Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#200622 - 04/20/10 08:09 PM Hunting before there were bows or guns.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2010/04/the_kalahari_persistence_hunt.php

By all accounts humans have done this, in various forms, for thousands of years. American indians were recorded as using a variation that used a relay of hunters. By careful observation it was known which way the game would run. Which makes it possible to pre-position hunters along the route. With the deer getting weaker by the minute and hunters running at top speed but being replaced one after another the pursuit was quickly over.

Using a spear to dispatch prey is efficient and wise. Even an exhausted deer might muster a kick that could do serious damage. But I have read that hunters commonly used a knife or kept rousing the animal until it fell over dead.

#200632 - 04/20/10 09:22 PM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Early Man also would chase animals off cliffs. Even a mammoth is easier to butcher at the bottom of a cliff. If you have cliffs. Might have been tricky in a place like Kansas.

But it would have been easier to hit an animal in the head with a rock, difficulties in doing so aside.

We take an awful lot for granted, don't we?

Sue

#200633 - 04/20/10 09:36 PM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good video, I bet some Nike Creatives would like to see that Video. grin

#200636 - 04/20/10 09:51 PM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
Early Man also would chase animals off cliffs. Even a mammoth is easier to butcher at the bottom of a cliff. If you have cliffs. Might have been tricky in a place like Kansas

That's where the catapult comes in.

And for my next trick I'll show you how to read a sundial at night using a flashlight. <rimshot>

#200644 - 04/21/10 01:20 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Early Man also would chase animals off cliffs. Even a mammoth is easier to butcher at the bottom of a cliff. If you have cliffs. Might have been tricky in a place like Kansas.

At least some mammoths appear to have been bogged down in a swamp when dispatched by early hunters. Probably many were lame, or otherwise disabled. Like many other predators, early hunters were essentially culling the herd by working as opportunistic scavengers.

Bullalo jumps are fairly common on the plains of North America, although I can't recall any specifically in Kansas. What you want is a cliff that appears unexpectedly as you are moving the herd along.

#200649 - 04/21/10 02:23 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
That was a great video. Thanks for the link!

#200655 - 04/21/10 03:27 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Many of the segments in the video were over produced, but still very interesting..

John Lubbock

#200656 - 04/21/10 03:33 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Early Man also would chase animals off cliffs.

Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump in Canada is a good example of this and is now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We were in the area some years ago and made a detour to visit. It was very educational and well worth the time spent.

John Lubbock

#200659 - 04/21/10 04:31 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Teslinhiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm also impressed by the amount of equipment the group carries. Looks like the runner had a shoulder bag, mostly empty except for a half gallon of water by my estimation, and a spear. Of the three in the group I didn't see any of them humping significantly more than that either. My impression was that I stuff more into my day pack for a lunchtime hike than all three together carried. Excepting the spears and club of course.

Very 'old school'. But I thought it was interesting and inspiring.

#200662 - 04/21/10 06:01 AM Re: Hunting before there were bows or guns. [Re: Art_in_FL]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
In my neck of the woods there are plenty stone age fall traps, mainly for elk and reindeer. About 7 feet deep, covered with some boughs, grass and moss. The trap would typically also have some kind of fence that channeled the animals into the trap.

The traps work fine by themselves (sooner or later something will fall into it), but reindeer was also chased into them by groups of hunters.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.