Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#179929 - 08/21/09 08:24 AM For the birds?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Has anyone collected the survival benefits of learning about certain birds and their habits? Like following doves to water, certain birds to bee hives, etcetera?

#179936 - 08/21/09 12:23 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: dweste]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By: dweste
Has anyone collected the survival benefits of learning about certain birds and their habits? Like following doves to water, certain birds to bee hives, etcetera?

Only what I learned in China: EVERY bird is edible!

Makes sense to learn the habits of local birds from this point of view...
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#179954 - 08/21/09 03:21 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: ]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
If you follow a seagull it will lead you to a fish and chips stand, but if you follow the pigeons they will lead you to a park bench.

#179958 - 08/21/09 03:45 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: scafool]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Esp in the desert, but many/most other places, too, birds will head to water early in the morning, and around dusk. That might lead one to think that if they hear birds congregating, there might be water in a small seep or hidden natural tank. If you have water, it could also be a place to catch birds.

#179973 - 08/21/09 05:40 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: Susan]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan
If you have water, it could also be a place to catch birds.

And other critters that might be taking a drink or trying to catch birds.

Edited by dweste (08/21/09 05:41 PM)

#179985 - 08/21/09 07:11 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Don't birds do certain behaviors when you or other predators get near their nests / eggs that tend to give them away?

#179998 - 08/21/09 08:32 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Blast

Only what I learned in China: EVERY bird is edible!

-Blast

Note to new players: Blast is a scientist, poet, naturalist, explorer, and exemplary dad-in all ways admirable, the renaissance man of survival blogging. He has indicated, in prior posts, that his taste buds were blown off in the war, suggesting that his determination of edibility may be a little more...well... generous than most. No criticism intended, as eclectic taste is clearly a survival trait. I'm just sayin'...

#180000 - 08/21/09 08:50 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
suggesting that his determination of edibility may be a little more...well... generous than most.

I keep telling you June bugs are really yummy! Just try them once, roasted with maybe a touch of salt. And grasshoppers really do taste like steak. I would have guessed they'd taste like shrimp but they are definitely the beef of the insect world.

Really, only once have I encountered stuff I wouldn't eat again, though that was mainly due to where they were caught.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#180003 - 08/21/09 09:00 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: Blast]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
suggesting that his determination of edibility may be a little more...well... generous than most.

I keep telling you June bugs are really yummy! Just try them once, roasted with maybe a touch of salt. And grasshoppers really do taste like steak. I would have guessed they'd taste like shrimp but they are definitely the beef of the insect world.

Really, only once have I encountered stuff I wouldn't eat again, though that was mainly due to where they were caught.

-Blast

June bugs cause gas, at least in my Siberian Husky.

RIP OBG

#180005 - 08/21/09 09:34 PM Re: For the birds? [Re: dweste]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Don't birds do certain behaviors when you or other predators get near their nests / eggs that tend to give them away?

Killdeer do the crippled flop around on the ground to lure you away from the nest.
A Killdeer nest is just a shallow scoop out in the gravel and the eggs are coloured to blend in with the stones.
The Killdeer flops like it has a broken wing but when you try to pick it up manages to stay just out of reach leading you away from the nest.

Most tree nesters just try to be quiet and hide out.
Crow, raven and eagle will attack you if you get too close.
Even Redwing Blackbirds try to dive bomb around your head if you get too close to their nest, but they nest in the reeds fairly low to the ground.
--
Kingbirds like to sit on the top of bushes they have a nest in and sing. They nest fairly low in small bushes. When you see them singing they are likely right above their nest. They will either try ducking into the shrub and sit on the nest or attempt to divert you by flying to another bush and singing louder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.