Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#184511 - 10/07/09 08:15 PM Headlamp Test/?'s
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Has anyone had a chance to compare the Doug Ritter Special Edition eQ Hands-Free Multi-Light next to the eQ2 Dual Function Headlamp?

https://www.aeromedix.com/product-exec/p..._eQ_Multi_Light

http://www.essentialgear.com/store/p/30-eQ2-Dual-Function-Headlamp.html

Also if you come across this Doug, will there be a DR MKII Headlamp comming out?

Thanks

Edited by T_Co (10/07/09 09:06 PM)

#184529 - 10/07/09 09:50 PM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: T_Co]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
50 hours steady-on burn time for the Doug Ritter, versus 25 hours for the Dual Function variety - that calls it for me. I don't need to compare brightness or how tight the spotlight is either, the DR light is plenty bright, excellent for hanging bear bags. I don't need a flashing headlamp, so no value added by the dual function.

I have about a dozen Doug Ritters stashed in pockets and glove compartments, anywhere I may need a light. And alot of places I need a light, I need a headlamp. Affordable, reliable, long-burn time, good stuff.

(Just a happy customer, have not received anything from anybody for my opinion).

#188828 - 11/21/09 04:55 PM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: Lono]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hope you are right I just ordered three of them.

#188835 - 11/21/09 06:21 PM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: Mark_F]
Pete Offline
Veteran

I haven't seen Doug Ritter's headlamp design. Based on my old traditions, I normally use Petzl headlamps (same ones that are often used by cavers and climbers).

The main thing about headlamps (don't know if this affects the Ritter design) is that they sometimes have the nasty habit of turning ON inside your backpack. It's easy for a bump on the pack to disturb the gear and switch on the lamp. And then when you take the light out and you really need it - the batteries are dead.

To prevent this, I either carry the batteries separate from the headlamp (usually attached on the outside with some Scotch tape), or I insert a small piece of cardboard over the battery terminals to prevent an electrical connection.

Headlamps are valuable for many reasons - but they are especially helpful during medical emergencies in the dark. They allow you to keep both hands free while you are working on the victim.

Pete

#188839 - 11/21/09 06:46 PM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: Pete]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I hope your happy with the DR headlamp, Mark_F, I think you will be. I also have a Petzl headlamp in my camping gear somewhere, and my son uses one as well, they are great. My choice of the DR headlamp was made on reliability and cost, roughly 2 DRs for what I paid for the Petzl some time ago. I found I sometimes need a headlamp, and I didn't want to worry about transferring it from day pack to back pack to my emergency gear, I really wanted several headlamps all at the same time - so I chose the DR headlamp. I would hate to be 7 miles up a trail and realize that I had moved my only headlamp from my camping gear to use in my emergency supplies. I need a headlamp for medical emergencies, also while unloading shelter supplies its a big help to have a headlamp rather than juggle a flashlight and a hand truck. The DR is affordable enough to buy a handful, and buy up a stock of CR2032 batteries (bulk is better), and put them where I need them. I realize that someone somewhere will do a scientific study that finds a better headlamp, may be even better bang for the buck, and that's fine, but the DR has proven to be useful to me in all the contexts I use them in.

#188843 - 11/21/09 06:53 PM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: Lono]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks Pete and Lono. I am sure they will be fine. Pete you can check out the DR headlamp by simply going to the ETS home page and clicking what looks like advertisements on the left - look for the one with the "eq". Or just click this link

http://www.equipped.org/dr_gear2.htm#lights

Thanks again smile

#188874 - 11/22/09 03:25 AM Re: Headlamp Test/?'s [Re: Mark_F]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have been using the Brinkmann 3-LED (2 white, 1 red) headlamps with great satisfaction. They are not as lightweight as some others, but they come in a pack of two for $9.95. They also come with the three AAA's needed to run them. I believe they have Nichia LEDs in them. I have one on my bed side to use as a reading light. I typically use the red LED to read by since it is easier in the eyes; less glare. The house I live in is old and has limited (1) outlets in the bedrooms and I am too lazy to get out of bed to turn off the light. My wife liked the idea of the headlamp so much I had to go buy another 2-pack so I could have them in my backpack where they started life. I got them at the Big Orange Home Improvement store.

My $.02 and Standard Disclaimer

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.