Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196058 - 02/18/10 12:20 AM Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I know this area very well and is not the place to be trying to live without being adequately supplied. The area is remote, rugged and if you get in trouble out here, you might as well be on the moon. Luckily this man was saved by a passing helicopter then rescued by the RCMP and volunteers on snowmobile.

No one is exactly sure what this person was thinking, however it evokes memories of a certain person named Alexander Supertramp.

Note that Hudson's Hope is in British Columbia, Canada

From CBC.ca

A wildlife photographer who planned to spend the winter living in a remote trailer in the wilderness of northeastern B.C. narrowly escaped starving to death after he failed to pack enough provisions.

Hudson's Hope RCMP say the 42-year-old man was trapped for more than two weeks without food in the Carbon Creek area near Williston Lake.

Police and rescue volunteers found the hungry man on Feb. 1, about 36 km from the W.A.C Bennett Dam, according to Hudson's Hope RCMP Cpl. Darel Woroshelo.

Full Story link

This map shows the general area. The town of Hudson's Hope is slightly southeast and just off the edge of this map.

John Lubbock

#196061 - 02/18/10 12:52 AM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
avillageperson Offline
Stranger

Loc: ohio
If he ran out of food this early, I sounds like he seriously miscalculated.

#196069 - 02/18/10 01:55 AM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
Nice,

Waits until 17 days AFTER the food has ran out, then tries to hike out.

I wonder if he kept a diary. Sure would like to know what his thoughts were around day four or five.

The again, if he was meling a lot of snow for water, might have been able to keep a full feeling in his belly.

buckeye

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#196071 - 02/18/10 02:33 AM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness [Re: buckeye]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
There's so many things to ponder about this story. I hope he eventually decides to share what happened.

To run out this early into winter I have to wonder if he was planning to supplement his food stocks with fish and game, but failed at hunting or trapping and fishing. Then again, being a photographer he might have been more interested in getting a good picture instead.

I also wonder if he failed to compensate for how many extra calories he might need in those conditions.

#196095 - 02/18/10 03:44 PM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness [Re: Nicodemus]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
A couple of points:

1) Since he waited to walk out until "17 days AFTER the food has ran out" he was fasting for those 17 days plus the length of his walk. Hunger should disappear after 4 or 5 days and if he kept hydrated, which he seems to have he made it through the survival situation fine. He could have probably last a few more weeks if he had to.

2) Most people have no have no idea how many calories are required to live in the wilderness for months at a time. Normally I uses the standard 57KCal/Kg of body weight per day. That means 2 1/2 times the calories you would normally eat in a day.

3) Living off the land is very hard and in many areas not particularly practical. That's why the native peoples of the areas where nomadic. i.e. they moved to where the limited games was!
boreal.net

#196228 - 02/20/10 05:42 PM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilder [Re: ]
Pete Offline
Veteran

C'mon now ... you've got to look at the positives.

1. He lost some weight - it beats going on a diet
2. He probably took some nice pix
3. He got a great outdoors story to tell his friends

other Pete

#196230 - 02/20/10 06:41 PM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilderness [Re: Teslinhiker]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
There's a bit more (not much more) information here - specifically some audio from RCMP Cpl. Darren Woroshelo
http://www.energeticcity.ca/fortstjohn/news/02/15/10/starving-man-saved-near-hudsons-hope

From an ETS point of view, I'd like to know what signaling method he used when: "he was finally able to signal his distress to a passing helicopter"

#196259 - 02/21/10 02:47 AM Re: Starving photographer rescued from B.C. wilder [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I haven't heard what method he used to signal.

But from what I've read, northern pilots will investigate *anything* unusual that might be a signal. I suppose it's common courtesy in the bush, where you might be next, with two busted legs and a smashed plane, signalling like mad with a red handkerchief on a stick.

BTW, from the news reports I read, this guy refused medical treatment when they got him to town. Instead he got a ride to the nearest restaurant. And he was in the process of resupplying (I assume with ten times the chow and hopefully a sat phone) with the intent of going back to finish his trip.

If he were incompetent overall, he'd be dead already; that country, in winter, gives no quarter. The fact he's going back means he's no quitter either. I just hope he got the food math right this time.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.