The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#212700 - 12/08/10 06:28 PM Walking in circles
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
There was a radio segment on NPR that seems to have survival forum implications. The segment was about why people have a tendency to walk in circles without visual cues--like when blindfolded, when you can't see the sun/moon, or on a feature-less desert. Low-visibility winter conditions would seem to be right up there, too.

The guest is actually studying the phenomenon. Basically, I guess it seems like everyone has this tendency, so it's always a risk if you ever get lost in the wild. We just don't know why.

Definitely supports the old land navigation adage to pick a geographic feature along your intended line of travel, walk to it, and repeat.

Anyway, I thought it was an interesting listen. You can access it here.

Anyone have any "walking in circles" experiences to share?

#212706 - 12/08/10 08:12 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: Arney]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I can give you a "steering" example. I was helmsman on a boat in the Santa Barbara Channel. Fairly heavy fog so no landmarks were visible. This was also pre-GPS, so I was steering strictly by compass heading. Unfortunately the dial I was using was stuck and I performed a very graceful 180 degree arc before a momentary opening in the fog clued me in. The ship's captain, with access to a better compass, had been watching this performance and decided to let it continue, doubtless in the interests of science. We were in mid channel, clear of both rocks and the shipping lanes. All of this took about 45 minutes or so.

On land, in rough terrain, it is a different story. There you will typically be traveling uphill or downhill and with the aid of a good map, it is very easy to keep on the proper course to a destination. At least I have never gotten as messed up on land as I did that afternoon in the Channel. Usually on land, my compass goes unused.

#212710 - 12/08/10 08:28 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: hikermor]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: hikermor

On land, in rough terrain, it is a different story. There you will typically be traveling uphill or downhill and with the aid of a good map, it is very easy to keep on the proper course to a destination.

Easy? That depends on a whole bunch of variables. But I have used knowledge of the terrain to that effect with considerable success, but I rate this as being highly location specific.

It really gets interesting when you add the combination of snow on the ground and reduced visibility (blowing snow, clouds, fog or all of those in combination). In a very limited set of circumstances I have had some success using terrain, wind and the direction of very faint snowmobile tracks to guide me. But stunts like that are limited to very specific routes.

Sorry, I've not had that walking-in-circles experience, but I've heard it reported. The effect has even been verified in experiments, but I can't find that link now.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (12/08/10 08:29 PM)

#212713 - 12/08/10 08:34 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The links in this thread:
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=212159
talk about a specific study IIRC.

HJ

#212723 - 12/08/10 11:10 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I recall reading somewhere it's cuz most of us are a tiny bit shorter in one leg than the other. We 'lean' a bit towards that side. Don't know if it's true or not, but made sense.

#212732 - 12/09/10 01:14 AM Re: Walking in circles [Re: MostlyHarmless]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Originally Posted By: hikermor

On land, in rough terrain, it is a different story. There you will typically be traveling uphill or downhill and with the aid of a good map, it is very easy to keep on the proper course to a destination.

Easy? That depends on a whole bunch of variables. But I have used knowledge of the terrain to that effect with considerable success, but I rate this as being highly location specific.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. In rugged terrain, it is easy to know where you are; it may be very difficult to travel, but at least you know you are not walking in circles. Usually you become slotted in a canyon or on a ridge, and there you are. I am talking about country that is typically off limits to snowmobiles. It does indeed become harder to maintain direction once you get on flatter terrain.

#212788 - 12/10/10 03:00 AM Re: Walking in circles [Re: Arney]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

When I was training in tracking, the instructor told us that people veer off toward their dominant side. He demonstated by lined us up and telling us to walk in a straight line with our eyes closed. Most of us ended up about angled off to the right.

I've also found that when dead reckoning with a compass I tend to end up some distance off to the right of my objective. This is constant whether I'm going point to point or referencing a more distant point like a mountain peak.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#212792 - 12/10/10 03:54 AM Re: Walking in circles [Re: MDinana]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MDinana
I recall reading somewhere it's cuz most of us are a tiny bit shorter in one leg than the other. We 'lean' a bit towards that side. Don't know if it's true or not, but made sense.
I don't think that was the conclusion of the study although I suppose that could be true on flat, level ground in open terrain.

HJ

#212817 - 12/10/10 06:49 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: Arney]
raven397 Offline
Stranger

A pal of mine used to be an instructor at Fort Benning in an advanced infantry school, he said that the word among the instructors was that going in circles was based on the dominant side taking over.
I heard the same thing in a college course on land nav from a USAF ROTC instructor who had formerly been the head of land nav training at the Air Force SERE school.

#212823 - 12/10/10 09:16 PM Re: Walking in circles [Re: raven397]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
One tip I haven't had the opportunity to test yet is the "Swedish compass": A 15 foot long pole that you drag behind you. If you change direction you will feel it, or at least that is the assumption.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 349 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.