Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#212758 - 12/09/10 12:20 PM Emergency Management Training
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have a group question and moderators please move this to the correct section if this isn't the best place.

Situation:
If you were given the opportunity to work at the State level on training & development for Emergency Management and were given the go-ahead to talk, discuss, etc. with any and all key persons and organizations both up and down the food chain what would be your primary topics/issues/concerns/needs to find out about?

I may have this chance in the near future and would like to have some good ideas to work with if it happens. If this comes around as I hope it will - I'll post more detail and expand on the idea. I would like to take this initial effort and just see where it goes. Thanks!

Paul -

#212759 - 12/09/10 12:47 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
1.inter and intra agency communications network evaluation/upgrade, with redundant back up system and self contained emergency power, possibly utilizing amateur radio/national guard net

2. comprehensive review of lessons learned, and dialogue of current potential threats and risk assessment to include outcome based directions to responders

3. response vehicle mobilizatiion plan and table of organization and contact for mutual aid alliance with surrounding communities and utilities companies

4. pre storage of emergency supplies, agreement that electrical power generating equipment be installed by owners of gas stations and supermarkets

5. community surveillance and warning net

6. ongoing public educational service for self reliance. dedicated shelters for families of first responders

#212763 - 12/09/10 02:16 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: pforeman
Situation:
If you were given the opportunity to work at the State level on training & development for Emergency Management and were given the go-ahead to talk, discuss, etc. with any and all key persons and organizations both up and down the food chain what would be your primary topics/issues/concerns/needs to find out about?

If this ability doesn't come with the job, I think you have identified a big problem right there.

Then two things - what are the perceived problems seen by folks out in the trenches, and what does a review/critique of past operations and situations disclose about weak areas (and strong points, as well)

#212767 - 12/09/10 03:29 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Chain of command - internal and external. Who runs what, who runs the entire show?

Responsibilities of each organization. Who does what. Down to minor tasks sometimes - like who drives the trucks that will supply the water.

Supply channels. Where do things magically appear from, what is the lag time on items? Who has the power to make things appear - i.e. who does the request have to come from and who does it go to?

#212769 - 12/09/10 03:50 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
What is/are the expected outcome/goal(s) of your involvement? A summary document of the current system? An analysis of the current system, with recommendations to improve the system? A possible reorganization of the system? An assessment of the hardware of the system (communication systems, vehicles, emergency equipment)?

Pete

#212773 - 12/09/10 05:32 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: paramedicpete]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I would visit with those on the county level such as your Emergency Management Coordinators and ask them your very same questions.

I'd also visit with your state's Sheriff's Association too.

Blake

www.outdoorquest.biz

Edited by Outdoor_Quest (12/09/10 05:33 PM)

#212778 - 12/09/10 08:30 PM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Depends on the state. Also depends how long you have to talk about the topic.

- "Dumb it down." It drove me insane when doing my NIMS certification all the beaurocratic wording they used. I have 10 years of college, and I was confused. KISS
- Communication. How to get state from the next higher tier of assistance in a TIMELY manner. How to get hold of other sub-state level resources to avoid going to the state level. Mutual aid along she state borders and the other states. How each level can talk while on a scene (same radio channels, use or disuse of 10-codes, etc)
- Financining everything. Both before and after an event. Getting reimbursement for resources utilized (ie, billing folks for services rendered)
- Priorities - sorry, but I don't think (for example) most midwest states need the same allotment of resources to terrorist threats as to, say, travel disruption, floods and droughts.
- Education of the citizens. Emphasizing self-reliance for the short term. Maybe offer tax-free days on emergency supplies (VA has this idea in place)
- Caches. Transporting supplies to areas needed. HOW are you moving supplies (rail? 18-wheelers? Fuel for those items? How to get the transport vehicle from where they are, to the cache, and then to the scene. Enforcing the transport provider actually shows up to help once summoned)
- QA/QI. doesn't help if you suck every time you're needed.

#212785 - 12/10/10 02:13 AM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'd recommend that you get very familiar with: the Incident Command System and the USCG Search and Rescue Manual, as well as the Air Force's Search and Rescue Manual.

#212790 - 12/10/10 03:29 AM Re: Emergency Management Training [Re: pforeman]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
- If this position is not in one of the following locations (in no particular order):
- King County Washington
- New York City
- Washington, D.C.
- State of Virginia
- State of Florida
- State of Texas
- State of California

then you should study how they do it. One thing I've noticed from a lot of reading, and just a little bit of knowing how they operate (I don't know them all), it appears to me to be one key thing: No negative politics.

Politics is dealing with people, and you'll find that in these areas, EVERYONE is on the same page. Its very hard to have negative politics in it because of the peer pressure.

Proper coordinating and building relationships is the real key to Emergency Management. Everyone needs to be flexible and working together, otherwise, nothing works.

martinfocazio on here does emergency management and also has some "boots on the ground" experience.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.