Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#209969 - 10/20/10 01:48 AM McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I am in the market for a new PLB and have been looking at the McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB. I have read a few reports and also read Doug's Review from last year.

I am leaning heavily to this particular PLB and before I make the investment, does anyone have any personal use feedback (both good and bad) on the McMurdo 210?

A question directly for Doug Ritter, have you heard of any issues with the McMurdo since your initial review last year?

Thanks,
Teslin

John Lubbock

#209977 - 10/20/10 10:03 AM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: Teslinhiker]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Teslin,

See this ETS Thread.

Craig

#209980 - 10/20/10 01:18 PM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: Teslinhiker]
sotto Offline
Addict

I recently acquired a McMurdo PLB FastFind 210. I'm happy to report that, at this point in time, I don't have any idea how well it works.

As I recall, however, reading through the manual, I was struck by the somewhat mysterious flashing responses in response to this or that test mode, activation, whatever--that signal the functional status of the unit. (Again, this is to the best of my recollection now.) It reminded me of the first Steri-Pen UV water purifying unit (paraphrasing now: "If the unit is sterilizing, it will turn green and blink twice. If not it will turn purple and buzz three times. If it's not yet completed it's cycle it will ring once and then spin around and hop up and down.").

The newer Steri unit now has a smiley face on it to show it's doing what it's supposed to. I think I would like a smiley-face on my PLB to comfort me that it's working when I'm laying next to the big boulder I just fell of off and broke my "axe".

#209989 - 10/20/10 04:33 PM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: sotto]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Originally Posted By: sotto
It reminded me of the first Steri-Pen UV water purifying unit (paraphrasing now: "If the unit is sterilizing, it will turn green and blink twice. If not it will turn purple and buzz three times. If it's not yet completed it's cycle it will ring once and then spin around and hop up and down.").

Heh. I hate electronic equipment with status messages given in the form of flashing LEDs and sounds, especially when there are different meanings given to similar signals.

#210023 - 10/20/10 11:05 PM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: Teslinhiker]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have FastFind and don't mind the "flashing Light" messaging. It is simple enough to identify the message. There are only 5 messages and they are clearly listed on the back of the unit.

I also like its small size and idiot proof operation. Tear off the cover, extend the antenna and press the button. Just what I want when I am "otherwise occupied" with staying alive.

The size, which is about the size of a candy bar, assures that I WILL have it on my belt at all times when out and about.

So far I have not had any occasion to use it (hopefully never will) but I am impressed with the user reports I have read and its reputation for ruggedness.

I have been carrying it for well over a year now and it is a great comfort to me and my family.

Nomad.

#210033 - 10/21/10 12:04 AM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: Nomad]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thanks all for the info so far.

In the thread link that Craig posted, DR recommends the ACR SARLink which costs slightly more then the McMurdo. The extra cost is not a problem if the ACR is better investment overall then the Mcmurdo.

I'll do some research on the ACR over the next couple of days.

John Lubbock

#210035 - 10/21/10 02:20 AM Re: McMurdo Fast Find 210 PLB [Re: Teslinhiker]
ChicagoCraig Offline

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Thanks all for the info so far.

In the thread link that Craig posted, DR recommends the ACR SARLink which costs slightly more then the McMurdo. The extra cost is not a problem if the ACR is better investment overall then the Mcmurdo.

I'll do some research on the ACR over the next couple of days.

The SARLink puts out an additional 1.3 watts ERP. I notice there is now a "SARLink View" version out.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, Jeanette_Isabelle), 203 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.