Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#176014 - 07/11/09 01:09 PM improvisations
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi all

I’ve spent a long time looking on this forum (4 years, give or take) and have come to trust and respect all of your views and options, so this is probably a long over due first post, but here we go smile

I first got this idea from reading Wildman’s post “I spy from my perch” and Benjamin’s “EDC as 72 hour kit”.

As it’s almost impossible to carry equipment to handle every situation and considering that most people here carry as a minimum in their EDC a multi-tool/SAK, flashlight, BIC lighter/fire steel, AMK heat sheets ect.

What would you might consider useful to carry in addition to “MacGyver” up a solution or something to make live easier in a "survival" situation from things or junk you find laying around ? Or what ideas have you had to make things ?

For example getting a soda can and cutting a few holes, turning it into a small wood stove, or using some wire to turn another can into a pot.

Any ideas welcome.

Edited by Cauldronborn (07/11/09 05:25 PM)

#176016 - 07/11/09 02:19 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: Cauldronborn]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Some folks seem to carry more than others.

My carry is situational due to the nature of my work areas, and modes of transportation.

Remember: Shoot, Communicate, Move from the Army?

Make it: Defend, Communicate, Aid, Shelter, Move and I think you should do well.

Defend: will depend on the person and the area. (MACE/OC, Handgun, etc)
Communicate: could be anything from a whistle to an iphone to a PLB
Aid: AMK Ultra-Light FAK's are a good starting point. WATER WATER WATER!
Shelter: Contractor bags and AMK Heatsheets are great
Move: Compass and good footwear.

RIP OBG

#176018 - 07/11/09 02:23 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: Cauldronborn]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
First off, welcome to the fire newguy.

Second, I would follow Alton Brown's (Food Network) advice...stay away from uni-taskers. Try to carry things that are truly multi-taskers. Wire, duct tape, paper clips, feminine hygiene products and so forth. Don't go to far overboard or you will end up like the French dude someone posted about earlier.

2 cents

#176024 - 07/11/09 04:11 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: MoBOB]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be by the campfire at last, just hope that I can add some wood to it from time to time.

Originally Posted By: MoBOB

Don't go to far overboard or you will end up like the French dude someone posted about earlier.

yeah, I remember seeing that, Don't think that my EDC will ever get that big smile

thanks for the info desparado, but as I live in the UK firearms are a BIG no no as far as defence goes.

I always have a FAK in bag along with a water bottle and water proof jacket(also rain pants when needed).

But what I was looking for was one or two key items that you could use make or modify fairly common things (like my soda can example)thar would be easy to carry in a pocket or belt pouch and perhaps some ideas that you've had in the past.

thanks in advance

#176027 - 07/11/09 05:10 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: Cauldronborn]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Welcome to the neighborhood.I would recomend a flat pack of duct tape,a hank of parachute cord and a small coil of brass or stainless steel wire.If you can't find duct tape flat packs just pull the core and a layer or two of tape from the inside and squeeze together.Good para-cord has 7 inner strands that can be used for sewing.It would be a good idea to have a couple of large eye needles for this.You could tuck them in the fold of a wallet.The wire is good for snares as well as quick binding or seizing.I would get aircraft wire that is stainless steel and .025 of an inch thick.i have seen people wire on fenders and mufflers on cars with this.You may even find some in an auto parts store.Round this off with a few paper clips and a half dozen assorted safty pins and call it good....

BOATMAN
John

#176032 - 07/11/09 06:10 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: boatman]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Thanks boatman.

Always a good idea to have duct tape and para cord ect.

After reading posts on this forum for so long i've got most off the basics covered (flat duct tape and needles with thread in wallet)but I haven't thought to add paper clips or safty pins.

I have about <8'> of para-cord in a brided keyring fob along with a Vic classic, Mag Lite, Whisle and a flint rod. So it sounds like I'm starting from a better base than I thought.

EDIT

just to make life easier heres a list of what I usually carry.

On person:

emergency poncho

AMK heatsheets 2 person blanket

SAK huntsman

2oz bottle hand sanitiser jel
On key ring:

Vic classic (will properly change to a mini champ)

mini Mag lite (considering a few LED lights instead)

Para-cord fob 8' give or take

Whisle (Acme Thunderer)

Flint rod (yes I do mean a FLINT rod I would really like any help in selecting a ferno replacment, but that I think that is for an other thread)

In Wallet:

zip lock bag, can't remember the size

water puri tabs (8)

about 10' of duct tape

needles & thread

some 50lb braided fishing line

Rucksack:

small FAK (alway up grading)

waterproof jacket (and when needed rain pants)

1L water bottle, but I have several for so I can increase the amount of water I can carry if I need to

also living in the UK enviromentle considerations usually revolve around wet and windy condions

And again, many thanks

Edited by Cauldronborn (07/12/09 08:02 AM)

#176038 - 07/11/09 08:18 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: Cauldronborn]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

In a small pill container I've got a Sparklite, cotton balls, sewing thread and needles, safety pins, a small coil of wire and some other stuff. The container is wrapped in bright orange duct-tape. Used carefully and resourcefully it can take care of most small situations without any trouble. I've got this on me right now, in what I call a "casual" EDC.

If something like this is out of the question I second the paracord and/or wire (I take home spare wire bag ties from work myself) jammed into a back pocket.

And BTW, welcome!

Edited by DrmstrSpoodle (07/11/09 08:20 PM)

#176042 - 07/11/09 10:04 PM Re: inprovisations [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Frensel lense, for many reasons. find small splinters, read fine print, or just read if glasses are lost for some, fire starting.

signal mirror, if away from city.

small disposable baking tin (actually aluminum) they fold flat and can be uesd to boil water. the mini loaf is the smallest. Or you canuse heavy duty aluminum foil for makning a water boiling container.

If laws permit something in the way of a fixed blade, refered to as a bushcraft knife or Mora type pukko.

I just finished readding Build the Perfect Survival Kit by John McCann and found lots of sound advice, and sparked even more ideas for my own stuff.

By the way Welcome!

-Joe

Edited by Joseph13 (07/11/09 10:04 PM)

#176069 - 07/12/09 01:58 AM Re: inprovisations [Re: Joseph13]
jaschenck Offline
Stranger

Loc: Alabama
If I understand you correctly you are wanting advise on
A. what you need to improvise things and
B. what can be improvised.

The answer to A depends more on where you are, the UK being rather densely populated I would consider you being in a more urban environment, that being the case I would be sure to have a good multi tool and something to cut metal like a small hack saw and scissors that can handle light sheet metal. I have some fiskers game shears which are small light and will cut most things with in reason.

The answer to B would be a never ending list, for example you can boil water in a milk carton and apply and enormous amount of pulling or lifting force with a loop of rope and a stick. you are only limited by what you can think of when the need presents itself. It's just a matter of knowing what has to be done and seeing how you can use what you have to do so. The better you mind works at that sort of thing the less stuff you need in your pockets and bags because if you think about it the people who thought of those had neither.

The bottom line is the best tool you carry is the one between your ears. The people who use it survive, evolve, create... those who don't, don't

Jim

#176071 - 07/12/09 02:59 AM Re: improvisations [Re: Cauldronborn]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
MultiTool!
Hacksaw blade, Sawzall metal cutting Blade better sharpen the back but not all the way=Knife spear point.
Cordage- 550 Para-cord
Wire
DUCT Tape

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 166 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.