The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191930 - 12/27/09 02:24 PM Need a portable shortwave antenna
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
I'm looking at purchasing a icom rx7 and although its not the primary use of this radio, I would like to listen to shortwave. So, i'm trying to find a half decent shortwave antenna.

I would like it to be a hank of wire with a SMA connector on one end (is this enough?), but what kind of wire and how long should it be? It needs to be portable enough that I'd carry it every day.

My google-fu isn't up to par to find these details, which I would assume it would be easy to find.

I know some of you guys are hams, so hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Kris

#191944 - 12/27/09 05:53 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Kris]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
I use an Original Slinky with a 20' feed wire when RVing. I use it with medium-wave, not shortwave, but it fills the bill. It's easy to store, can be deployed quickly either vertically or, running paracord through it, horizontally.

You can find some info on them on Google.

#191965 - 12/27/09 10:01 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: PSM]
Steve Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I got this with my pocket SW radio and it makes a huge difference: http://www.countycomm.com/swantenna.htm

It just clips onto the radio's built-in antenna. I don't know how well it compares to other options, in fact I'd be interested in what some experts think about it. But it is light and compact when stowed in its own wind-up reel.

Steve

#191969 - 12/27/09 10:50 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Steve]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I have a grundig.....frs 200? can't remember right now.....anyway.....I clip a length of wire right onto the telescopic antenna.... use a gator clip. You'd be amazed at how much you can pull in. Wire lenghth? Don't remember....30-40 feet. For expediency.....grab a length of wire and see what happens.... coil it into a small tin or use the earbud holder that comes with the ear bud earphones as a spool.....that should do.

#191971 - 12/27/09 11:06 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Steve]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Steve
I got this with my pocket SW radio and it makes a huge difference: http://www.countycomm.com/swantenna.htm

I use one of these and I think it works well.

#191988 - 12/28/09 02:51 AM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: chaosmagnet]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
for listening, longer is pretty much better - get a fly fishing reel, load up a lot of say 20 or 18 gage wire (if you can find enameled 'bell wire' - that's great) - roll it up, and you're good
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#191993 - 12/28/09 04:00 AM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: KG2V]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
On the cheaper end, scrap speaker wire on a camping clothesline reel ($3 at Walmart) makes an acceptable portable antenna. You can find semi-commercial versions of this as "yo-yo" antennas.

Getting a decent connection to the SMA antenna jack is a bit of a pain. The SMA jack can be fragile and doesn't tolerate a lot of strain and hacks like just jamming a paperclip into the center socket. The best would be to solder up short coaxial cable with the right SMA connector on one end and maybe alligator clips on the other for the antenna. But if you aren't up for that solder challenge, you probably will want a SMA to BNC adapter. BNC is a larger and somewhat more common antenna connector, especially for scanners. Then a BNC to "binding post" adaptor makes it easy to try different wire antennas.

If you get serious about shortwave listening, you'll probably want to try grounding the scanner for somewhat better reception. You can try a alligator clip connection to a copper cold water line as the ground. On the scanner side, connect to the shell of the antenna connector or even some grounded part of the chassis, including the negative side of the batteries.

I hope you enjoy playing with shortwave. The glory days of "SWL" are fading but there are still stations on the air.

#192114 - 12/29/09 06:56 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: ratbert42]
Kris Offline
Addict

Thanks all!

Would something like this give you more access to other bands other then Shortwave?

I'm a N00b so be kind ;-)

Kris

#192351 - 01/01/10 03:57 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Kris]
Kris Offline
Addict

another question...

Speaker wire was mentioned as one form of wire to use... and since its a wire with two separte copper wires, does the shortwave antenna need to complete a circuit to work (i.e. go out and come back), or do you just pull apart the speaker wire to get one strand?

#192354 - 01/01/10 04:20 PM Re: Need a portable shortwave antenna [Re: Kris]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I have one of the Countycomm reel-type antennas because I travel, but this one was recently pointed out to our local ham club as a good deal, well-constructed: http://www.2wayelectronix.com/Dual-band-2m-70cm-Slim-Jim-Antenna-with-16-rg-58-dual-slim-16.htm. It covers 2M and 70cm bands very well, I'm thinking of getting one for my Yaesu HT and trying it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.