Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188606 - 11/19/09 01:35 AM Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
Hey Y'all,
This is Adventureboy, I have a much used,much loved Leatherman Wave. I was experimenting with what I could put in the various small (tiny) pockets that are integrated into the leather sheath. So on one side there is a Streamlight Stylus Pro and on the other a Fisher space pen. Also inside of the sheath, on the back there is a small pouch, in this I have a small nylon pouch with a BSA hotspark, mini-match Magnesium/ferro rod, and about 6 feet of 20ga brass wire,plus 2 tinder quick firetabs. If anyone has any input, has done this before or just loves the LM Wave please let me know.

Edited by ZPadventureboy (11/19/09 01:36 AM)

#188627 - 11/19/09 12:14 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Adventureboy]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I like to carry a diamond sharpener in one of the leatherman side pockets such as

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3033

Also a AAA version of the Mini Maglite

http://www.maglite.com/product.asp?psc=2AAACELL&pt=R

If you remove your leatherman to use it, It will be a little tight getting it back in but a sharp knife and a light are the two most basic core components to my EDC, the rest come in handy too but the multitool, light and sharpener are what I use most often. Or as I like to refer to my EDU. Every Day Used

#188630 - 11/19/09 01:14 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Stoney]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Victorinox used to sell a knife and mini survival kit items that would all fit in an included leather pouch/sheath. I believe they have been discontinued now but you can still find some of the kit items sold as replacements here:

http://www.outdoorpros.com/Cat/Cutlery-Accessories/15/List

You can use the sorting feature at the top to get all the victorinox items together. The lead pencil would be especially useful with a few sheets of rite in rain paper. Not vital, but useful. There's plenty of other small items you may be able to incorporate and the price seems good too although I honestly haven't checked their shipping costs. No disclaimers needed as no affiliations, kickbacks etc. I found this when I was looking for a source for the victorinox mirrors. I didn't get the mirror (which I wouldn't consider for any but absolute last ditch scenarios; you are better off with the mirror from the Pocket Survival Pak.) but the other items appealed to the gear junkie/gadget junkie in me. Hope this helps. smile

#188631 - 11/19/09 01:17 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Adventureboy]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Great minds think alike smile

1x B.C.B. Fireball ferro rod with a split ring trough the hole. Has a photon-light and whistle attached. 8'sash cord on the other side.

In the back pocket: a cut down and folded business card that has two needles (sailmaker), 6 hooks & split shot folded in to it. There is a measured 40' of braided line (spyderwire)wrapped around the card. Two tinder-quick are wrapped into the last few turns of braided line at the top end.

Care should be taken to ensure that this is as flat as possible.

#188640 - 11/19/09 03:46 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: ]
Adventureboy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Peoria, AZ ,USA
HOOAH Izzy,

You are right, when in the field I have the LM 550 corded to my MOLLE webbing or belt.

(Hooah) = basically an affirmative of any sort.

Adventureboy

#188717 - 11/20/09 08:18 AM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Stoney]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Stoney

Also a AAA version of the Mini Maglite

Those are nice, but LED lights are nicer - in particular for survival settings. The efficiency of LEDs converting eletricity to light is just so much better. Much more light and much longer runtime. And no bulb to break - LEDs won't break unless you smash them with a hammer.

I'm a big fan of using gear that has a track record: You know it works, you know what it can do and what it can't do. Let someone else suffer the pain of "bleeding edge" technology, but do take advantage when new technology both is "track proven" and offers significant leaps in performance. Replacing that maglite with a fenix E01 ($12-15, single level 10 lumens for 10 hours, then 11 hours of fading "moom mode" light, single AAA battery, virtually indestructable) is one such leap.

#188721 - 11/20/09 11:52 AM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
I'm a big fan of LED lights myself and I have several, but I'm an even bigger fan of lights that take standard batteries, AA, AAA, C, D etc. A lot of LED lights take special batteries so I shy away from them. Ideally I like all my battery operated gear to take the same battery size.

I'm beginning to see some nice AAA powered LED lights coming on the market but i haven't seen one that fits nicely into the side pocket of a leatherman sheath.

#188731 - 11/20/09 02:32 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Stoney]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Look for the AAA mag-lite to go LED soon if they are not available already. AA versions are already available with LED though unlikely to fit in the sheath kit we are talking about. Ditto what harmless says about the LEDs but I also like Stoney's idea of universal battery size for your gear (and also something universally available as well). On the flip side I have had an LED squeeze light clipped to my work keys for over two years now. Still running on the original battery. Still a bright light as well. To beat all it was a free giveaway so presumably a cheapo light. Go figure.

Update with a link to an LED upgrade for the AAA maglite solitaire.

http://www.led-replacement.com/lt-3.html

Kinda pricey though. You might want to wait and see if mag-lite doesn't incorporate an LED into their design soon.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (11/21/09 05:05 PM)

#188732 - 11/20/09 02:35 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: Stoney]
HerbG Offline

When it comes to flashlights let me highly recommend the little Maratac AAA LED from County Comm. It is an amazing little light that outperforms many larger lights and it has some rave reviews on the Candle power forum:

http://www.countycomm.com/aaa.html

#188748 - 11/20/09 04:46 PM Re: Building a Survival Kit Around the Leatherman Wave [Re: HerbG]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I've bought countless (ok maybe like 20 or 30) E01s that I've given away as gifts. Every time I see someone I've given one to they say, "I had no idea how useful a flashlight could be!" because they have it on their keys all the time. My gifts have lit the way through blacked out DC subways stations and in otherwise un-navigable stairways. It takes a AAA and has regulation circuitry to make it last a really long time on a single cell at a useful brightness. Expect at least 10 hours at max and roughly the same brightness at half.

If you want to spend more money, buy American, and get an arguably tougher light, the ARC AAA is the way to go. It'll survive anything you can. It also only runs for about half the time, but it is awesome none the less, and what I have on my keys.

I’d recommend www.batteryjunction.com for the Fenix and www.archflashlight .com for the ARC AAA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.