Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#173500 - 05/19/09 01:07 AM Brain Storming a small power system?
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
How complicated would it be to recharge a deep cycle battery using my car?

My recent 4 days without power has me thinking about a small DC power system to run some lighting and maybe small fans.

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (05/19/09 01:07 AM)

#173502 - 05/19/09 01:17 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Should not be any problem at all if you are doing a direct swap. Are you trying to have it in your car only for charging? Say, a place in the trunk? If so, then you will need to make sure your alternator can handle the extra load, you will also need to make sure it is electrically isolated from the rest of the car electrical system. Or you could just buy a trickle charger and have it in the house; with adequate ventilation. Also, a single small solar panel would do the job.

2 cents

#173506 - 05/19/09 01:58 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
I ran across this inexpensive solar charger at the Northern Tool web site.
The idea is to place it in your car window, to charge or maintain the car battery. I bet it could be used in some other creative ways too. (?)

Might be a really cheap way to keep a 12v battery (or batteries) charged for some basic emergency lighting, etc ...

#173509 - 05/19/09 03:17 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Lon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Those small solar cells will maintain a battery but they can't recharge a dead battery.

We have one of these which can be left plugged into a car's power socket/cigarette lighter to be recharged or just maintained. I worked great for running a fan, a lightbulb, charging my cell phone, and assorted other low-draw items when Hurricane Ike hit last fall.

From the manufacturer's website:
Product Features
* Runs 115-volt AC or 12-volt DC products anywhere
* Built-in 400 watt inverter
* Sealed, non-spillable 20 amp-hour AGM battery
* 250 PSI Air compressor for inflating tires and small sports equipment
* Jumper cables designed for safe and efficient jump-starting
* Built-in light provides illumination in emergency situations at home and on the road
* 3-digit display allows for easy battery status monitoring
* Audible alarm signals overheat and under voltage conditions
* Overload and over-temperature protection to ensure longer inverter life
* AC charger stored in the unit
* Recharge at home or from a vehicle

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#173515 - 05/19/09 11:02 AM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: MoBOB]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Should not be any problem at all if you are doing a direct swap. Are you trying to have it in your car only for charging?

Not so much in the car, as just in a carrying case where I can take it out and quickly connect it to my car's system to recharge it, then take it back inside the house to use when power is out for extended times.

Would one of these 12v power supplies work better????

Edited by Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp (05/19/09 11:06 AM)

#173519 - 05/19/09 01:36 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
There are a couple of precautions to consider with charing a deep cycle battery using a vehicle power supply circuit. First, as mentioned, a depleted battery can put a big load on an alternator, which isn't designed for such high peak current. You may damage the regulator and/or the diodes in an alternator unless you use an in-line current limiter on the charging circuit. I like to put a headlamp in series with the battery to keep the current flow at less than the max rated for the alternator circuit, although doing so will make the charge time longer, as it should be.

Another big consderation is the differecne between the make up of a deep cycle battery vs an automotive battery. Vehicle electrical charging systems are built so that the battery is constantly floating on a charge voltage, allowing a trickle charge to be constantly applied to the auto battery. This trickle charge keeps the battery at full charge, but a fully charge deep cycle battery is not made for this type of operation, and will fry if left to float on a trickle charge circuit. For this reason, once a deep cycle battery has reached full charge, it needs to be isolated from the vehicle electrical circuit. Again, having the headlamp in the charging circuit is a great aid for this. As the battery charges, the voltage drop across the lamp decreases, and the lamp gets dimmer. When the lamp is no longer putting out light, the battery is fully charged and can then be switched out of the circuit. An ammeter is a better indicator, but for the basics, this has been a good standard for battery charging for a long time.

#173521 - 05/19/09 01:46 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
This is the kind of system we used in a slide-in truck camper years ago. Go to an RV dealer and ask them to set you up.

#173526 - 05/19/09 03:39 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Blast]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Blast, that Xantrex unit looks like a really handy piece of equipment.
I like that the internal battery is "user replaceable" too.
Do you know what the expected service life is for the battery?
thanks

#173535 - 05/19/09 06:09 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

For your lighting I would go with high efficiency LED lighting replacement bulbs. Some of the LED bulbs are getting to 60-70 lumen per watt efficiency and compete with CFL bulbs although are still more expensive than CFL (the local Electricity supplier gives CFL bulbs away free of charge)

Anglepoise copy lamps from a local DIY store costing around $30 each. GU10 and E27 LED bulbs from DealExtreme

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15070

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12960

Each LED Bulb consumes only 3 Watts each

A typical room can be illuminated for around 10W (500-600 lumen) total for adequate emergency lighting. This would compare to 60-80W of Halogen or conventional tungsten lighting and 12-15W for CFL.

Standing floor directional Spot lamp with 3 x 1W 100 Lumen LEDs GU10s

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16875

To power the lighting an emergency portable 40ah SLA battery with 300 Watt inverter can be used. (UK equivalent of the Xantrax power packs available in the US)

http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_detail.asp?prod=1592

To charge the power pack a 45W or 60W Solar Panel kit could be used in conjuction with a solar charge regulator and setup quickly in an emergency.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90599

A good demo is shown here for the 45W Solar Kit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caeEyhJZnTs

A typical setup using a 40ah SLA battery would power a 10W lighting system for continuously for around 35 hrs (or around 3 hrs with a single 100W Tungsten bulb) without any solar charging, and almost indefinitely with the solar panel.

You could of course scale up the whole generating your own electricity using Solar PV and the only thing you would have to worry about would be this

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/19/09 07:17 PM)

#173539 - 05/19/09 06:49 PM Re: Brain Storming a small power system? [Re: Lon]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Do you know what the expected service life is for the battery?

Ours is more than five years old and still running with the original battery, though it doesn't get too heavy of a workout. Maybe 4-5 weekends per year not counting the hurricane.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.