Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192599 - 01/04/10 02:48 PM field test: signal mirrors (with video)
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I originally posted this at another forum but it did not get much traffic so I thought I would share it here.

----------------------------------------------------

The survival literature is replete with the advice that signal mirrors are very effective tools and they should be in everyone's kit. I never disagreed with this advice, and have always had what I thought would be a good mirror in all my kits. A while back I stumbled across the TOPS dog tag mirror (described fully below) and while it seemed like a cool idea, I was not sure how well it would actually work. I decided to test it and get the results on video. It made sense to test the other mirrors I had as well.

My friend Bart worked with me to run the test. Bart and I have done a lot of defense, combatives and survival courses together and he did all the video editing for this mirror test, for which I am very grateful.

Here are the mirrors we tested, in the same order you'll see them on the video:

1. Rescue Reflectors 2"x3", plastic. I got this over 10 years ago based on Doug's advice. The RR model has a center aiming hole with retroreflective mesh, enabling easy 1-handed aiming.

2. Adventure Medical Kits Rescue Flash, 2"x3", plastic. The AMK mirror also has a center aiming hole with retroreflective mesh. It is a bit thinner than the RR unit.

3. TOPS Knives Emergency Signal Mirror, 2-1/8"x1-1/16", hard chromed metal. This is a shiny, chrome plated dog tag with a center aiming hole (no mesh) drilled in the middle. It comes with a rubber silencer or bumper which is easily removed. It is very thin. We tested it both with and without the rubber bumper.

4. Lid from the BestGlide survival tin, a little under 4-1/2"x3", metal. I had some of these tins laying around and figured it would be good to try it. The lid's inside surface is shiny but by no means polished or mirrored. I suspect that if you did polish it, you'd remove the thin coating that keeps it from rusting. There is no aiming hole.

5. Oval hand mirror, approx. 6"x4", glass. This was in my bathroom at home and I figured I'd give it a try as an example of a mirror you'd cannibalize from a vehicle (side mirror, rearview mirror, etc). There is no aiming hole on it, of course.

Bart and I set up on the fields of a local soccer complex. Conditions were ideal for the mirrors: clear skies, afternoon and the camera was facing roughly north. We used GPS waypoints to establish the camera's distance at approx. 550 yards. We took turns both running the mirrors and running the camera.

There are essentially 2 ways to use a signal mirror: one-handed for the mirror with a mesh aiming hole, and two-handed for the mirror with no aiming hole or a simple drilled aiming hole. Both methods are well demonstrated here by Doug.

Results

Here is the video. The youtube conversion eats a little of the fine detail but it's pretty darn close to what I remember seeing with the naked eye. The "HQ" option on Youtube gives an improved image.

Here are some general learning points we gleaned from the exercise, followed by notes regarding the specific mirrors we tested:

- For a given material's reflectivity, more surface area = brighter flash.

- For a given reflective surface, the flatter it is the better the flash. If you are improvising a mirror then you should take pains to make it as flat as possible. Otherwise you are scattering your signal light.

- A mirror with no aiming hole is hard to aim well, a mirror with a plain aiming hole is easier to aim but tiring, and a mirror with the built-in retroreflective aiming mesh hole is much easier to aim, not tiring at all and is more accurate. I quickly found the two-handed aiming technique to be tiring after 5-10 minutes of use. In a real situation this would be bad, especially if you were injured in an arm and couldn't do the technique.

- For mirrors that have no aiming device (i.e. tin lid, oval hand mirror), the bigger the mirror the harder it is to aim. This is because the bigger mirror forces your eye further out of the line between the mirror's center and the target. The tin lid was smaller than the hand mirror, and I found it easier to aim. The video shows us getting more consistent flashes (though less bright) with the tin lid than the hand mirror. It was an aiming issue, because when the hand mirror did hit the target, it was extremely bright.

- Prior practice with your gear makes a real difference. It took Bart and I some warmup time before shooting the video to hone our aiming technique. Luckily we brought along some radios so we could give immediate feedback. Using a signal mirror is not rocket surgery but you would be well served to have tried it a couple times before a real situation (sound familiar?). You might get only 1 chance to signal that plane.

- Knowing the details about your gear makes a real difference. The Rescue Flash has a removable plastic film on the shiny side to prevent scratches. It is marked "remove before use" which is great. But I noticed that the view through it's aimer was fuzzier than that on the RR mirror. Sure enough, there was a second, unmarked piece of film on the non-shiny side. Removing it made the aiming picture much clearer.

- When aiming don't try to hold the mirror steadily on target. Sweep the mirror's reflection across the target. It is this on/off flashing that really gets attention.

- When using a mirror with a simple drilled aiming hole it is very important to have the mirror close to your face when aiming it; think "nose to charging handle". You quickly lose sight of your target if the mirror is very far from the face. This may seem ridiculously trivial, but on that sunny day I had glacier glasses and a wide brimmed hat on. Only when I removed them could I get the TOPS dog tag mirror close enough to my face to aim properly.

- It is critical that you keep the mirror from getting scratched. Leave the original plastic film on it until needed. I suggest putting a protective layer on the TOPS dog tag mirror using PDA screen protector material.

Mirror specific notes:

- There is no doubt that a mirror with a retroreflective mesh aiming system is the best way to go. You can easily pinpoint the flash on your target. You can easily aim it with one hand, and it is 95% less tiring than the two handed method. The RR and AMK mirror excelled here and you can see on the video that we got the most flashes with these mirrors.

- The aiming "fireball" produced by the RR mirror was tighter and easier to aim than that on the AMK. It was definitely easier to hit a small target with the RR since it's aiming point had a smaller "MOA" than the AMK mirror.

- The tin lid was surprisingly effective. It goes to show that if all you have is an improvised mirror, don't give up hope because in the right conditions (and with some skill) it can be effective.

- The TOPS dog tag mirror is also surprisingly good, despite the fact that all the other mirrors were at least 2.5 or more times its size. With the naked eye, I felt that the dog tag did best with the bumper removed. On a mirror so small, every square millimeter of reflective area must be put to use. This little unit is a stellar EDC/first-line piece of gear. I have one in my wallet right now.

- The hand mirror had the biggest area and most reflective surface (glass), but was the hardest to aim. A scavenged mirror from a car or lady's handbag can certainly be made to work, but it is a pain.

- Based on overall performance, bulk and weight we recommend that a 2"x3" plastic mirror with aiming mesh is a good way to go. I think the RR mirror performs about 10% better than the AMK, but the AMK is a little thinner and much more widely available. You can't go wrong with either one.

- For lifeboat or other applications where bulk & weight are not such a big deal, a 3"x5" glass mirror with aiming mesh is just about ideal. With multiple mirrors, you can hand them out to each survivor in the party to maximize your chances of being seen.

Remember that signal mirrors can be effective at closer ranges even in wooded areas, as shown in this photo I cribbed off the 'net some time back:

#192607 - 01/04/10 03:23 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good review. I have both glass and plastic mirrors, all with the retro-reflective aiming mesh, it does make a difference. The glass mirrors don't scratch, so if you feel a need to practice, get a glass mirror, but keep a new/pristine AMK Rescue Flash mirror in your kit. The Rescue Flash is lighter, fairly unbreakable and as you can see in the video, it's almost as good.

#192608 - 01/04/10 03:33 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: Russ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
very good..you put a lot of work into that..thanks.i carry one in my PFD and have a smaller second one inside my pack.the advice i got many years ago from Dr who was doing a wilderness first aid class was to flash the horizon line as there are more aircraft up there than you think.do you think we should flash SOS or just flash like crazy to attract attention?

#192611 - 01/04/10 05:14 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Excelloent job and nice post. Many thanks!

#192622 - 01/04/10 08:23 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: dweste]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I admire your time put into this. Thanks.

#192625 - 01/04/10 08:43 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
There's some valuable information in there. Great work on the video.

#192628 - 01/04/10 09:13 PM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: Nicodemus]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Very nice evaluation! Thank you!

Just one teeny-tiny little note... a glass makeup mirror and a car rear-view mirror do not flash the same. The makeup mirror is made to reflect maximum light, and rear-view mirrors are 'dimmed' or coated to reduce glare while you're driving.

How do I know this? The mirror on a moving van I was driving just suddenly fell out of the holder. Since the U-Haul box extends beyond the cab on both sides, not having a mirror can be deadly, so I drove to the nearest K-Mart and grabbed a handled makeup mirror (~5x7") and some duct tape. This happened just before dusk. When everyone had their headlights turned on, the glare was truly AWFUL!

Sue

#192642 - 01/05/10 03:15 AM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
do you think we should flash SOS or just flash like crazy to attract attention?

It may not make much difference. Some years ago, some hikers (in S. AZ) in trouble signaled with mirrors and successfully attracted attention. In due course, a team was dispatched to their locality and the problem was handled. In discussion afterward, the victims stated they were sending morse code, but all that was perceived down in the valley was random flashes. The persistence of the flashes was the determining factor in sending a team.

Pilots and ship captains might recognize an SOS, but John Q. Public is probably clueless.

#192644 - 01/05/10 03:48 AM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Glock-A-Roo, thanks for making the effort.

I used to carry a genuine glass signal mirror, but always chafed at the weight, so I discarded it for lighter (and no doubt less effective) versions. (I'm down to a Coghlan's polycarbonate mirror which does double duty as a stiffener for my passport.)

I appreciate your point about being a one-arm bandit. I don't think I would be terribly accurate or effective with a bum wing and a basic mirror.

I need to look more closely at the non-glass versions with sighting capabilities. Again, probably less than ideal; but if you don't have it in your pocket when you need it, it might as well be on Mars.

#192645 - 01/05/10 05:00 AM Re: field test: signal mirrors (with video) [Re: dougwalkabout]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Thanks for posting this.

A good selection of mirrors, and a lots of good tips on using them.

I shared your experience of having the transparent film on the back of the Rescue Flash signal mirror blurring my view until I noticed and removed it.

I also agree that modern retroreflective aiming aid mirrors would be even easier to aim if the angular diameter of the "fireball" were reduced. In my experience, the "fireball" of the Coghlans or Rescue Flash mirrors are about 3x the angular diameter of the sun, whereas the fireball of the older (before ca. 1980) military mirrors with the 30/inch stainless steel mesh was almost exactly 1x the sun diameter.

Some things on my to-do list for videos like this:

(a) Scare up more volunteers so I can do a "side by side" simultaneous comparison of several mirrors rather than the sequential comparisons like this one, mine below, and this series:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJPPDD22htc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1ZP66FduI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYf2ojb2zEE

(b) Try to run my tests at a range of ~5 nautical miles (since this is the range the SAR authorities expect to be able to see your signal mirror, per Table G-13 of the United States National Search and Rescue Supplement - http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/The_US_National_SAR_Supplement_to_t_1D292FB3BF1FB.pdf ) Most of my videos are at much longer ranges - flashy, but not really the "meat and potatoes" survival situation.

(c) Include a wider range of various mirrors from the marketplace.

I've reposted my post on a similar test below:

Originally Posted By: rafowell
We tested signal mirrors today at 22 mile range, under favorable conditions, using:

(1) 3"x5" glass mirror ( GI issue MIL-M-18371E)
(2) 2"x3" plastic mirror ( American Medical Kits "Rescue Flash" model)
(3) 2"x3" stainless steel with aiming hole

I recorded each on video and put the first two on YouTube.

The 3"x5" (~15 sq. in) mirror was clearly visible at 22 miles with my naked eye - I called out dozens of flashes.

The 2"x3" (~6 sq. in) plastic mirror I saw about four times in 2 minutes with my naked eye. It wasn't because there weren't many times that many flashes heading my direction - you can see the flashes clearly in the video when I'm saying I can't see it on the sound track. I think it is just that with this smaller, less reflective mirror, only the strongest flashes were visible to me.

The 2"x3" (~6 sq. in) stainless mirror I didn't see at all with my naked eye - presumably because the metal was even less reflective than the plastic. it wasn't because it wasn't flashing in my direction - the flashes are clearly visible in the video when I'm saying I can't see it on the sound track. I also could see them when I used my 7x50 binoculars. I'm sure I'd have seen it easily at, say, ten mile range.

The air was quite clear - I could see mountains 94 miles away. The background was good and dark - you can see that in the video. He also had the advantage to signaling almost directly into the sun. Both ends were at about 1000 ft elevation.

I'd expect a bit more range if we were at higher altitude, or with stronger sun, but on the other hand I'd expect to lose range if we were at an angle to the sun.

The 3"x5" glass mirror video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWG6nRvdFiU
Background and consumer advice on this type of mirror is here:
http://www.equipped.org/phony_signal_mirrors.htm

The 2"x3" plastic Rescue Flash mirror video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtfpaMiUqQ
This is widely available, e.g. at REI or REI.com.
A good discussion of the development of this mirror is about 40% down this page:
http://www.dougritter.com/amk_psp_faq.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.