The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181416 - 09/04/09 09:39 PM VERY specific knife question
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Good evening all, first off, have a happy & safe holiday weekend. Second, on to my question:
I am looking for real world experience with the Gerber LMF II knife. ONLY that knife-I have several (ok, like 10) knives kicking around, a couple of custom ones, but have had my eye on this one for more than a year. I have hemmed & hawed about picking one ever since since I saw one. Now, I would like to know how many folks here have used them, had them, have them, whatever. And, I am looking for the goods AND bads. I have read a lot of reviews on the knife, but value others members opinions here moreso than anonymous users online. I am not concerned about the price-and, I know it is SS, which is usually my second choice for knife material. What I am interested in, is when used for every day camp chores-chopping, cutting, whittling, etc-is it comfortable? Does this knife stand up to all the positive reviews I have read online? I am knife savvy, to a point (ok, couldnt resist the pun!), so comparisons to other knives is fine; I just dont need the standard "carbon steel is a better blade choice" arguments. I have a few carbon blades, that I adore, and ALWAYS go with me outdoors. I am just looking for something a little different, but robust.
So, tell me your stories with this tool; good, bad, ugly, funny, scary, whatever. Thanks in advance!

#181426 - 09/04/09 10:58 PM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: oldsoldier]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My brother recently got one, and let me tell you it's a HEAVY knife.

We haven't put it through the tests yet but it's beastly and has the weight to go along with it.

It's a rather large fixed blade knife thus I don't think you'd enjoy whittling with it, maybe a short while.

When we get around to it we will be comparing it to my RAT-7 as they are pretty similar size wise and are both purchased with the same things in mind.

#181448 - 09/05/09 02:19 AM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I have one. It is what the M9 Bayonet was supposed to be. It is tough as hell, and just as hard to sharpen.

Having said that, I love the fact it will do almost anything. If I was still drawing Uncle Sam's money, it would be my only choice.

PM me with any questions.

RIP OBG

#181450 - 09/05/09 02:50 AM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: oldsoldier]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Oldsolider,

I lusted after the Gerber LMF II knife for a long time. I read all the reviews and finally ordered the brown handled version from Smokey Mountain Knife Works last spring. The knife is just as discribed; heavy, tough, insulated and would be an excellent survival knife. But I have not even used it yet!

I am in the bush 3 or 4 days a week and find that I am better served with a smaller thinner blade for everyday tasks and a larger cutting tool (short machete, brush hook, axe, folding saw, chainsaw) for the big jobs. I just do not want the weight/inconvience of a heavy blade on my belt all the time.

I also have an Cammilus/Becker BK7 that is unused for the same reason.

I really like the Gerber LMF II, I just have not found the occaision to use it (I hope that makes sense)?

Mike

#181452 - 09/05/09 03:01 AM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: SwampDonkey]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Mike - I am in the same position. I was going to get the LMF II but after seeing my brothers and after having the Rat-7 for a couple years now realzie I don't use the "BIG BLADE" nearly as much as I would have thought.

I carry on my waste a benchmade nimravus in m2 steel and the blade is thin enough and shaped to be used as stabbing weapon, it's light enough and comfortable enough to be used to whittle in camp or carve things out of and its big enough to do minor bush work, or if you are lucky it can be used to skin a fish or gut animals with ease. For anything else I use my small axe or machete. The Nimravus in m2 can be sharpened to a razors edge and it seems to hold good so far too.

I think if you had to have one heavy duty cutting tool that served a lot of purposes then the LMF II fits that purpose very well. Although I`m not too sure how good it would serve as a protection blade for stabbing or slicing for that matter... blade is FAT, and thick.

For a backpacker, hiker or average outdoorsmen I think a skinnier and thinner fixed blade knife that can serve multiple purposes and a small blade for detail work (SAK) and an axe serve one much better smile

#181457 - 09/05/09 08:23 AM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: Todd W]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Oldsoldier, I have not used that knife much myself but I bought one for a friend of mine and had a chance to play with it for a couple of days.

First off, it's one big, hefty knife for something with less than a 5" blade. In theory, that's a good size for a utility blade but the LMF II is a little overbuilt to the point of feeling off. The handle is relatively plain and smooth. I'd prefer something with a better texture. There are holes in the handguard and pommel to lash the knife to a pole. I see no practical value in that feature myself but ok, it's there. The pommel sticks out pretty aggressively. I'm no fan of a "skullcrusher" pommel. It can be dangerous if you fall and rubs on your other gear and clothing. The whole knife feels wrong somehow. Simply a piece of modern engineering with no balance, ergonomy, life, whatever you call it. The sheath is similar. Looks well made but overbuilt, with way too many straps and whatnot. Something simpler would've done the trick better. The built-in sharpener adds a nice touch though I'd consider it fit for touching up the edge only if you have nothing else available.

The LMF II has a very "tactical" look and is geared toward mayhem and abuse. IIRC the blade is made of 12C27 so it's tough for stainless steel but it doesn't really look like something strong enough that I'd want to do any heavy prying with. In terms of cutting performance, the LMF II is mediocre at best. The weird grip and overly wide blade mean it's awkward to use. A Mora is a FAR better all-around knife, especially for woodworking or food preparation. The LMF II is ok for opening a crate or smashing a glass window but as a knife, I'm sad to say it sucks. If you're not quite sure about that yet, you must try a Mora and you'll see the difference (not to mention the difference in price tag). Also, the serrations on the LMF II are a huge turn-off for me. Useless for cutting wood or anything more substantial than rope.

I'm not necessarily opposed to a large sheath knife. I often wear a USMC Kabar on my belt in the woods and I find it useful for many tasks. IME, the good old Kabar is a helluva better hardcore combat knife than the LMF II ever will be. The Kabar has a better and bigger blade, keeps a better edge longer and the grip shape and blade geometry are such you can still use it for basic woodworking and finer utility tasks. The buttcap is not pointed but you can break a window with it any time if you have to. It's also useful as a hammer, while the pommel on the LMF II is not. Electric insulation is about the only point in Gerber's favor but just how often you need that feature is another issue.

The person I bought the knife for wanted it because of all the raving reviews on the Web and tacticool look. I think he was pretty much disappointed with the purchase. The last I heard, he was about to sell the knife.

You could find worse knives out there but also plenty better ones. Especially for that price, which IMHO is really too much for what you get. As a dedicated knife nut I'm well aware we all have different tastes and needs. If a modern tactical mean-looking belt knife is what you're after with cutting performance and especially woodworking low on the priority list you'd probably like the Gerber LMF II. If you need a serious utility knife with general outdoor tasks in mind though, my advice would be to steer well clear. At any rate, do not buy the knife unless you've tried handling it so you can see for yourself what it's like.

#181459 - 09/05/09 12:22 PM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: Tom_L]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Thanks all for the reviews. Just so everyone is aware, I do own a couple of Moras, a kabar mini, a USAF survival knife (WELL used), a couple of custom knives as well. Tom, I appreciate your take on it-this is sort of what I was hoping for. From everyone. An honest look at this knife. I am still undecided, but, having this additional knowledge is what will help mold my ultimate decision. Please keep the experiences coming!!

#181463 - 09/05/09 01:37 PM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: oldsoldier]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Just an update, I am also considering an SOG Seal Pup knife, as it looks to be roughly similar in usage, a lot lighter, and, well, a little sexier smile

#181474 - 09/05/09 05:19 PM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: oldsoldier]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Not trying to persuade you one way or another but IMHO the Gerber LMF II has nothing to offer over the knives you own already. If you're happy with the USAF knife and mini Kabar both are at least equal to the LMF II if not better as far as a heavy duty, medium-sized belt knife goes.

Though of course you're fully entitled to buying a new knife even if you don't really need one. I have about a couple of dozen "utility" knives right now and still feel the urge to get me a new toy to play with every once in a while. smile

Anyway, the SEAL Pup would be a pretty good choice too if you like combo/serrated blades. A friend of mine swears by it. While not a hardcore user he's had that knife for a good many years now and still loves it.

#181643 - 09/08/09 01:22 AM Re: VERY specific knife question [Re: Tom_L]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Life is short! I say if you want to purchase one, just get one! Even if the knife is going to spend 2 days on your belt during a fishing trip, and 363 days in the closet, it doesn't matter.

If you feel like getting one and enjoying yourself, just do it...

I have several Moras, one Spyderco folder, one SOG folder, so my collection is rather limited, but I just shelled out $100 for a Fallkniven F1 fixed-blade knife because, well, I wanted a Fallknifen F1. I didn't really NEED such a knife, I have all the knives I need for my cutting needs.

It will probably come with me on fishing trips only (8-10 days per summer), but hey, i've been lusting at the F1 ever since i've seen it talked about on forums and in miscellaneous survival videos.

My 2 cents wink

P.S. : for the record, the Fallkniven F1 is similar to the Gerber LMF II you are talking about.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 477 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.