The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208760 - 09/30/10 08:13 PM E&E bag supplement
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
MY E&E Bag is heavy for what an E&E Bag normally carries. It has to fit in a very small space and would have to get myself many, many miles in order to reach home from wherever I may find myself stranded.

I have added a 1 man tent to my bag. I believe the extra shelter will be worth the few ounces of extra weight and bulk.

Anybody care to share their thoughts?

Edited by wildman800 (09/30/10 08:14 PM)

#208763 - 09/30/10 08:55 PM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
In my mind it depends on the terrain, climate, how likely you are to hoof it instead of waiting for rescue, and how long you might have to wait. If you want to be able to hike for several days I'd say it's a sound investment.

A tent is one item I've resisted adding to my bag. Expense is my biggest concern. My thought is that I'd be able to stay with my car or improvise adequate shelter from the Heatsheets blanket, bivvy bag, contractor bags and cordage that I do have.

#208771 - 09/30/10 09:41 PM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: NightHiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Depending upon the terrain and season, a tent could be vital or it could be dead, unnecessary weight. A well pitched tarp in a favorable location can provide better shelter than a tent erected in a cold air drainage or exposed to the elements.

Some of my most outstanding nights have been spent in natural rock shelters, no tent or tarp at all, superbly protected from the elements.

A decent one man tent is likely to weigh about three pounds, although lighter rigs are available. What percentage of your total weight does that represent and how much weight are you planning to carry?

I firmly believe that lighter is better,especially if you are walking...

Edited by hikermor (10/01/10 12:01 AM)

#208774 - 09/30/10 10:13 PM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Wolfman, IIRC, your BOB/E&E is boat based with the intent of overland return home, right (midwest?)?

A tent probably is a good idea, but have you considered ditching the "tent" part and keeping the rain fly, poles and stakes instead? Throwing down a heat sheet or a garbage bag can keep you off the ground relatively well, assuming you can keep water from flowing through.

Given your intention though, I think a regular tent is prudent

#208775 - 09/30/10 11:09 PM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I think a tent is worth having for any number of reasons.

This tent below, I purchased a few years for the princely sum of $14.99 at an end of summer camping closeout sale.
Considering it's cheap price (originally $29.99) it is a durable tent and the only mods that have been done is reinforcing a few stiches in some stress areas and giving it the occasional spray of silcone waterproofing.

I have used this tent alot for solo overnight hikes and consider it a step up from the bivy bag shelters and the bigger tent that is taken when the G/F is along for the hike. As you can see, there is not a lot of legroom inside. I am 5'9" and have to slightly curl my legs in order to fit in laying down. Still the tent is not uncomfortable and I have no problems getting a good nights sleep in it.

The tent weighs less 2-1/2 lbs and many times we also take the tent on multi-dy hikes and use it as pack storage if we encounter the typical shoulder season and inclement rainy PNW weather. The tent stays dry thanks to a small sheet of plastic that is used as a rain fly.

Although I don't foree an E&E situation anytime soon and if by chance I did find myself in that type of situation, I would ensure that this tent was on my go gear list.

John Lubbock

#208777 - 10/01/10 12:02 AM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I agree with your addition to add a tent wildman, I had done that awhile back. It is worth the weight carried, plus with the tent technology you can get a decent 1 man tent from msr weighing in at 3 lbs. Teslinhiker has the better of the idea with a much cheaper and lighter tent than the MSR. What ever route you go, just make sure it is a good tent. You can't beat the price that Teslinhiker paid.

This was my reasoning for the upgrade:
A tarp under heavy rain and wind you get soaked unless you pretty much roll up in it. Also I was carrying a mosquito net with me to keep the little critters at bay. Then I got paranoid that I would wake up with a rattlesnake using me as a heat blanket because they tend to like to crawl in sleeping bags and blankets to stay warm. So, if you look at the weight of a tarp and mosquito netting, I decided for less than 3 pounds I can have a shelter that will protect me from heavy storm rains, mosquitoes and keeps a barrier from the snakes plus it is quick to set up in a storm, no trees to find like a hammock because it is free standing and no poles I have to make in a storm and attach para-cord to hold down a tarp. I took the tent and put them in a freezer bag and pulled a vacuum on it and it is virtually no room and extremely light and ready when I needed it. Plus you have a floor.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/fast-and-light-tents/hubba-hp/product

Edited by falcon5000 (10/01/10 12:11 AM)

#208778 - 10/01/10 12:15 AM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I don't know what you have for a one man tent that weighs ounces, but I have a lightweight nylon tarp in my GHB to provide a roof for that specific kit. The tarp weighs ounces and can be reused many times.

#208784 - 10/01/10 01:54 AM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: wildman800]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately for some of us,Including myself,I've found the only type of 1-man tent,that would fit my 76" length,Are the Very expensive,4-season Bivvy-type tents!I am not plunking down $350.00 for one,Plus they are heavy as All get out.The Sil-Nylon tarp at 2lbs- 96"x60" for $65.00 works for me,So far!If you can fit a Tent to yourself,& Pack that sucker for Endless Klicks,I say Most Definitely do so!When I was in the Military,I could sleep on a 2x4,& Wake up on a 2x4,That ability has evaded me Now!

#208793 - 10/01/10 04:24 AM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: Russ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I'm not disputing that silnylon tarps or any of that order are not the way to go if you are weight conscience, but you can get tents that are in the 32 -48 oz range (2-3 lbs assuming 16 oz equals 1lb) and yes some are not cheap nor are they for everybody. I'm just saying for a few lbs more the benefit may be worth if that's all.

#208802 - 10/01/10 12:46 PM Re: E&E bag supplement [Re: falcon5000]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Agree. I have a mild climate to deal with for that kit. A one man tent is better if the climate demands it, but it won't come in at ounces. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.