The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#188674 - 11/19/09 10:36 PM Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT

Turns out the first sample we received wasn't a production SPOT 2 after all and wasn't waterproof in the least. We have now received another SPOT 2 and have dunked this one with better results--sort of. Read what we discovered after dunking SPOT 2 to its rated depth, as well as a few other interesting discoveries.

http://www.equipped.org/blog/?p=119
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#188698 - 11/20/09 02:39 AM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Thanks!

#188701 - 11/20/09 02:51 AM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Nice work; disappointing product so far.

#188708 - 11/20/09 04:12 AM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wow.

Someone should have their head checked. Waterproof to 5m, but gets it's buttons pushes somewhere below 4m.... Fail.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#188718 - 11/20/09 08:50 AM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: ironraven]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ironraven

Someone should have their head checked. Waterproof to 5m, but gets it's buttons pushes somewhere below 4m.... Fail.

I am grateful for Doug's excellent work, and try to learn from him and the other great minds of this forum. But to me, this test is not an indication that the SPOT is not good enough. In fact, based on Doug's experiences I am actually tempted to buy one.... I am a bit concerned about his report of bizarre behavior, but the fact that the buttons may or may not be pressed below meter depth does not worry me at all.

Let me explain: It is feasible (but not likely) that I'd accidentally drop gear like this into deep water - based on hard earned experience I try to be very careful not dropping things when the consequences is immediate loss of vital equipment. Dropping on a pavement, on a track and in a poodle is a lot more likely. Being waterproof also means I don't have to worry about rain, spray or poodles. Waterproof to 5 meters means I have a lot more confidence when I expose sensitive electronics to my "definitely needs to be splash proof" environment.

What are the chances of dropping the SPOT into 5 meters of water AND FINDING IT AFTER A FEW HOURS? The only place that could ever happen would be unloading gear from a boat onto the pier. All other places the spot would be lost forever.

I am actually rather amazed that the unit managed to send a message while inside a tube of water. I am pretty sure it would not be able to send at the bottom of a 5 meter deep lake - water is not a good medium for radio transmission.

Now there are other factors that I don't like as much about spot - thank you Doug for pointing them out for me. But water proof is no longer one of them.

#188730 - 11/20/09 02:20 PM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

I am actually rather amazed that the unit managed to send a message while inside a tube of water. I am pretty sure it would not be able to send at the bottom of a 5 meter deep lake - water is not a good medium for radio transmission.

Clearly I need to clarify my report. SPOT did NOT send a message from inside the tube. The message was sent after it was removed from the tube.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#188772 - 11/20/09 09:04 PM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: MostlyHarmless]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
What are the chances of dropping the SPOT into 5 meters of water AND FINDING IT AFTER A FEW HOURS?

The waterproof to 5m isn't so it can survive being 5m deep it's a measure of it's resistance to dynamic pressure.
If you drop it from perhaps 0.5m into the surface, or it gets hit by a wave - it's going to feel an instantaneous pressure equal to being >5m under water.
That's why your watch says waterproof to 150m, it's not so you can break the freediving record it's so you can wear it while splashing your hand hard into the water when swimming.

#188775 - 11/20/09 09:41 PM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: NobodySpecial]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...poodle?

#188777 - 11/20/09 09:47 PM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: TeacherRO]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
...poodle?

Guy 1: It's raining cats and dogs outside!
Guy 2: Are you sure?
Guy 1: Yep, I just stepped in a poodle.
grin grin grin

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#188783 - 11/20/09 10:18 PM Re: Follow-up Hands-on Report - Second Generation SPOT [Re: Blast]
NobodySpecial Offline

Ok serious SPOT question to hijack the thread.

My wife works for a government agency and has to go out to check worksites, often on snowy backroads, in the winter, in areas where cell phone reception is spotty.

There is a system to call in to a service company who are supposed to alert the office if somebody hasn't checked in for a certain time. There is also an unofficial call in to the duty team leader. Last week they had an incident where somebody almost came off the road in an area with no cell coverage.

I was going to suggest they get a SPOT for the truck.
As I understand it they can send a check-in OK message, send a local/low priority help message to the office and if all else fails call the cavalry?

For this application it seems more flexible than a ELB, and cheaper and easier to use than a satphone. And the price is low enough to slip under the radar without needing the congressional committee needed to decide to do anything in this business.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.