Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#211633 - 11/20/10 11:22 AM Film Review: 127 Hours
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

It's difficult to make a suspenseful film when it's about a true story and everyone knows the ending. That was the challenge in the film 127 Hours, the story of Aron Ralston, who in 2003, his hand pinned under a boulder in a remote desert canyon, had to cut off part of his arm to free himself. Read Wil Milan's review to find out if this is a film worth seeing.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=271

Enjoy!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#211641 - 11/20/10 05:39 PM Re: Film Review: 127 Hours [Re: Doug_Ritter]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I've seen some pretty bad stuff.

I don't think I need to go to a movie about a guy with little if any common sense who has to basically gnaw his own arm off. One review I read said the special effects were so graphic and realistic people fainted.

Thanks, but no thanks.

#211645 - 11/20/10 06:47 PM Re: Film Review: 127 Hours [Re: JBMat]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The reviewer made the point that as a SAR volunteer, Ralston "should have known better." My SAR volunteer career lasted from 1958 to 1985, more or less. I can defintely state that while SAR experience does make you more thoughtful, probably more cautious, and more inclined to take precautions against emergencies, it definitely will not keep you from solo hiking.

The unusual aspect of this incident is that Ralston, in waltzing with an 800 pound boulder, suffered only a pinned arm and did not lose his life, the usual outcome of encounters of this nature.

The review was very helpful, and I note that other critics have generally praised the film, but I am strangely reluctant to see it.....

#212562 - 12/07/10 03:50 AM Re: Film Review: 127 Hours [Re: hikermor]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I understand your reluctance. I am very ambivalent to Ralston. I am simultaneously very critical of his plans to go out bouldering on his own with a very small kit and yet I admire the courage and wherewithall to actually severe a body part in order to free himself. Interesting person no matter how you look at him. Perhaps one of these days I will get up the effort to go and watch the movie.

#212571 - 12/07/10 06:30 AM Re: Film Review: 127 Hours [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Ralton's case is interesting, a combination of idiocy and determination, foolishness and courage. It's hard to believe anyone with a half a clue would have gotten themselves into that situation alone and without informing anyone of where he was going- especially someone with SAR experience. Still, he was young, and young and stupid are often interchangeable. The truth is that when it comes down to it few people would have the courage and determination to cut off a limb to save their life. I recall a story a couple decades ago where a lone woodsman had to amputate a limb after a tree he was felling landed on him and pinned him. It's a terrible thing to contemplate.

I would like to see the movie mostly because of Franco. It's amazing how he's morphed from teen heart-throb to one of the finest actors of his generation. Reviews of the movie have been stellar and it seems an Oscar nom is a near certainty.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.