Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#189275 - 11/27/09 01:52 AM IFAK for Contractors on Battlefield
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
As a contractor in South West Asia the most immediate if not important piece of survival gear is my Blow Out Kit (IFAK). In this theater snipers, rocket and mortar attacks are a constant threat. Before deploying contractors are run through a one week orientation at Fort Benning, Georgia, were we received training on various subjects including IEDs, booby traps, and one day of buddy care/first aid in which we are thought how to use the contents of the Army’s current issue IFAK. On the day we were fitted and issued body armor I was surprised that all we got in the way of first aid supplies was an empty compass case. During training we were tought not to use the contents of our IFAKS on anybody but yourself, no problem with an empty pouch! Once I arrived in theater my first order of business was ordering an Army issue IFAK off eBay for $34 and shipped Priority Mail to my APO. It arrived new and unissued a couple weeks later. While all its components were all serviceable I decided to update it is by adding and or replacing items with; 14ga catheter, QC Combat Gauze, surgical lube for the NPA, nitrile gloves, and fresh 4” combat dressing from North American Rescue. This kit is now attached to my Interceptor Body Armor along with a Victorinox New Soldier Knife.

#189276 - 11/27/09 01:57 AM Re: IFAK for Contractors on Battlefield [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
rbruce Offline

Loc: California
Wild Weasel,
No offense, but where are you trying to go with this conversation? You don't ask any questions in your post, and in light of how the previous thread ended I don't understand why you would re-post this.

#189284 - 11/27/09 02:31 AM Re: IFAK for Contractors on Battlefield [Re: rbruce]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
The answer is simple. Members of this group may end up as civilian contractors over here, especially since the President has committed to escalating the War on Terror in Afghanistan with 34,000 additional troops, as a rule of thumb there is one civilian contractor for every soldier on the ground here. I just want to pass along what personal items of kit will come in handy.

Cheers,
W-W

Edited by WILD_WEASEL (11/27/09 02:34 AM)

#189311 - 11/27/09 03:34 PM Re: IFAK for Contractors on Battlefield [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Political post - member banned for 1 week

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/27/09 03:46 PM)
Edit Reason: Political post - member banned for 1 week

#189319 - 11/27/09 06:21 PM Re: IFAK for Contractors on Battlefield [Re: Pete]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm,

While I was in Iraq, we had no such need for an IFAK. If you are a contractor in theatre and your employer is not willing to ensure your safety and welfare, I would seek employment with one who would. There is no excuse for a civilian employee to get put in harm's way like that, except that the employer is incompetent or just plain greedy. Even KBR wasn't that bad.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.