The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#208609 - 09/27/10 12:58 AM Review: The Forager's Harvest DVD
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Being a teacher of wild edibles, I'm constantly adding to my library of edible wild plant books. Two of the best books out there for new foragers is Samuel Thayer's Nature's Garden and The Forager's Harvest. They go into deep detail on locating, identifying, and preparing foraged foods. Unlike most books that have only one picture of each plant, Thayer includes multiple pictures of the plants throughout their lifecycle which greatly assists in plant identification.

I've been foraging all my life but Samual Thayer makes me feel like a novice. So I was very excited to hear he has released a two-volume DVD supplement to The Forager's Harvest. These two DVDs cover the identification, harvesting techniques, and preparation of over thirty common wild edibles. Filmed over the course of two years, each plants is shown in multiple stages of it's life. The high-resolution video makes it easy to clearly see the plant details.

Low-res trailer for The Forager's Harvest DVD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snpAZybSkn4

The two best feature of the DVD's are when he shows harvesting techniques and preparation of the foods. Most books only say what is edible and leave it to the reader to figure out how to harvest them. Thayer shows wonderful tricks and easily-made devices to help with harvesting. For instance, most people would try to harvest a long burdock tap root like a carrot, just trying to pull it up. This will break the root, leaving most of it still in the ground. Thayer shows how easy it is to harvest the entire root by digging a hole next to it then pulling it sideways into this hole. His milk jug cattail pollen collector is simply genius.

Of course, the reason to harvest wild plants is to eat the wild plants and Thayer again shares the many methods he's developed over years of foraging. It's one thing to read how to do something, but actually seeing someone do it, such as making sumac-ade or peeling a thistle, is so much better. You see him eat every plant he harvests, along with whatever steps are needed to make the food ready to eat.

On a technical side, I did have some minor issues with the DVD's "disk menu" in that it would only let me pick half of the plants available but if I chose "play all" this wasn't a problem.

Be aware that not every plant Thayer discusses may be available in your location. Blame God for that, though. grin

Disclaimer: I don't get any money from this, yadda yadda yadda...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#208621 - 09/27/10 06:21 AM Re: Review: The Forager's Harvest DVD [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Thanks for the review and heads-up, Blast. I'll have to look into purchasing a copy.

Thanks!

#208622 - 09/27/10 06:26 AM Re: Review: The Forager's Harvest DVD [Re: Blast]
Hike4Fun Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for those reviews. Thayer's book sounds especially practical. If you get real serious about eating the wild edibles, then you can look around for more references.
(Used book stores, Library book sales)

Not long ago I saw nature pictures, posted of an area, where guys were practicing buscraft/survival. A vine (obvious to me, a grape vine) was discussed for positive id; so we all need to practice.
BTW, wild grape vines can be propagated by pinning a vine to the ground and covering Part of its length with dirt. It will put out roots, where you put the dirt; and you can dig up the satellite grape plant for transplanting.
This cloning cannot be done with regular grape vines because they
are composed of 2 parts: wild root, domesticated upper vine.

I believe most moist areas or stream systems, in the USA, have wild grape vines. You could be a Johnny GrapeSeed.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.