The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#186843 - 10/29/09 06:24 PM Here is a neat little knife for the survival tin
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
Here is a neat little knife for the survival tin. I had to order one.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686789

David Enoch

#186846 - 10/29/09 06:31 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival tin [Re: DavidEnoch]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The knife looks good but is very expensive for what you are getting. It looks awkward to use and even slightly dangerous in use, although I would need to handle one to be sure of that. I just put one of these el cheapo knifes into my survival tin.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19364

#186850 - 10/29/09 07:04 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
It would seem like an "el cheapo" folder would be just asking for trouble - considering its role is to get you through a survival situation. Being a Scout leader I see a lot of cheap folder breaking.

Just the other weekend a boy had brought along a nice looking REI-branded knife, and a screw came out and it kind of fell apart on him. I don't know who made it for REI, but I'd be hesitant about their knives. I just looked at their web site - there is only one REI knife - a mini-multi-tool I think that was the one that broke.

You might consider one of Doug's CRKT Mk5 fixed blade knives for only about $18 (they are pretty slick little knives - especially for the price) OR at least a higher quality folder.

On the other hand, if you already EDC a higher quality knife, and that is just a backup, then its probably just fine.

BTW, I'm not sure if you'd seen this picture on Doug's description for the Mk5, but I really like it:

#186851 - 10/29/09 07:14 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: KenK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: KenK

You might consider one of Doug's CRKT Mk5 fixed blade knives for only about $18 (they are pretty slick little knives - especially for the price) OR at least a higher quality folder.

http://www.dougritter.com/pp/gr/RSKMmk5_in_PSP.jpg

Where do you find them for $18?

#186860 - 10/29/09 08:10 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: clearwater]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

A.G. Russell. $17.95, plus shipping.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CL-2380

#186862 - 10/29/09 08:17 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: KenK]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Size comparison between the el cheapo Boker Sub $5 Subcom Copy and a Leatherman CX.

The el cheapo knife is actually pretty good for the price. The dimensions for the knife folded are 65mm x 35mm and 6mm thick with the back clip removed. It fits nicely into an Altoids tin. The blade is meant to be AUS8 steel and judging by the edge it takes I have no reason not to believe that it isn't. It certainly takes a better edge that the 420 steel blades found on the cheaper Leatherman tools. The frame lock certainly comparable to the Leatherman CX, although the el cheapo has less lateral side to side movement and a more secure feel.

The problem I have with the smaller fixed blade knifes designed to fit in an altoids tin is that they are getting to the point where very little can actually be achieved without over stressing the hands and ultimately could be cause injury through slippage. A smaller folder with a better grip may be preferred even though they ultimately might not be as tough or as lightweight.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (10/29/09 09:58 PM)

#186863 - 10/29/09 08:18 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: clearwater]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
http://www.agrussell.com

Last August I bought two for $17.95 each plus 8.95 for shipping.

Knifecenter (I've bought a bunch from them in years past) has them for that price.

Google shopping shows them for less, but not so sure about untried sellers. For a few bucks I'd stick with someone I know.

#186876 - 10/30/09 12:54 AM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival tin [Re: DavidEnoch]
litlefoot01 Offline

Loc: NY
Sweet knife I will get me one of those.

litlefoot01
Life is what you make it so lets
make it right.

#186908 - 10/30/09 05:47 AM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Quote:
The problem I have with the smaller fixed blade knifes designed to fit in an altoids tin is that they are getting to the point where very little can actually be achieved without over stressing the hands and ultimately could be cause injury through slippage. A smaller folder with a better grip may be preferred even though they ultimately might not be as tough or as lightweight.

I'll second that. Those mini neck knives with skeleton handle tend to be useless for any real cutting. Poor ergonomy, thin grip, very awkward and uncomfortable to use for heavier cutting. Also, why all the tacticool jimping, notches and whatnot? Aside from making the grip a lot less comfortable, they just create more stress points where the steel is likely to break.

A small folder is better IME because you get a larger blade at the same size and the grip, while far from perfect, is usually still a major improvement over the plain steel skeleton handle. What benefits a miniature fixed blade offers in structural strength is limited by the amount of work you can accomplish. You won't be cutting anything substantial with a flimsy 1 1/2" blade. Your mileage may vary but in my expectations I don't see any serious use for a "survival" knife that can't even be used to cut small branches (e.g. sticks for shelter poles and the like) with some efficiency.

#186999 - 10/30/09 07:36 PM Re: Here is a neat little knife for the survival t [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: Dagny

A.G. Russell. $17.95, plus shipping.

http://www.agrussell.com/product.asp?pn=CL-2380

Thanks, for the $ looks like good for that kit.
I normally EDC a fodler anyway, and ni the woods fixed, so this is just in case I`m stripped of all those in some fall, etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.