The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#193482 - 01/14/10 02:15 PM Kits for Rescue Operations
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
The possibility of a friend (MD type) going to Hati brought a question to me, which I answered to him, but I thought it would be good to get others ideas.

What would you carry for a personal kit (not the equipment you bring to help others) if you were going to Hati to help in the current crisis? Another way of looking at it (to shorten the lists) is what would you add or subtract from Doug's standard kits for this situation

I will post a more complete list of my kits over the next couple of days when I have time, but here is the basis -

The EDC items that I would carry if I were going to a wilderness area (PLB, etc.)

An enhanced pocket survival kit to be worn at ALL times, carried in a small fanny pack.

A Primary survival kit for the climate, in a small ruck that I keep in reach at all times.

My basic personal supplies for the event (clothing, sleeping gear, rations, etc.) that stays where I am supposed to be able to rest. wink

Thanks,

Jerry

#193486 - 01/14/10 03:01 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Here is the USAR list of personal equipment, a number of items are for cold weather and can be adjusted downward. The individual must be part of some operations group having some type of self-sustaining infrastructure for food, water, hygiene and rehab otherwise they will simply compound the problem.

Boots, Safety, black, Gore-Tex, ANSI/OSHA or NFPA compliant
Flashlight, battery, intrinsically safe, UL rated, w/ four spare
Hearing protection ear plugs, must meet ANSI S3.19-1974
Helmet, rescue-type, low profile, ANSI/OSHA
Helmet light, Intrinsically safe (with 2 spare bulbs
Knife, combination, folding (Leatherman-type or equivalent)
Leather work gloves, ANSI/OSHA Compliant
Lip balm, SPF 15 min
Rain gear
Safety glasses with keepers, shatter proof, with side shields, must meet ANSI Z87.1-1989 and NFPA standards
Uniform, Pants and Overshirt or Blouse, BDU Style, Navy Blue, 100% Cotton
Uniform, Jumpsuit, or two piece, Nomex IIIA
Uniform jacket, with liner M-65 or equivalent, Navy
Wool cap
Bandannas
Pack, Field, personal, system (hydration bladder optional)
Bag(s), Gear, personal equipment
Gloves, Gore-Tex/thinsulate, ski-type
Shorts, uniform, BDU Style, Navy Blue, 100 % Cotton
Heavy sweater, or equivalent, Navy Blue
Cold weather system, including jacket, pants, fleece or fiberpile liners, socks, gator, knit cap, neoprene mask, expedition long underwear,
Long underwear, medium weight
Socks, Boot
Toiletry kit, including all personal hygiene items, such as Chap Stick soap, lotion
Respirator, halfface, cartridge type, with cartridges
Pouch, Personal tool with assorted tools (ie. Screwdriver, crescent
wrench, tin snips and utility knife)
Field Operations Guide, FEMA, US&R
Hood, fire retardent

#193488 - 01/14/10 03:09 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Pete has a good list. I'm not a professional like him and I find myself waffling when thinking about this question. Could you describe your friend's situation a bit more? Because I think it gives us an idea of how much "professional" support and gear he might already have available. A few church members who are doctors, hopping on a plane to the DR then driving over the border to Port Au Prince is a much different situation than a doctor going as part of a established rescue/aid group.

By the way, anyone know the mosquito situation in Haiti? It's pretty hot there, so I would imagine that there are a lot of them buzzing around.

I wish your friend all the best. Let us know if he really does head out.

#193491 - 01/14/10 03:30 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: JerryFountain]
ajax Offline

maybe a hard hat for working in demolished urban areas?
A white hat with the red cross would help identify him as a medical professional.

Each persons PSK and FAK needs are different but for this trip I would ensure that they included:
-leather glove work gloves for moving debris
-a water filter and purification tabs, clean water is going to important if the municipal supply is compromised.
-some kind of radio to communicate with local authorities and disaster relief operations.
-a travel/secure wallet, there will undoubtedly be trouble with marauders and opportunists trying to take from a well stocked and relatively wealthy American.
-tough boots....not sure which i.e. steel toe, hiking, etc...would be more appropriate but something suited to the climate and working conditions.

#193497 - 01/14/10 05:07 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: ajax]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Much of your gear and planning depends on what you are going to do: SAR needs lots of work clothes, comm needs tools, batteries and lots of spare parts, Logistics? Paper, pens, tape, etc.

#193500 - 01/14/10 05:24 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I remember reading a story about a responder to 9/11 and the lessons learned about what to take. I thought it was here on ETS under survival stories but I can't find it. I recall there was some wonderful insight and lessons learned. Alas, I like Arney, am not a professional but the article came to mind so just thought I would mention it.

#193501 - 01/14/10 05:26 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: TeacherRO]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Multple headlamps, pocket sized flashlight and large/long Mag Light type flashlights that work on commonly available batteries. Also water purification (not just a filter), think General Ecology Deluxe and the best bottle type purifiers. Leatherman Wave tool or equivelant. Non-weapon weapons, i.e. Long Mag Light, oak/hickory walking cane, Spyderco Delica, pepper spray, as much for animal as people defense. Leather work gloves and Gortex lined leather boots. Bug repellent and headnet. N-95 masks with relief vales and nitrile gloves. Some diversions: a good book , I-pod, laptop, etc. Finally several tubes of Vicks to rub in/around her nose, because the stench of decay will be overwhelming. Good luck and God bless to your friend.

#193504 - 01/14/10 05:46 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Mark_F]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
I remember reading a story about a responder to 9/11 and the lessons learned about what to take.

I think I know that article that you're talking about. I probably have it saved somewhere but can't find it on my computer right now. You did remind me of a different article, from a doc responding to Katrina. He was part of a Disaster Medical Assistance Team (DMAT) for FEMA. Actually, isn't Jeff_M organized under FEMA, too?

Anyway, this article isn't a list of gear, but it does give some idea of what to expect mentally, if Haiti is your friend's first deployment to a disaster situation on this scale. For what it's worth--

A Doctor's Message from Katrina's Front Lines

#193509 - 01/14/10 06:06 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: Arney]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Some sort of safety vest (slime or orange) preferably with the appropriate ICS color markings/colors

I find Pete's list with BLACK boots interesting, particularly in light that the Army (and I believe USMC) have offically moved over to the Tan desert type boots, and frankly, in a situtation like Haiti, the color probably doesn't matter

The "Must be part of some self sustaining infrastructure" is CRITICAL

Grabbing some sort of NIMS guide would probably be a "good thing" if he is not conversant in ICS/NIMS, as I'm going to guess that the situation will fairly rapidly fall into a "pseduo-NIMS" operation, as many of the folks going down there WILL be NIMS aware

BTW - Plug time. FEMA has some online courses which are kinda handy to have if you are ever at an incident

Look for ICS-100, ICS-200 and ICS-700
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#193514 - 01/14/10 06:53 PM Re: Kits for Rescue Operations [Re: KG2V]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the good suggestions, but I am not looking for his work equipment, just his PERSONAL survival kit. He is part of a DMAT team, and they have good (?) lists of equipment for normal use.

An earthquake scene is different from most other disasters in that you might rapidly become a survivor as well during an aftershock/secondary earthquake. You need to be able to leave where you are instantly and be prepared to take care of yourself until help arrives -- even though you were the original response team. My first was in 1973, and the point was driven home when the location we were in was damaged by the rubble from a nearby bulding during an aftershock.

This is the idea I am floating. Sorry I was not clear in my first post.

Thanks,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (01/14/10 06:54 PM)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.