Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#177194 - 07/22/09 04:54 AM Cell Phone Walkie Talkie
Burncycle Offline
Addict

I always wondered why cell phones didn't have an optional walkie talkie transceiver functionality. No, not the boost mobile "walkie talkie" that uses the cell phone network. Something like FRS or GMRS for short ranged use (depending on terrain) when cell networks were down, overloaded, or not available. Or, for that matter, why they didn't pick up AM/FM and NOAA weather reports, but that's another topic wink

After all, it shouldn't be difficult to integrate. Found out last night that motorola apparently has something like this on some of their phones

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOTO_Talk

Apparently they can do direct cellphone to cellphone transmissions without using the cell network. It uses the 900 MHz band (microwave, like the cell phones use for tower communications), not FRS or GMRS, but it's still interesting especially if you're hiking with friends in areas where you don't get cell reception. Obviously the other users will also have to have a cell phone with this capability, which rather limits your choices.

Do any of you use this? What do you think, any utility?

#177195 - 07/22/09 05:04 AM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Burncycle]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Seems like it would have limited usage... more for construction job sites or maybe on a lake.

#177217 - 07/22/09 12:45 PM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Burncycle]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Some of the Motorola handsets for Nextel / Boost have the feature you mention. I don't remember the model numbers though.

RIP OBG

#177362 - 07/23/09 04:40 AM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Desperado]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
That was something I always wondered. Cell phones offer an amazing number of features now, but there are so many basic features that many of them are missing that I would love to have in one device.

AM/FM/Shortwave radio, VHF/UHF TV signal, FRS/GMRS radio, GPS, Compass, flashlight, laser pointer, ect. Sure, these features may not be as good as carrying a dedicated device, but at least I would have them all in something I usually carry every day. Instead of having to carry 12 other devices that take up space.

It amazes me that I can easily find a phone that will tell me the lottery numbers for every state, but I can't find one with a built in am/fm radio. crazy

#177366 - 07/23/09 04:44 AM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Paul810]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Some have a compass and gps built in but cost more $$ frown

#177377 - 07/23/09 10:21 AM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Burncycle]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
You are correct, several Sprint / Nextel phones have this DirectTalk feature. My Nextel i880 has this feature.

To use it, you go into the menu to take the phone "off network". It reboots and then works in simplex mode to access the remote phone directly. It works the same as Nextel's Direct Connect feature so you get the little notification beep (although it sounds different) before the voice transmission.

Another nice feature is that you can select a channel / privacy code combination just like FRS radios to avoid unwanted traffic.

We used this in Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago and it worked quite well. We did not give it a through testing as it was used mostly for communications over open terrain approximately 500 - 600 yards away. In this application, it worked quite well.

Let me know if you need more info.

Craig.

Edited by celler (07/23/09 10:22 AM)

#177587 - 07/25/09 11:18 AM Re: Cell Phone Walkie Talkie [Re: Paul810]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Paul810
AM/FM/Shortwave radio, VHF/UHF TV signal, FRS/GMRS radio, GPS, Compass, flashlight, laser pointer
My N97 has compass, GPS and FM radio. Plus local maps.

It doesn't have a torch as such, but it does have LED flash for its camera and I have an app which turns that into a torch. (This is really a backup to my backup because I also carry 2 proper torches. Also, the basic screen backlight is often enough light to navigate out of a building. The darker it is, the less light you need.)

I imagine that GMRS radio and similar walkie-talkie stuff would be resisted by the networks, because it would reduce their call revenue.

TV might be nice in an emergency, although I hope the FM radio will provide the essential information. During normal times, I can watch TV on the phone over the internet (via WiFi). It comes with dedicated iPlayer apps to make this easy.

It's not a cheap phone, but then I love my gadgets.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.