Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210980 - 11/07/10 04:23 PM Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear.
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i keep trying to find Spam type cans that i can seal,really seal and not tape shut,for my own food items,a mix of good stuff and just not power bars.in the photo below is my old Storm Kit.i carried that for years wrapped in layers of plastic and aluminum foil along with the military food can.

i never opened either one until last summer when i pulled out the few things in the Storm kit for the first time.the cover shows what it's good for,a fire,windbreak and a hot drink.the Spam can of some sort of ration i never got into but the idea of having a can to heat food and drinks in,no matter how simple,seemed to be really necessary.i want a can that will seal so i don't get into it for "snacks" and the shape carries well in a jacket pocket.

here are three other items that went into that kit.a ResQpack,you squeeze it and inflate a small water wings type life jacket.i thought that might be handy for crossing small streams.i know--bad idea.. the foil bag is very old,one of the first made.i never unwrapped that but it's two heavy sheets held together with green tape.last is the Army gas shelter.like the can of rations i could get those at the local surplus store for less than a buck.i had a bunch and used them in Scouts to see how they would work as a rain shelter.the top bit is clear so you can see out but you would not want to spend much time in one as it's like a un-vented trash bag.

#211019 - 11/08/10 02:40 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Hmmm, interesting. I'll see what the lady in charge of the cannery can come up with.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#211020 - 11/08/10 02:43 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Here's one. The plastic case that carries the First Aid Kit, Individual is Spam can size, locks, and looks to be basically water proof.

Let me know if that interests you! You know how to find me Blast!!

#211029 - 11/08/10 03:56 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

wildman..plastic is no good,i want something i can put over a small fire and heat water or food in.the old Storm Kit was made to do that using a tire patch can.

#211039 - 11/08/10 06:27 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Canoedogs, how about something like this?

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#211040 - 11/08/10 07:06 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
One thing I tried and it worked, was to use one of those can openers that does not cut the metal (safety can opener/side opening can opener), but separates the seam. Once washed the lid fits nicely back on the can and it works with most cans. I have used smoked oyster tins for PSKs. I use tape, which I know you did not want to do, so you might be able to solder the lid back or if tape is a possibility consider that self-sealing silicone tape to make it water resistant.

Safet Can Opener

Safety Can Opener

Safety Can Opener

Pete

#211068 - 11/09/10 06:07 AM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

the side opener is a thought,i'll work on that over the winter,Blast i have looked a several bento and lunch box's and they have the "too big-too small" problem.i have quite a few that i bought to try out,i should post a photo to give a idea whats out there for other kit makers.

#211073 - 11/09/10 12:27 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
boomtown Offline

Loc: Indiana, USA
I've used the same idea that paramedicpete has with the safety can openers. After opening the can and enjoying all the meaty or soupy goodness, I just fill it with whatever survival stuff I want and use a small bead of JB Weld around the rim to reseal. It works great if you are using cans with pull top lids. Spam and Campbell's pull top soup cans are the only ones I have tried, but they seem to work well.

No affiliation to Spam, Campbell's or JB Weld. I just like to eat and stick things together. grin

#211075 - 11/09/10 01:16 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: boomtown]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
No affiliation to Spam, Campbell's or JB Weld. I just like to eat and stick things together.

And now Blast has to clean coffee off his computer...
That was really funny!

-Blast

#211083 - 11/09/10 04:50 PM Re: Blast, about the Spam cans--and some old gear. [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

boom--that's the best idea so far!..

Edited by CANOEDOGS (11/09/10 04:51 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.