Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#184379 - 10/05/09 11:46 PM New Stove
Kingarthur Offline

Loc: Texas
I just picked up a new stove. The Inovative Poroduct's Pocket Cooker. I like the concept of it folding into a small nylon pack and being able to deploy it easily. It weights about two pounds maybe and works off of natural gatherable fuel. I look forward to testing it out.

#184383 - 10/06/09 12:15 AM Re: New Stove [Re: Kingarthur]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I can't wait to see some test results. I've been looking at one of those or something similar. I can't see hauling around fuel to cook with when there's natural cooking fuel all around you.

If nothing else, I want to make something that packs flat, weighs very little (titanium or aluminum maybe), and will burn pine cones or small sticks and twigs.

#184384 - 10/06/09 12:34 AM Re: New Stove [Re: 2005RedTJ]
Kingarthur Offline

Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
I can't wait to see some test results. I've been looking at one of those or something similar. I can't see hauling around fuel to cook with when there's natural cooking fuel all around you.

If nothing else, I want to make something that packs flat, weighs very little (titanium or aluminum maybe), and will burn pine cones or small sticks and twigs.

I just got it tonight, it is aluminum, and it is made to burn small sticks, etc. When I test it out to boil/cooking something I will post the results here.

#184394 - 10/06/09 02:58 AM Re: New Stove [Re: Kingarthur]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Congrats!

Looking forward to the reviews too.

#184396 - 10/06/09 03:28 AM Re: New Stove [Re: Todd W]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I just looked at their page.
http://www.innoprousa.com/pocket_cooker.htm

It looks pretty good, from what it shows I suspect your guesstimate of two pounds is heavy.
Could you weigh it and post the weight with your review please?

For a flat stacking home made wood stove it is hard to beat the Nimblewill designed one.
http://wings.interfree.it/html/nomad.html
They give a very light weight for it in sheet steel, but seem to think it should be made out of slightly thicker gauge stuff.

#184404 - 10/06/09 10:58 AM Re: New Stove [Re: scafool]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I made a non-flat wood burning stove from a simple paint can. I got a 1 qt can, cut a square hole in the side of it, about 3"x3" or so, and drilled holes evenly spaced about an inch off the bottom. I got it to boil water by simply feeding pinecones to the flame. It worked great for the whole $3 I spent on it. If you make one yourself though, burn the inside plastic off, in a well ventilated area. Like outside. Get a good burn on it, about 20 minutes should burn everything off.

#184405 - 10/06/09 12:08 PM Re: New Stove [Re: oldsoldier]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
I never really like burning pine cones in a stove. They do burn good, but they left a sticky black rosin behind as soot.
It was very hard to clean off the cooking pots and it softens when it gets warm and sticks to everything it touches. The same thing goes for pine needles too.

These little tin stoves do work though. I like the hobo stove a lot as an emergency stove.
Because they hold the fuel in a pile and reflect the heat back into the fire they burn a lot of stuff that would just smolder or go out in a small open fire.

Some of them, like the one Oldsoldier describes, can be modified to burn other fuels.
If you put the intake air holes about half way up the can, fill the bottom with sand and fuel oil, and add a small wick to light, you have what is known as a Benghazi burner.

#184412 - 10/06/09 02:39 PM Re: New Stove [Re: scafool]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i've seen this design used before.i think on Ebay you can find old ones by other companies ,maybe larger?.as someone who has an collection of camp stoves i would say this falls into the gizom category.the Astroturf is a nice touch.

#184414 - 10/06/09 03:18 PM Re: New Stove [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Henry_Porter Offline

Interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Lots of good DIY ideas online, including variations of the Rocket Stove:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

http://rocketstoves.org/

#184431 - 10/06/09 10:49 PM Re: New Stove [Re: scafool]
Kingarthur Offline

Originally Posted By: scafool
I just looked at their page.
http://www.innoprousa.com/pocket_cooker.htm

It looks pretty good, from what it shows I suspect your guesstimate of two pounds is heavy.
Could you weigh it and post the weight with your review please?

Yup, that is the stove. I got mine a tad cheaper from Sportsmans guide. I can weigh it now, as I will not get a chance to test it before the weekend more than likely. I plan on taking it camping to see how it does. And it is afterall a 2 pounder, though it doesn't really feel like it. Actual "feel" I would put it at 1.5 lbs. When folded in it's pouch, and I would describe my hands as "medium", I can see the tips of my 3 middle fingers between the thumb and pinky. When you take it out, it intuitviely takes its shape. The only hard part is folding it back up to put it away.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 639 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.