Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#187798 - 11/08/09 01:21 AM Signal device: bullroarer
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
In a previous thread about noisemakers in the woods I suggested a bullroarer based on what I've read about them. I figured I'd better be able to back up my statements about how easy they are to make, so I tried making some.

Executive summery: tiring to use, tricky to make without practice and mine were not overly loud.

These were carved from freshly cut (I was removing the tree from my backyard) maple. I cut the branches with a saw then split out one slab using a cheap tomahawk and the other using a Cold Steel 18" Bowie machete. They were then shaped using the Mora knife (4.5" blade). The tether was a cheap piece of Walmart "paracord".

The hardest part was cutting a good, thin, flat slab. It took me close to a dozen tries before I finally split one properly. Maybe it was the green wood, maybe it was the choice of tools, maybe I just suck at splitting flat 1/2" slabs. If thicker than 1/2" it takes way too long to carve the required airfoil shape.

Once a good slab was cut the rest of the carving took less than an hour, including drilling the hole (SWK awl). These were not sanded smooth though they are supposed to be.

Tested in their rough conditions, they did make a weird buzz/hum sort of noise but it did not seem very loud. Though it did cause my neighbor to peek over the fence. Swinging the bullroarer was surprisingly tiring and the rope created and then tore open a blister on my finger where it rubbed while being swung. Leather gloves would be needed.

So, my opinion? A properly-made one may be able to send messages quite a ways, but a hack job by some guy in the woods just wastes time, burns up precious calories, and damages the hand. I hereby retract my suggestion about making/using a bullroarer as an emergency signal.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#187803 - 11/08/09 01:54 AM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: Blast]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
WAIT A MINUTE!

"...they did make a weird buzz/hum sort of noise but it did not seem very loud."

From what little I know of them, they aren't supposed to be loud, their sound is supposed to carry. Lower pitched sounds (like what elephants make for communication) can carry over long distances.

I would suggest you get some helpers and position them away from you (I would go with upwind and downwind, myself) and see if they can hear it. If they can, move them farther away to see what the limit is, even of your crude one.

My questions: If the sound did carry far enough to be viable, how many people would recognize it? And would they recognize it as a distress signal?

In Australia, maybe. Here?

Sue

#187810 - 11/08/09 04:31 AM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: Susan]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
test and try is better than just b.s.--you put a lot of work into that,thanks.

#187821 - 11/08/09 05:46 PM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: Blast]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
There are other drawbacks as well:

Bullroarer!

#187822 - 11/08/09 05:59 PM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: PSM]
Xterior Offline

On youtube there is a video with a guy who uses a plastic spoon and a rubber band.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Z-zEXEb6o

#187827 - 11/08/09 10:46 PM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: PSM]
BigToe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: PSM
There are other drawbacks as well:

Bullroarer!

Too funny! Blast, thanks for sharing your experience. After the original post I did some research and hope to get some time to make a few also. I wonder if the denser woods, like ironwood, might be better.

#187837 - 11/08/09 11:45 PM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: BigToe]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Would it be easier to spin if you tie the loose string end to 2 foot stick/handle?

#187839 - 11/08/09 11:45 PM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: BigToe]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Good experiment.

I wouldn't be surprised if using wet (uncured) wood was a factor. Dry, dense hardwood resonates quite impressively. Wet wood is more like a bag of sand, absorbing vibration.

#187849 - 11/09/09 02:50 AM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: Susan]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Susan

My questions: If the sound did carry far enough to be viable, how many people would recognize it? And would they recognize it as a distress signal?

That is the underlying problem with all of our solutions. We are making noise, but how likely are the recipients to recognize our sounds, flashes, or whatever, as distress signals. People can be very obtuse at times.

#187851 - 11/09/09 03:16 AM Re: Signal device: bullroarer [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Guess you need to mimic sounds people will stampede toward.

Free beer! Free beer!

On sale! 90 percent off! Today only!

grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.