Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#194345 - 01/27/10 12:24 AM "The cold hard facts of freezing to death"
PackRat Offline
Journeyman

Not sure if this has been on the site before but it is a good read.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/0197/9701fefreez.html

#194349 - 01/27/10 01:40 AM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: PackRat]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Good article!

It included the one single word that makes me cringe when I hear it in a survival situation: SHORTCUT.

Thanks!

Sue

#194366 - 01/27/10 04:59 AM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wow, going to have to read that another time when I have more time!

Maybe someone can summarize for me wink

#194368 - 01/27/10 06:15 AM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: Todd W]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Interesting read.

I've had MILD hypothermia once (aka a core of around 95 as the article points out), and I know how disoriented I was.

The WEIRD part? It was the week before Memorial Day in the Catskills in NY, in fact, it was on Slide Mountain

Mid May? Hypothermia? YEP, believe it. When we left NYC that morning it was in the 50s, and I said "Ah, what the heck, this heavy long sleave shirt and undershirt will be fine". By the time we got to the base of Slide, it must have been in the low 40s, and it was misting. By the time we got to 3500ft, we were in a snow flurry, but we pushed on. That's when it hit me - bad

Luckly, my buddies SAW what was going on, they grabbed a spare jacket (that didn't fit me), and wrapped it around me, they broke out the stove (and old Seva), and made me a big cup of Hot Coco, and got me to eat. By the time that was done, the front that had come through with the snow had passed, it was BACK into the upper 50s or 60s!

We finished the hike, but my buddies got to see what hypothermia looks like, and I got to experience it. I couldn't think, I could not really talk, I could not stop shaking. Heck, I had a pack with water and a stove too (2 stoves, lots of food water etc between us, but I only had that 2 layers of shirt (the outer a shirt-jack). Who would expect it the week before Memorial Day in the Catskills (Not normally a cold time)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#194379 - 01/27/10 02:16 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: KG2V]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
Wow. Just . . . wow.

#194395 - 01/27/10 05:47 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: Compugeek]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I had mild hypothermia hiking in July in the mountains of VT a few years back. It was cool, and raining. I started warm enough. The plan was to meet up for lunch (my hiking partner is an easy foot taller than me), then continue on to the shelter for the night. the place where we were going to have lunch was a nice shelter, about 4 miles from where we were-a nice overlook of the towns. Then, after lunch, continue down into the valley, up another mountain, where there was another shelter 3 short miles away from our lunch spot.
Well, it started off rainy-I decided to just hike in shirt & shorts, as putting raingear on I would get wet anyway. I got chilled real fast. I remember sitting down, being cold, and not really thinking that putting something on would be a good idea. I then got up & started hiking BACK the way I came. I ran into hikers I had seen earlier, and they turned me around. I convinced them that I was OK, they went on ahead. This whole time it was STILL drizzling, and about 40. I got to the point that the only thing going through my head was what I wanted to do; get to the shelter, strip, start stove, huddle in sleeping bag, drink soup. This became my mantra. I could no longer feel my hands, and, deep down, I knew I may be in trouble.
I FINALLY got to the shelter-and didnt have any fine motor skills to start my stove. I huddled, in a corner, out of the wind, under my sleeping bag. My partner, who started later than I did by an hour, fortunately came withing 20 minutes or so, got my stove started, and I got warm. That was the scariest moment I ever had-I didnt really have control of the situation at that point, and, although I was on a well marked trail, in a shelter, and potentially people would be by before I got too much worse-I didnt have the wherewithall to make competent decisions.

#194405 - 01/27/10 07:19 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: Todd W]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Todd W

Maybe someone can summarize for me wink

Executive Summary:

You really, really want to stay warm

#194408 - 01/27/10 08:26 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
An alternate executive summary: "You sweat, you die."
(Quote courtesy Mr. L. Stroud, Esq.)

A few general thoughts:

The first problem in a situation like this is changing gears, mentally. You have now left one planet, rather suddenly, and arrived on another. The rules are radically different, and so is the definition of success. Understand and accept that the game has changed, radically; and adjust your actions and expectations to match. It takes practice and experience to switch gears like that. Momentum is tricky, it can put you on the wrong track.

I have found, on some of these situations, I try to think about what an experienced person that I know and trust would do. Talk it out; sometimes out loud; if it seems weird, who cares?. It is a conversation, kind of, and believe it or not it works. What would someone you respect, someone smarter than you, do? Where would their first priorities be?

The other consideration is acclimatization: this is huge. In my part of the world, we go from +35C to -45C annually. Given a chance, even a few days, the body adapts and adjusts remarkably. To go from one extreme to the other is potentially deadly. It is not about willpower; we are talking about physiological changes that are, I believe, measurable.

Last thought:
I have often heard that a first test for the risk of hypothermia is that you can't touch your thumb to your palm. I have been "fat fingered" many a time, and I think this has merit. It's a first indication that your core is shutting down heat/circulation to your extremities. It is a simple test, and a call to action. Opinions?

#194413 - 01/27/10 09:21 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: dougwalkabout]
AndrewC Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boise, ID
I've only had one encounter with hypothermia - last spring. I wanted to get an early start to the kayaking season, so I headed to the put-in on the first 50 degree day in April. The forecast was for sun most of the day, so I took my wetsuit and drytop, but no additional layers. I swam out of my boat after flipping in the first class III rapid. My paddling partners corralled my boat, and I swam to shore with my paddle. The air may have been 50 degrees, but the snowmelt-fed river was still well under 40. I was able to get back into my boat, but was shivering pretty badly. Half an hour later, I flipped and swam in another rapid. At this point, I could barely get the skirt back onto my boat.

I could barely hold on to my paddle, and I could tell I wasn't responding anywhere near as fast as usual. Luckily, my paddling partners convinced me to get off the river. I stopped at the next possible takeout, hiked up to the road, and hitchhiked back to the put-in and my car. My partners made sure I got a ride, and then completed the run.

In hindsight, I was stupid to expect sunny weather, no matter what the forecast said - it rained all day. I was also very underdressed for the conditions. I did choose good paddling partners, who were willing to chase lost gear down for me and convince me to get off the river instead of encouraging me to "tough it out."

#194415 - 01/27/10 09:51 PM Re: "The cold hard facts of freezing to death" [Re: Todd W]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Todd: Read it, there isn't any summary.

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.