Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204975 - 07/21/10 03:44 PM Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
The following is a revised list of emergency gear for hiking. You can view the original thread here. This list is a series of three groups of ten items each, the first ten being the classic Ten Essentials developed by the Mountaineers of Seattle Washington. My idea, for people that hike with me, is to require the first 10, strongly urge the second 10, and recommend that everyone carry all 30. Of course 30 items will not cover every and all situations. These 30 are intended to be a manageable, practical 72 hour emergency kit that will greatly aid in some of the common emergency situations that might arise on a hike (injured, ill, lost, stranded).

**The 10 Essentials**
- Map (topo, preferably around 1:25,000 scale with approx. 40' contour intervals)
- Compass
- Light (headlamp or flashlight), LED strongly preferred -- with extra batteries
- Sun protection (hat, sun glasses, sunscreen)
- Extra food & water
- Extra clothing
- Matches (or lighter or fire steel or sparker) <==at least 2 methods
- Firestarter (tinder) -- e.g. Tinder Qwick, Wet Fire, Vaseline cotton balls, candle, etc.
- Knife -- Fixed blade preferred
- FAK

**Additional Essentials**
- Duct tape
- Important Meds (3 day supply) -- Perscriptions, Antihistimines, Immodium, Anti-Inflamatory, etc.
- Whistle
- Signal Mirror
- Shelter (e.g. space blanket, space blanket bivvy sack, tube tent, etc.)
- Raingear
- Watch
- Bandana
- Insect repellent (DEET or Picaridin)
- Chapstick (SPF 30)

**Strongly Recommended**
* Multitool or SAK
- 55 gal trash can liners (3) -- Can be used as a pack cover when in camp, ground sheet for shelter, pack liner, etc.
- Needle & thread
- Squeeze light (as a backup)
- PLB
- Strong Nylon Cord -- Parachute "550" cord (Mil Spec) is an excellent choice
- Water retrieval device (straw, tubing, sierra cup, etc.)
- Water purification means
- Backup compass
- Pen & paper

Your insights and experiences are welcome.

HJ

#204979 - 07/21/10 05:51 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

That's a solid list, Jim; good work.

My only suggestion is to elevate the priority of water purification. Water is extremely important (thus its inclusion in the Top 10 items) but being able to safely use water found in the field can make all the difference in the world. When I check off "water" on my packing list, that term means "a certain amount of water in certain containers, plus a means of purification and an emergency water container".

With chlorine dioxide you can have world-class purification with very little weight & bulk in the Top 10. Even a near-weightless sheet of 20 Aqua Mira or Micro Pur tabs can be a godsend.

#204980 - 07/21/10 08:10 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
This list is a series of three groups of ten items each, the first ten being the classic Ten Essentials developed by the Mountaineers of Seattle Washington.

**The 10 Essentials**
- Extra food & water
- Extra clothing

**Additional Essentials**
- Important Meds (3 day supply) -- Perscriptions, Antihistimines, Immodium, Anti-Inflamatory, etc.
- Whistle
- Signal Mirror
- Shelter (e.g. space blanket, space blanket bivvy sack, tube tent, etc.)

**Strongly Recommended**
* Multitool or SAK
- 55 gal trash can liners (3) -- Can be used as a pack cover when in camp, ground sheet for shelter, pack liner, etc.
- Needle & thread
- Strong Nylon Cord -- Parachute "550" cord (Mil Spec) is an excellent choice
- Water purification means

Your insights and experiences are welcome.
HJ

I've never quite understood the language used in the original 10 essentials. "Extra" food and water? What happened to just "food and water"? And really, you don't need food in the 10 essentials but I would move that down to the second or even the third group because you can survive many days without food and consuming food without enough water only dehydrates you more. A few tidbits like hard candy however can be a pyschological boost.

IMHO - things like the whistle, signal mirror, shelter, cordage -- all belong in the top 10 essentials. Some people use a space blanket as the shelter, I prefer to take a ultralite tarp and use things like space blankets and gargbage bags as alternative shelters not primary means. Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Needle & thread are part of my survival kit, it is so small and light that it is worth carrying all the time. Whereas the fishing kit is only included because it is small/light and part of the original package. Otherwise, it would rank much lower on my priority list.

The meds are an add on to the 10 essentials but because of their small size and weight, I include a number of meds in my FAK including things like Benadryl. This really came in handy last week after I was devoured by mosquitoes in Yellowknife last week.

Otherwise your top 30 is right on. During my fishing trip last week I took my essentials which also included things like rain pants, toque, and gloves - which fall under the heading of extra clothing. Everyone else in the group was stunned that I carried these goodies but were glad when I was the first out with the "fire"! Being properly eqipped in my mind was a bit of overkill in their mind.

#204982 - 07/21/10 09:39 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Jim,
Love your list.

Fairly close to what I take. I tend to be the cheif Sheepdog watching the flock during camping trips and much better prepared than the others in my group. I have noticed a slight change in some of the gear my Father-in-law is carrying due to him not being fond of always needing something from me.

#204983 - 07/21/10 10:20 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
That's a solid list, Jim; good work.

My only suggestion is to elevate the priority of water purification. Water is extremely important ...
Yeah, that's what everyone is saying.

At least where I hike (in the mountains of California), once you're away from the trailheads and popular areas, the water is pretty safe to drink. I've been drinking it since the 60's with no mishaps. I think the amount of contamination in wilderness areas is exaggerated.

However, maybe I'll bump up water purification means another notch.

HJ

#204984 - 07/21/10 10:41 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Roarmeister]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I've never quite understood the language used in the original 10 essentials. "Extra" food and water?
I think the idea is to bring more than you think you'll need. For example, if I'm heading out on a six mile hike and the temps are going to be around 90, I figure I'll need about three liters of water. In terms of the 10 essentials, maybe I throw in and "extra" half liter or so.
IMHO - things like the whistle, signal mirror, shelter, cordage -- all belong in the top 10 essentials.
I basically agree with you. I feel that the 10 essentials are really only complete when you supplement them (for me, it's the second set of 10 on my list). Maybe you could remove the bandana from the "essential" category, but it has so many uses including sun protection, (first step) water filtration, bandage, etc.
Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Yeah, pretty much everyone is on me for that one.
During my fishing trip last week I took my essentials which also included things like rain pants, toque, and gloves
Believe it or not I include a lightweight fleece hat (i.e. toque) and gloves in my kit even in the summer in S. Calif. Combine a light weight fleece hat with a trash bag, and you can weather pretty much any summer mountain storm even if you're caught out overnight unexpectedly
Being properly eqipped in my mind was a bit of overkill in their mind.
I've been around too much and seen too much to not carry what I carry. If you're out much, it's just a matter of time before something unexpected happens, if not to you, then to someone you run across.

Thanks for the comments and insight.

HJ

#204992 - 07/22/10 02:01 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think it's a good list. Obviously it's going to vary from person to person and even from outing to outing. For example, if I'm up on Amisk Lake in Sask on vacation I won't bother taking more than a drinking cup and maybe one bottle; the camp draws its water directly from the lake and isn't treated in any way IIRC. For years I've dipped my cup right into the lake for a drink, and it's probably safer than my municipal water. wink Likewise I wouldn't waste much space on purification stuff, either, for the same reason. But Benadryl and mosquito repellent would be in my Top 10, I'm not sure you'd survive a night out there without some protection. Last trip up I got several bites between the time when I opened the door of the truck and the point where my foot touched the ground! That's not even an exaggeration. The skeeters could probably grab a bull moose and fly off with him! shocked

Closer to home water would be a top priority. Some kind of food would probably also be in my bag but I know enough to only eat if I can stay hydrated. Hydration is a big deal, and I always carry electrolytes and WHO forumula oral hydration salts.

Hmmm...maybe I need to list my own Top 10.

#204993 - 07/22/10 02:14 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

If you're out much, it's just a matter of time before something unexpected happens, if not to you, then to someone you run across.

Yup, my mindset exactly. How's the old saying go? "Every mountaineer should expect to eventually be involved in misfortune, if not his own then someone else's".

#204994 - 07/22/10 02:55 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice list. Even for short day hikes and fishing trips I will usually carry a brew kit consisting a cheap Titanium Cup (Alpkit) and cheap Titanium Stove (Gelert Blaze PZ micro stove) with its own piezo ignition and a small 100 gram Butane/propane gas cartridge and a few black teabags (usually Earl Grey), dried milk and sachets of sugar. Total weight is around 450grams so is not too heavy even for a day hike. The stove and cartridge, tea etc all fits into the ti cup.

Another piece of kit which I have found quite useful is an inflatable seat pad from Thermarest. It is very light weight, and when rolled up fits easily into a coat pocket and can even by used to insulate the chest area in biting cold winds.

Shelter is usually catered for on a day hike with a bothy bag. Bothy bags are useful for quick lunch time stops in poor wet and windy weather.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHmfxOBB3Ug&feature=related

The OR LightHaven looks pretty impressive as well. (I wouldn't mind having one myself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrifqMXVY58&feature=related

A Goretex rain jacket and over trousers are basically essential items to carry in this part of the world. Goretex Paclite is very lightweight with many jackets such as the Nike AGC minima paclite weighing in less than the 1lb mark.

I would personally replace the squeeze light backup with a Paklite Super Lithium Battery LED flashlight. (with a Nitze head strap could even possibly be used a primary flashlight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDeiYM_Ityw

The problem with the 10 essentials is that the 10 essentials do not cater for differing terrains and weather conditions. Priority of what is carried will vary just as to whether shelter (sub arctic mountain) becomes the highest priority over water (desert) procurement for example.

I personally wouldn't carry a PLB or carry one as I probably wouldn't be able to refrain from pushing the button just to see if it worked. This could be extremely embarrassing. wink

#204996 - 07/22/10 06:29 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Revised [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway

Squeeze light

You may want to rephrase this one for a more generic and well understood term. It took a while to figure out what you meant with "squeeze light", and I'm a borderline flashaholic!

I suggest the terms "keychain LED light" or "keychain size LED light".

I feel that the 10 essentials are really only complete when you supplement them (for me, it's the second set of 10 on my list).

For me, limiting myself to an arbitrary "X number of essentials" is limiting and really not helpful at all. But to nail the point home when educating people, those "essential" lists are very good, I think.

Another way to drive the point home is to break down into these 4 questions:

• 1) Can you get enough to drink, even if forced to stay out for a night or two?
  • 2) Can you protect yourself from the environment, i.e. being too hot, too hot, wet or eaten by bugs, even if forced to stay outside for a night or two?
  • 3) Can you find your way home?
  • 4) Failing that, will someone be able to find YOU?

1) Obviously covers the water procurement/treatment debate.
2) Covers shelter, clothing and bug gear.
3) Covers navigation and light.
4) Covers leaving a game plane with a responsible party and some means of signaling (whistle, light, bright colored gear and clothing).

Water purification can be ranked higher depending on the environment.
Yeah, pretty much everyone is on me for that one.
HJ

In Scandinavia, I drink water pretty much everywhere away from too much urbanization, industry and agriculture, and consider myself lucky that I might do so. I put the into the "locale dependent" part of priorities.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (07/22/10 06:41 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 474 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.