http://bit.ly/i224SF

Please pass this along to every Nevada resident you know. Please post this on any appropriate online forum. A strong showing of public opinion against this bill will help us defeat it.

Please vote "Against" SB171 and provide comments to support your opposition. Below are some examples of the type of comments you can leave. PLEASE BE CIVIL! Put these ideas into your own words and add your own comments to carry the most weight.

If you are not a resident of Nevada, but do business or recreate there, make sure to include that in your comments. The Senators only care about their voters and those who can affect their voters. Other comments and votes will be ignored for the most part.

-- There is no reason to add "dangerous knife" to NV statutes because there are already
definitions for dangerous weapons in Nevada law.

-- The legislature should only legislate against bad behavior not the victimless possession of common, everyday tools.

-- Schools already have broad authority to regulate what does or does not come onto
their campuses.

-- Many rural school children carry a small pocket knife for everyday chores, should they really face criminal charges for this?

-- A two inch bladed knife may easily fit on a key ring. Do we really want to criminalize that?

-- If you are a UNION member: I am a member of ___________ Union and am very concerned that this law will jeopardize me personally because I carry a knife every day for work.

You can read the proposed bill here: http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Bills/SB/SB171.pdf

An overview of SB 171:

Nevada State Senator Sheila Leslie (D, Washoe 1) has introduced SB 171, to add to the list of weapons that the state prohibits in schools, including a so-called "dangerous knife," meaning, in her bill, any knife with a blade 2 inches or longer. Among the many problems with this bill, this new definition of a so-called "dangerous knife" would set very bad precedent in Nevada state law.

Nevada is one of the few rational states where common pocket knives are not mandated to be treated as weapons prohibited by the state from schools. Schools are free to determine for themselves what restrictions, if any, they will make.

Nevada residents should contact their State Senator and urge them to oppose SB 171. Click here to find your Senator: http://mapserve.leg.state.nv.us/website/lcb

We need your support to oppose legislation such as this. Donate today to support Knife Rights: http://bit.ly/fMccv9

--------------------------------------------------------

Knife Rights on Twitter

Follow Knife Rights on Twitter and receive the latest updates and notices as soon as they occur: http://twitter.com/KnifeRights

--------------------------------------------------------

Knife Rights has quickly grown to become America's largest grassroots knife owners organization. Invest in a Sharper Future™. Become a Knife Rights member and make a contribution to support the fight for your knife rights.

Join or Renew your Knife Rights membership today: http://tinyurl.com/qnu988

Knife Rights
America’s Grassroots Knife Owners Organization
[url=www.KnifeRights.org]www.KnifeRights.org[/url]
twitter.com/KnifeRights
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#218107 - 02/28/11 01:50 PM Re: ACT TODAY - Nevada SB 171 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Am I really reading that correctly? Under the proposed legislation I could not have a SAK in my possession when picking up my own children from school?

#218112 - 02/28/11 02:37 PM Re: ACT TODAY - Nevada SB 171 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
This is silly. During the time I was "test driving" a Victorinox Classic, the one task it could preform faster than the tool I currently use is opening up boxes. For people who stock shelves, for example, that is what they do all day, open boxes. What is the state going to band next? EMT sheers? Hammers? These are all tools. How are we supposed to do a job without tools? I realize I am preaching to the choir here.

Jeanette Isabelle

#218141 - 02/28/11 09:43 PM Re: ACT TODAY - Nevada SB 171 [Re: 7point82]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: 7point82
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Am I really reading that correctly? Under the proposed legislation I could not have a SAK in my possession when picking up my own children from school?

Correct. That issue seems to have even gotten the attention of the Nev. Police Chiefs Association.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.