The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#178042 - 07/29/09 05:08 PM LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter
TJ2009 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oregon
I have found repeated references to this unit as an emergency body cover in marine situations. Doug describes the product very well and provides links to the manufacturer's site. My question is this:

Has anyone had the opportunity to field test this bag?

I am seeking information and not a product endorsement. At the current price I'm thinking about adding 4 to my boat's ditch bag. While the "something is better than nothing" argument may hold up, I see no point in creating a false sense of security to save a few bucks.

BTW, my offshore fishing is confined to 15-20 miles out max. We do not cross the bar if there is a sliver of doubt about conditions presently or in the next 10 hrs.

Edited by TJ2009 (07/29/09 07:29 PM)

#178044 - 07/29/09 05:20 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: TJ2009]
NobodySpecial Offline

I don't see how it is any better than an "Adventure Medical Emergency Bivy"

#178052 - 07/29/09 05:46 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: NobodySpecial]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
I don't see how it is any better than an "Adventure Medical Emergency Bivy"

Then you haven't looked closely. :-)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#178056 - 07/29/09 05:55 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: TJ2009]
PureSurvival Offline

Loc: UK
I have not used this product but have used and understand the theory behind thermal protective aids. I am sure the land/shark works very well but I don’t like the way they advertise them for in water use. It almost seems they are advertised to replace a life raft or they may be mistaken as such. In water survival you really want to get out of the water and into a life raft.

Thermal protective aid come in many styles, some are complete suits allowing the user to walk. The warmest and probably the most practical are the bag types that have built in arms and gloves. A thermal protective aid should have a close fitting hood.

#178070 - 07/29/09 07:47 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: PureSurvival]
TJ2009 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Oregon
Good points, PS. Clearly, TPAs are no substitute for a proper life raft.

In our circumstances, we never leave port alone. That is to say we follow the buddy system of linking up with other boats headed to the same fishing grounds, and return in a similar "wolf pack." We always file a float plan. We have redundant radio capacity that includes handheld waterproof VHF units in individual dry bags. We have EPIRB, the usual compliment of hand-held and rocket flares, dye, whistle and mirror setups, throw bags, and pre-rigged tether lines. We have redundant chartplotters as well as backup handheld GPS. And, of course, emergency H2O and first aid gear.

Adding TPAs seems to only make sense as they would fill the largest hole in our preparations. Why not full fledged survival suits? Why not add a life raft? Well, cost is a consideration, as is stowage space. A 22' boat becomes awfully small when all is considered. So, we rely on our judgment (and reports from NOAA and the USCG) and stay home when conditions are questionable.

In the final analysis it all comes down to judgment and risk aversion. It appears that TPAs are an acceptable tradeoff...at least based upon what I know at present. Thanks for the input!

#178081 - 07/29/09 08:57 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: TJ2009]
PureSurvival Offline

Firstly, is a 22 foot boat that goes further than 3 miles from shore required by SOLAS laws to carry a life raft?

Secondly, your reply sounds like the excuses that victims of boat accidents come out with after they have been rescued.

If a group end up in the water it is very hard to keep together, each person in that situation would really benefit from a PLB.

At 20 miles out, the water is going to be cold. If no one notices your distress, you have failed radio coms and have to rely on the Epirb to alert to a problem; you could be in the water for some time. If you have an older 121.5 Mhz Epirb you could be in the water for 6 hours before the message is passed to the relevant ground resources. You may be an hour’s flight time for a helo. You are likely to be at least very cold if not floating face down.

Relying on NOAA and USCG reports can not be relied on. Weather reporting is very fickle at the best of times. I think it was the Kennedy plane crash where one of the contributing factors was poor weather forecasts. There are plenty other examples of this fact too.

Cost and space is again a common excuse for not having equipment and another is my boat is unsinkable. If you can afford a boat you should be a able to afford the safety equipment. Space is a very poor excuse; there are always options available to you that take up dead space.

I’m not judging you, just highlighting the facts. At the end of the day the decisions are yours.

#178112 - 07/29/09 11:59 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: Doug_Ritter]
NobodySpecial Offline

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Then you haven't looked closely. :-)

Never seen one in real life (maybe the stealth camouflage really works !), I was just looking at the pictures.

#178203 - 07/30/09 08:14 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: NobodySpecial]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Where is Mr. Ritter's review?

#178283 - 07/31/09 06:41 PM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: dweste]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
There is a brief section describing it here: http://www.equipped.org/shelter.htm

The product webpage is here: http://www.land-shark.com/

According to the site it is built out of a rugged 10 mil ripstop material with an aluminzed coating.

It does seem like a major improvement over cheap mylar bags. The one feature I'm not sure about is the tether and clip. While a great idea, I don't think I would trust that cheap plastic clip and drawstring to withstand the force of several people being pulled in different directions in rough seas. I'd much rather see somthing like para-cord and a metal clip. And you can't really unpack the bag to modify it, since that would defeat the convenient, compact vacuum sealing.

#178339 - 08/01/09 03:47 AM Re: LAND/Shark Instant Survival Shelter [Re: urbansurvivalist]
PureSurvival Offline

Originally Posted By: urbansurvivalist
I don't think I would trust that cheap plastic clip and drawstring to withstand the force of several people being pulled in different directions in rough seas. I'd much rather see somthing like para-cord and a metal clip.

Sea Dogs are not cheap plastic clips. Sea Dogs are designed for prolonged ocean use.

The more I have looked at this thread the more I am interested in having a play with one of these Land/sharks. I can't find them in the UK though.

I can't see Land/shark comparing well to the thermal properties of Blizzard Bag but in a life raft environment it may have an advantage; possibly being used as an outer cover for the Blizzard Bag.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.