Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#199163 - 03/29/10 02:45 AM Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
OK...

So, I keep my basic gear in a lightly modded Tactical Tailor chest harness. Right now, I'm experimenting with a configuration built around four nalgene carriers and a pair of SAW ammo pouches. The initial plan was to put my FAK in one of the water bottle carriers, and I've been looking for a hard carrier that I can put in there. First thought, duh, is a Nalgene, but it is too deep and the mouth isn't as wide as the body, so that will make it cumbersome. Second, make something out of PVC- heavy, expensive, not very space efficient. Third thought is the Gear Pod carriers I asked about a while back- expensive, but lighter and more efficient than rolling my own from PVC.

Then ZS had a small kit contest, and someone showed us an emptied Gatoraid powder container. WE HAVE A WINNER!

A little bigger around than a Nalgene, the widest part as wide as an Olicamp cup. Bah, ok, that hope is down, but for about four bucks can I be too picky?And I haven't checked to see if it will slide into a coffee can, so...

As we can see, there is narrowing of mouth ID and bottle ID, so nothing gets caught up. And I can put my hand in it, which is a plus.

OK, contents:
2 packages, each containing 2x 2-packs of J&J Nugauze 4x4 dressings. (my preferred gauze)
1 oldstyle USGI dressing
prep razor and a pair of tweezers
10 butterflies
2 pairs nitrile gloves
4" roller gauze (Curad- I'm on a budget and Kerlix is hard to find around here)
pharmacopia
bandaids (6x 3x1, 2 knuckle, 2 fingertip)
small tube carmex
2x alcohal prep pads
2x iodine prep pads

I have a very little bit more room in there, not sure if I want to pack this tight or not.

That pharmacopia:
8 psuedoephedrine, the only thing that can clear up my sinuses
6 benadryl, for reactions to too many black fly bites, lots of latex, and some other things
12 asprin
2x12 tylenol (what is the shelf life of tylenol?)
1 packet triple antibiotic
2x20 immodium
9 tums

Hmm.. I'm thinking I don't need that much immodium, I might pull one of them and put in 12 motrin. Actually, I might pull one of the tylenol packets, to.

Opinions? As you can see fromthe comparison, the pouch isn't filled by the jar. For the time being, I'm keeping my sun block, a couple hand warmers and hand sanitizer in the same pouch, over the top of this, with the hand warmers coming out in summer for bug spray.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#199166 - 03/29/10 03:50 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ironraven]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Just a thought, switch tums for ranitidine tablet, doesn't work as fast (good enough) but one lasts all day, and way smaller.

#199169 - 03/29/10 04:28 AM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ironraven]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I like kit and the container choice. I have often wondered what I could do with my Gatorade tub.

My thoughts would certainly be to sub in ibuprofen for Imodium. Ibuprofen is so good for inflammation that I feel it's more important in a FAK than either asprin or Tylenol -- though those certainly have their place.

Right or wrong, in my small FAK -- which is smaller than yours -- I have forgone gloves in favor of some additional alcohol prep pads which I plan to use on my hands if the need arises.

Have you considered adding any insect sting relief (pads) or something similar for poison ivy? Though I have never done it, I understand you can pulverize benedryl and use it on insect bites or the spot of other irritants to keep the itching down.

Some other things to consider that might fit in the Meds box: those small Fresnel lens pocket magnifier cards to aid with detail work (splinters, stingers); a needle; Hydro-cortisone cream, safety pins, single dose eye drops (like Thera-tears) and Pepto tablets.

At one point, I had Dramamine in my FAK as an anti-nausea med, but it was expensive and expires too quickly. That made it a lower priority.

A zaney idea: What about a folded sheet of paper to serve as a drop cloth so you can quickly dump the container out onto the paper -- instead of the ground -- to quickly see and access the contents.

Oh. The last bottle of (generic) Tylenol that I bought had an expiration date a little more than a year out. I don't know how critical that date is or if marketing plays a role in a manufacturer selecting an early expiration date.

#199183 - 03/29/10 01:41 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: Yuccahead]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I think ibuprofen is a better choice than aspirin or Tylenol, if you only plan to carry a single pain reliever/anti-inflammatory. Aspirin is not a good choice if someone has a serious bleeding problem. And more people seem to have negative reactions to aspirin than other OTC pain relievers. Ibuprofen also seems to be a safer choice to use in higher than normal dosages than either aspirin or Tylenol.

Aspirin might be worth bringing on its own in case of heart attack.

Drugs you use on a regular basis are worth having in your kit just because you use them regularly and might need them.

20 Immodium tablets seems like a lot, but its not as if they take up that much room.

I don't use antacids, but do have some generic Pepto Bismal tablets.

JMO.

Bob

#199184 - 03/29/10 01:45 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: Yuccahead]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead

At one point, I had Dramamine in my FAK as an anti-nausea med, but it was expensive and expires too quickly. That made it a lower priority.

Dramamine is basically a longer acting version of Benadryl. You can get the same relief from motion sickness by using Benadryl at closer intervals.

JMO.

Bob

#199193 - 03/29/10 03:54 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: ILBob]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I would forego the CARMEX and get a lipbalm with sunscreen.You can still get sun burn in winter.I would also toss in a tube of antibiotic ointment.You did include a small packet,but there could be times more is needed.If you have room a large femanine sanitary pad for large heavy bleeding wounds.Tampons are good for large puncture wounds or bullet holes.A good substitute for Kerlix is vet wrap.I get it from Tractor Supply Company.They are a chain store in rural community's.Farm supply stores usually charge around $3.00 per roll of vet wrap.

BOATMAN
John

#199194 - 03/29/10 04:16 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: boatman]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: boatman
Tampons are good for large puncture wounds or bullet holes.
I assume they're still used only as an external dressing, right? You don't try to actually insert them into the wound?

Yes, I know it may a stupid question, I just want to be sure. smile

#199198 - 03/29/10 05:27 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: Compugeek]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
This was advice from some friends in USMC and was only a very temporary fix.Idea is plug the hole to keep the RED STUFF in until EVAC and proper medical treatment.They say "everyone" carries them "over there".Would I use one if a hospital or EMS was within an hour away,probably not.If one was way out and had nothing else,maybe.They are handy for other things(improvised water filters,fire tinder,etc.)as well as their intended purpose.

BOATMAN
John

#199199 - 03/29/10 05:30 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: Compugeek]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I assume they're still used only as an external dressing, right? You don't try to actually insert them into the wound?

Yes, I know it may a stupid question, I just want to be sure.

Not a stupid question-

No, as their name implies, they are used to tamponade (plug–up) the bleeding by inserting into the wound and applying pressure.

Pete

#199208 - 03/29/10 09:51 PM Re: Please critique: Kit, medical, basic, vest [Re: paramedicpete]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Vet wrap is a nice alternative to using an elastic bandage to hold gauze pads or cold packs in place. And of course, no tape required.

Instead of a piece of paper, get a tyvek envelope from FedEx to use as a drop cloth/improvised seat.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 440 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.