Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#211482 - 11/17/10 10:49 PM How many of you get faced with this question?
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
The most common question I get asked is... "Why do you carry/have a ______?" If so, what is the most asked about item?

#211483 - 11/17/10 11:42 PM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
sotto Offline
Addict

Easy. Key Defender.

"To keep nosey people away." ;-)

#211488 - 11/18/10 12:47 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
(My answer started short, but then I just kept typing...)

Yes, I do get the question a lot. First off, I try to be discreet, mainly because I hate dealing with that question. The question is typically rhetorical, and the person just wants to poke fun. Anyway, if it's a good friend/family asking the question and I think they sincerely want to learn, then I answer honestly without being a smart-ass. If it's not, then I'd probably ignore the person. I don't look like I'm an approachable person. So, I don't get nosiness from strangers.

Everyday at a minimum, I carry the following:
-man bag
-cell phone
-flashlight
-spare AA battery
-spare car key
-whistle
-tiny ferro rod
-mirror
-bandana
-5 feet of paracord
-button compass
-cash
-credit cards
-driver license
-business cards
-pen
-folding knife (in pocket)

Before you starting thinking that sounds like a lot, realize that all of that stuff can be held in one hand. I have had practical use for each of those items in suburban/urban environments.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people don't understand why I carry a brightly shining flashlight. They're the same people who always need to borrow it. I should start denying them until they can articulate at least two reasons for carrying a flashlight. smirk

#211489 - 11/18/10 12:49 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
"Why do you carry Bandaids in your wallet"? I tell people it is because I am accident prone, but they usually ask the question while I am treating someone elses cut.

Mike

#211498 - 11/18/10 03:07 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: SwampDonkey]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I can't say I've ever gotten the "Why to you carry..." question. Usually it's "I'm glad you carry..." The glad part they refer to is typically my knife or my flashlight.

#211503 - 11/18/10 03:40 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
A flashlight...while lighting things up during power outages. crazy

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#211507 - 11/18/10 04:18 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Tow strap and "something to write on".

I've moved the tow strap from my own car to my work vehicle. Some of the places I have to go have a lot of trees around (mostly cottonwood) and only one way in/out. So, if a tree comes down on the road, I have to drag it out of the way with the Suburban.

"You always carry a tow strap?" (incredulously)

"Yes... aren't you glad?"

Otherwise, I don't get asked much. My friends always have a box or bag of gear, so I don't need to answer dumb questions like that from them.

Sue

#211515 - 11/18/10 05:28 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: Susan]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Most people don't understand, but the smarter ones still know to come to you if they need something.

Now, the really smart ones eventually start carrying some stuff of their own.

It's always fun when someone starts out as the former and then turns into the latter when something finally clicks in their brain.

Speaking of which, a few weeks ago a good buddy of mine stopped over my house and we were just hanging out talking by my garage. He notices all this stuff I have laid out on my garage floor (which is all the winter stuff the goes in my SUV). He asked me what I was doing with it and what it was for? I told him I was checking it to make sure everything was good before the winter got into full swing.

I could almost see the little light-bulb go on in his forehead. He said, "ya know, the only thing I toss in my truck for winter is an ice scraper.....making up a bag with some tools, supplies, and stuff like that is a really smart idea."

He just called me the other day asking if I would give him a list of my stuff so he could put something together for his truck and his wife's van. With the list I'm also going to send him two leatherman multitools...just to get them started. grin

#211517 - 11/18/10 11:06 AM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
Families and family business make things funny. For example, the tow strap, virtually everyone I grew up working with and everyone I'm related to would just expect there to be a tow strap in a vehicle with four wheel drive. It is just standard for us.

I suppose that is unusual, but it feels like it shouldn't be.

Nice thread.

R

#211518 - 11/18/10 12:04 PM Re: How many of you get faced with this question? [Re: sybert777]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: sybert777
The most common question I get asked is... "Why do you carry/have a ______?" If so, what is the most asked about item?

Lighter.

"But you don't smoke, what do you want one of them for?"

I've always been tempted to tell them that I'm a recovering pyromaniac.........

I usually mutter something about needing to light a fire under some ....hole.

Sorry, being expected to justify what and why to the wilful ignorant, as apposed to explaining to the interested get's on my wick.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 171 Guests and 57 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
5 minutes 53 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.