The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#189724 - 12/02/09 01:33 PM GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Hi Guys,
I would like a recommendation for a GPS to use while hiking in Colorado. I would like to stick around a $100 budget. I would be willing to look at used equipment but with electronics a cheap new one may be better than a two year old used unit.

Thanks,

David Enoch

#189727 - 12/02/09 02:22 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: DavidEnoch]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Garmin eTrex Venture HC GPS Receiver for $124

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Ventu...6938&sr=8-3

It has basic mapping functionality although for mountain work an altimeter and electronic compass is always useful as a backup so the Garmin eTrex Summit HC Handheld GPS Receiver might be a better bet although it is about $74 over your budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Summi...6938&sr=8-6

I personally just use a very basic Garmin eTrex Camo simply because it was cheap when it was on sale. All I need is a GPS reciever that will spit out an UK Ordnance Survey Grid Reference if required as a backup to an old fashioned map and compass.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/02/09 02:37 PM)

#189729 - 12/02/09 02:36 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: DavidEnoch]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Garmin foretrex 101 or 210. I have used one for a couple of years and am a staisfied user. The 101 uses AAA batteries - alkalines, rechargeables, or lithiums, while the 201 uses a proprietary rechargeable. Either unit can interface with a computer (cable is extra, I believe) for downloading or uploading waypoints. The 101 is slightly cheaper (about $100); I also prefer the flexibility in batteries.

The unit is lightweight (about 3 oz), accurate (to within 3M), and easy to use. It only displays tracks, routes, and way points, so it is best used with a paper map, something you should carry anyway.

My 101 shows altitude and I find it to be quite accurate, although it does not does not contain an separate barometer. Thanks to recent street work in my neighborhood, I know the ekevation of my hour to the nearest foot. My 101, when given a minute or two to settle in after activation, will routinely give an elevation within five feet of the true value.

I use it for hiking and it has replaced my bicycling computer, as well. In both applications, it fastens to my wrist with a velcro band. It could also attach to a pack strap or reside within a shirt pocket.

I am just a satisfied user - no commercial affiliation.

#189732 - 12/02/09 03:37 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: hikermor]
NobodySpecial Offline

I have the simplest possible Garmin eTrex H - it's about $80, very tough, runs on a pair of regular AA batteries and since it only has a simple BW screen they last a long time.

I haven't used one and I don't know how good the mapping is, but the Garmin eTrex Venture with a color screen and downloadable maps is only about $125.

EDIT- the Venture it only comes with a 1:100,000 base map, the 1:50,000 maps are about $150 per region. At that price if you want mapping you might as well buy a smart phone.

I prefer paper maps and a compass, the GPS is just a backup, so I go for the simplest cheapest model that isn't going to have flat batteries if I don't use it for months.

Edited by NobodySpecial (12/02/09 06:12 PM)

#189735 - 12/02/09 04:18 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: NobodySpecial]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
You can find plenty of used, decent ones, all over the net. It really comes down to two things for you; do you want mapping capabilities (more expensive), and how small do you want the unit to be?
I have used Garmin products exclusively-a Foretrex 101 and 201, an Etrex (yellow model), a couple other mapping Garmins (dont recall the models), a Garmin Quest (I think it is called) for my Jeep, and my current GPS60CX. All in all, Garmin is easy to figure out, and once you know how yo use one model, you can figure out them all.
For convenience, I used the 201 in the Army-it only gives tracking & grids, but thats all I really needed. My next one was the Etrex, which essentially did the same thing, but in a handheld unit (I think some of the models now you can load maps into, but I am not sure). From there, I went to a few of their first rudimentary units that are no longer available, and finally settled on my GPS60-have been happy with it for a few years now.
My suggestion for you would be either the Foretrex or Etrex models-both could be found new for less than $100. In addition to a map, compass, and altimeter, you will be good to go.
Dont fall for the "electronic compass" features on ANY models; they are only moderately accurate at best, and increase the price by roughly $100, when a REAL compass, that works reliably, would cost you $15, if you dont already have one. Most model GPS's offer one with, and one without this feature-choose without.

#189739 - 12/02/09 05:05 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: oldsoldier]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
I've been teaching GPS classes in Oregon for ten years. I don't sell receivers.

I get to see most of the models out there.

I no longer recommend the basic $80 Etrex. It's OK, works great but I find that some of the features/data entry steps is out of date and clumbersome.

The Venture HC is a fine model. Ensure you get the HC version as the older model was only just so so.

The Venture HC is easy to operate, has a nice color screen and you can download Garmin's map software on it.

My personal favorite is the Garmin 60CSx.

Glad to answer questions via my website:

www.outdoorquest.biz

#189750 - 12/02/09 06:17 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
sotto Offline
Addict

+1 on the Garmin eTrex Venture HC. I have an old Garmin Roads and Recreations MapSource CD around here and the detailed maps from that load onto the Venture HC without difficulty. That GPS also has geocaching capability which is extremely handy and fun if you're into that.

#189768 - 12/02/09 10:48 PM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: sotto]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
On the cheap end you aren't going to get many features. Still, I recommend the Garmin Geko 201. Don't buy the Geko 101, it has no PC interface. Don't buy the 301, it has extra features that are not really worth having.

Geko 201 Pros:
small, light, waterproof
robust
uses AAA batteries and will run off NiMH cells
has a PC interface to transfer data back and forth
you can upload routes and waypoints and follow them
cheap

Cons:
Batteries last for only 1 or 2 days if left on constantly
Power button can sometimes be activated in a pack (to turn unit on)
No topo map capability, but it records a trail of where you've been

I am sure there are other pros and cons, but I've used this for cycling, hiking and driving, mostly to collect data, but sometimes for getting to a destination waypoint. It's tiny and works well.

IMHO a GPS *should* be simple, and you should have the skill to use it in conjuction with a map or other navigation aids (you should also have the skill to use the map *without* a GPS).

Anyway, that's my opinion. Carry spare batteries if you are going away for more than 2 days.

A

#189777 - 12/03/09 12:17 AM Re: GPS recommnedations for hiking around $100 [Re: DavidEnoch]
sabre11004 Offline
Stranger

The Garmin Etrex is a good suggestion but I no longer think that you can purchase that one for $124.00. I think now it is around $169.00 at Campmor, but if it can be had for $124.00, some one e-mail me at (sabre11004@aol.com) and let me know because I have been wanting one for a while even since before they came out with the new model...sabre11004... laugh laugh laugh

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 399 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.