Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204389 - 07/08/10 01:16 AM Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork.
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I am going to do a whole series of "Thoughts and Opinions on..." anything. If you want to have everyones thoughts or their opinion on something, PM me.

The Plastic LMF Spork, I think it deserves an overall rating of 4 out of 5 Stars. It is tough, made out of PolyCarbonate, so it does contain and leech out BPA. I have used mine in boiling water, and froze it and it is still in one piece. I do not like the fact that the "Knife" is on the outer tine of the Fork, it irritates the corner of my mouth when I close on it. Otherwise, I like the LMF Spork and will include it in my B.O.B.

#204392 - 07/08/10 01:54 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: sybert777]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
My opinion on ANY plastic eating utensils is they are just not worth the hassle,& There is very little versatility,Even the spork,which displays as versatile,Really is not.They are close to,if not more expensive than the usual/standard nestled S.S.fork,spoon,knife.Some of the Many things that the S.S.(stainless steel)sets can do,that the plastic stuff cannot:Cut thru tough meat without touching the meat with your fingers,scrape magnesium shavings/ferro rods,gig frogs/fish&gut em'/clean em' skewer em'over a fire,dig em'outa' the fire,dig a Dakota fire pit,dig a Cat hole,whittle trap sets/triggers/toothpicks,cut rope,cord,string,etc.,etc.,etc.

#204394 - 07/08/10 02:11 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: sybert777]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I started off a fan. Was for several years, but after replacing four in two years... less of a fan now. The ones that died all snapped, most likely to to the abuse my EDC bags have taken, but it still failed to impress.

I've switch over to a folding spork, very similiar in concept, I think from Primus. Haven't had to do anything but clean it, and it's been whacked, crashed into, dropped, kicked, sat on, frozen, baked and boiled for a year.

And it's better for eating salad with.

Spoon side still kinda sucks.

4 out of 5

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#204399 - 07/08/10 02:37 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: ironraven]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Same with me. Fan of the LMF Spork but have broken two of them. The spork is my #3 preferred weapon of choice for eating behind #1 using my hands and #2 anything on a stick.

As a former infantry guy, I am still looking for the 'perfect spoon'. One that is strong and light of course. But also has the perfect length of handle to dig into deep MRE (or Mountain House) bags or snake it onto someones plate or into their bag without getting my hand slapped. The bowl of the spoon must not be so small that portion are not a full mouth full or so large that it is difficult to shove food in at a rapid pace.

As you can see I have put a lot of thought into this.

As to EDC, I have moved onto titanium long handled spoons from REI brand Ti Ware and Sea to Summit made from aircraft aluminum. Standard off the shelf items at REI or other outdoor store.

#204403 - 07/08/10 04:00 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: comms]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I just take a fork and spoon from the kitchen drawer and my Spyderco lockback knife and I'm all set. I don't see any need for a specialized designer wonder tool. It's a poor fork at best, not a very good spoon, a terrible knife, and it breaks. Why would I want to spend good money on that?

#204404 - 07/08/10 04:08 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: haertig]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
You know you can just get the Ti version of the LMF spork and most of the problem would be gone.

#204414 - 07/08/10 11:06 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: comms]
MichaelJ07 Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Originally Posted By: comms
Same with me. Fan of the LMF Spork but have broken two of them. The spork is my #3 preferred weapon of choice for eating behind #1 using my hands and #2 anything on a stick.

As a former infantry guy, I am still looking for the 'perfect spoon'. One that is strong and light of course. But also has the perfect length of handle to dig into deep MRE (or Mountain House) bags or snake it onto someones plate or into their bag without getting my hand slapped. The bowl of the spoon must not be so small that portion are not a full mouth full or so large that it is difficult to shove food in at a rapid pace.

As you can see I have put a lot of thought into this.

I like the way you think. crazy

#204415 - 07/08/10 11:53 AM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: haertig]
NAro Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig
I just take a fork and spoon from the kitchen drawer and my Spyderco lockback knife and I'm all set. I don't see any need for a specialized designer wonder tool. It's a poor fork at best, not a very good spoon, a terrible knife, and it breaks. Why would I want to spend good money on that?

I second that! But generally when I camp I enjoy the cooking part of it. Since I could well have more than one item cooking at a time, having 3 separate utensils (a knife, a fork, and a spoon)comes in handy.

#204416 - 07/08/10 01:37 PM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: NAro]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I know it's kind of archaic, but having metal cooking utensils is, for me one of the most important considerations for my outdoor gear.
I have had too many misadventures over "melted" cookware, flatware and containers. If it could even get near the stove or fire, it has to be made of aluminum, steel, titanium, iron or anything else that won't burn or melt.

#204420 - 07/08/10 02:53 PM Re: Thoughts and Opinions on... The LMF Spork. [Re: sybert777]
CAL Offline
Stranger

Loc: Somewhere between lost and fou...
I purchased this Ti Flatware from A.G.Russell This one. but, I'm not really happy with it. It will bend and is kind of expensive. I looked at the Hobo from case but at $80.00 will probably not buy it. Right now I am looking at the Hobo from Ka-Bar Here at $18.00 I may get two smile I have seen it for $15.00 Just shop around.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.