The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208256 - 09/18/10 01:58 AM Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
It has been a busy late summer season around here for SAR. This particular incident was a tragedy in the making if were not for a satellite phone. The area these people were headed to, had they reached it, is very rugged and is no place for amateurs nor the unprepared. At the end of the linked article is another ongoing SAR operation involving another missing couple that in all likelihood, will not have a good outcome.

A German film crew's expedition to the B.C. wilderness came to a dramatic end this week when they were hauled out of the forest, soaked and hypothermic, by members of North Shore Rescue.

The seven-person documentary team set out on foot into the woods Sept. 9, bound for the Terra Rosa Glacier northwest of Harrison Lake. They had no proper raingear and only one tarp between them, and had accidentally left their camp stoves in their vehicles. When the weather took a turn for the worse, the group got drenched. A cold night in the forest in wet sleeping bags left them in a bad state the next day. Several members of the crew soon started to develop hypothermia.

Late on the second day of their excursion, with one of the hikers developing an additional medical problem, the group decided to call for help. They had a satellite phone, but for some reason were unable to dial 9-1-1. Desperate, the crew dug up a receipt for equipment they had bought in Squamish and called the phone number printed on it. A clerk at the store passed their distress call on to emergency services.

John Lubbock

#208257 - 09/18/10 02:19 AM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
A Documentary Film Crew? No research conducted before hand?Those links you provided would be enough research in itself!That terrain requires Full-Equipment,With Porters,Mach Schnell!

#208259 - 09/18/10 02:29 AM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Let's hope the gene pool is very shallow and does not continue

#208264 - 09/18/10 04:27 AM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: kd7fqd]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The line in the story that caught my eye (referring to another ongoing SAR operation): "The couple were well equipped but didn't have a map or compass."

Talk about a contradiction!

#208271 - 09/18/10 06:53 PM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wow, thats not like the Germans to be so unprepared. They are the masters of Uber efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcIOqWpZlXI

'Jawohl Mein Fuhrer, I have to report a most terrible oversight, we have forgotten the tents, the waterproof jackets and over trousers, the camping stoves, the axe, the matches, the lighter and the Luger. But we have as many Condoms as we could possibly use.'

Well most of the time they are!! whistle

#208272 - 09/18/10 09:30 PM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Besides the fairly obvious "failings" leading up to the photographers' rescue, I was struck by something this event has in common with the couple recently rescued in the Waterton Lakes National Park area (BruceZed's Sept. 9th post: 31 Hours Stranded on Akimina Ridge).

A quote from that narrative: "I had foolishly taken out my fire starter the night before to start a fire where we were camping and had not put it back in my pack."

And similarly, the photographers "...accidentally left their camp stoves in their vehicles."

And the missing couple mentioned towards end of photographers'-rescue article: "The couple were well equipped, but didn't have a map or compass." Strictly speculation: How did authorities know this information? Did they find the map and compass left behind in hikers' vehicle? If so, suggests this gear might have been forgotten. Most seemingly-experienced hikers wouldn't have left behind on purpose.

Consider aviation's all-important preflight checklist to ensure all is as it should be and that nothing is overlooked prior to take-off ... all in the interest of safety.

The importance of a pre-hike checklist can't be stressed enough.

#208273 - 09/18/10 10:08 PM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: xbanker]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: xbanker
Besides the fairly obvious "failings" leading up to the photographers' rescue, I was struck by something this event has in common with the couple recently rescued in the Waterton Lakes National Park area (BruceZed's Sept. 9th post: 31 Hours Stranded on Akimina Ridge).

A quote from that narrative: "I had foolishly taken out my fire starter the night before to start a fire where we were camping and had not put it back in my pack."

And similarly, the photographers "...accidentally left their camp stoves in their vehicles."

And the missing couple mentioned towards end of photographers'-rescue article: "The couple were well equipped, but didn't have a map or compass." Strictly speculation: How did authorities know this information? Did they find the map and compass left behind in hikers' vehicle? If so, suggests this gear might have been forgotten. Most seemingly-experienced hikers wouldn't have left behind on purpose.

Consider aviation's all-important preflight checklist to ensure all is as it should be and that nothing is overlooked prior to take-off ... all in the interest of safety.

The importance of a pre-hike checklist can't be stressed enough.

In regards to the missing couple, it appears it is only speculation about the no compass or map. There is a local forum here that has seemingly more info then the press does. One of the SAR people has posted info along with one of the missing females' friend.

The police nor SAR have not directly said the couple did not have a map or compass. The police (with permission from family) entered the missing man's apartment to see if there was any helpful clues as to the gear they had taken and perhaps more detailed info on their route. Given the time elapsed, terrain, weather, we may never know what exact gear the couple took....or did not take. I would not be surprised if the official search is called off tomorrow.

This photo was taken in the same area and on the same day the missing couple started their hike. The person who took the photo did not see any other hikers in the glacier area nor down back to the trailhead. However as the photo shows, in that terrain it would be very easy to miss someone if they were not close by.

Xbanker is absolutely right about the need for a pre-hike checklist. I always carry the same base PSK gear, however any other terrain/weather specific gear required is written down dwell beforehand and is checked off as it is put into the backpacks or the trunk of the car.

John Lubbock

#208274 - 09/18/10 10:17 PM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
... any other terrain/weather specific gear required is written down well beforehand and is checked off as it is put into the backpacks or the trunk of the car.

Precisely my routine. Especially as I get older (read: more forgetful frown ) Otherwise, more than once, I would've left behind gear that could've ruined an otherwise good time.

Re the photo ... beautiful country, but easy to see, potentially hostile under wrong circumstances.

#208281 - 09/19/10 02:13 AM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Wow, of all the places to be stuck, an evergreen forest might be one of the best: lots of conifers for bedding & shelter, plenty of wood, that wonderful pine smell... really, you can tap into your inner Kochanski there.

After working with some Germans, my American cohorts decided that when a group of Germans speak amongst themselves, they are speaking about 1 of 2 possible topics:

1) world domination
2) beer

cool

#208294 - 09/19/10 01:50 PM Re: Film crew unprepared for B.C. wilderness [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Postscript on the German film crew rescue. For the German adventure guide (self proclaimed survival trainer), this was the second time he had to be rescued in the same general area. The first time was only 2 years ago. I rarely voice any opinions on people who have called for or were in need of rescue, however this one really grates me. Some people should not be allowed in the back country...period

The 2 minute video in the above link provides a bit more info then the text news story.

John Lubbock

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.