Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214635 - 01/09/11 08:04 PM Poison in the night.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

#214641 - 01/09/11 09:26 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
njs Offline

Loc: Colorado
Here is another tragic story involving a running vehicle in a garage.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnew...motel-room.html

#214657 - 01/10/11 04:28 AM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
for those of you who camp or might use a tent as a survival shelter this link will take you to a test of camping stoves used to cook or heat in a tent.this is one of the first of many tests done for campers back in the 70's but the results are still valid.
check for other links to more modern Gaz burners

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Monoxide.htm

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/10/11 04:32 AM)

#214661 - 01/10/11 09:25 AM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
These sad events should be a reminder that vehicle engines should NEVER be run in an enclosed space, except of course very briefly when required to drive the vehicle in or out.

Most people are aware of the danger of running the car engine in a garage whilst someone is in the garage.
Not everyone realises the risks of a garage attached to living spaces, into which fumes may pass.

Modern vehicles are often fitted with catalyitic converters, this slightly reduces the risk, but only slightly it is still dangerous to run a car engine in an enclosed space.

Portable generators are also a risk, every year people die from useing them indoors, or outside but near enough that fumes enter living areas.

#214665 - 01/10/11 12:05 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And education too, the sound of the engine running is completely different from the sound of the (electric) fan running after the engine is shut off. I've noticed that some makers do that, the Ford/Mazda's like the escape mentioned do but other makers don't have the fan powered after the engine is shut off, this seems one case where the latter would be advantagous.
I like how the author says it has a "bag" gas tank since the escape is technically an SUV. My SIL had one and the tank was quite small to where the range was pretty limited.

#214666 - 01/10/11 12:18 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
many years ago we had a similar tragic accident involving a family of migrant children... they were sleeping in the back of a truck w/camper, and were using a charcoal fueled hibachi for heat... you may not be able to hear the source of the carbon monoxide

#214690 - 01/10/11 06:19 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

There's something wrong with the story, somewhere, from someone...

"But in the morning, the mother woke up – sick, dizzy, disoriented ... the air itself was wrong. She reached for the phone, 911, calling for help. She went into the garage and there it was, the running car. She turned it off ... threw the keys on the kitchen counter, stumbled into a shower stall to wait for the rescuers."

And...

"But the little girls stayed behind. One lay on the kitchen floor, the other on the carpet in the family room."

The mother waited overnight until there was something wrong with her to check the car. Sorry, but a 12-yr-old can tell if a car is running or not. But she couldn't even bother to check?

She threw the keys on the counter and didn't happen to notice a dead girl on the floor?

She apparently realized there was something wrong with the air, so instead of going outdoors, she got into the shower???

But both working brain cells were cranked into high gear when she tried to dodge the blame.

There's stupid, really stupid, and homicide.

Rest in peace, Amber Wilson and Caitlyn Brondolo.

Sue
(Blast and some of the other members here dislike my coming down hard on stupid parents. They must think all parents are like themselves. Well, here's one of the reason, folks!)

#214700 - 01/10/11 07:59 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This sort of incident is distressingly common, along with the trick of using a charcoal grill as a heat source. It happens every winter.

I remember when my then FIL, the furnace being down, turned on the gas oven to warm the house. I advised him that that was not a very good idea. CO poisoning is extremely insidious.

#214743 - 01/11/11 12:01 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was advsied by the furnace repair man way back when I first owned a house to boil water on the stock as emergency heat.

I also learned how easy it is to fix a furnace just by watching him and repaired it myself the next couple times things broke (old furnace).

#214809 - 01/12/11 05:30 PM Re: Poison in the night. [Re: Art_in_FL]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
check out this link from a bush walking site.scroll down a bit for the part about CO dangers with the photo of the guy in the tent.

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_StovesTech.htm#CO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.