The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#164470 - 01/22/09 07:20 PM Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review
Well I decided to try out the Sparky to see how it does and managed to break my 1 of 2 bought within the first few minutes. I attribute the failure as my own fault with this one but all in all I think it's a good concept I just think it could be built a little more rugged. The Sparky has a cheap plastic bar that separates the flint from the housing and it you strike the thing more than 3 times in a row it will damage the unit. So I go out and play with the thing to take it for a test run and striked it 3 times lighting off a dead palm tree leaf and it worked like a champ. But I didn't know how long to let it cool down and went to light up some old bark a few seconds latter (thinking it was cool enough for another 3 more times) and the rod got locked up in the handle. I took off the outer jacket to see if there was any user way in the field to unlock it and I could not find a back up release. So that one will be going back. All in all I think it's a good product but needs some design modifications. I would not put my life on the line at this point with this design but I think with some modifications from UST that it has the potential to be a good product. I would not recommend this product at this time until issues are fixed.

Update:I soaked the thing in the sink for a few minutes while running water over it and it freed the jam up, turns out it is very sensitive to debris getting into it. I think some issues still need to be resolved with a bigger rod for the body, unlimited strike capability (metal rod bar vs plastic),and a better non jamming mechanism.

Advantages
1. Small, goes on a keychain
2. Sparks and uses the same great fire steel as the blast match

Disadvantages
1. Can only spark 3 consecutive times (no instructions of a cool down period)
2. Small Rod
3. Jams up real easy

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/product_category.cfm?category_ID=710

Seen with blastmatch rod in comparison

Edited by falcon5000 (01/22/09 07:44 PM)

#164480 - 01/22/09 07:51 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Thanks for the review and pictures.

#164496 - 01/22/09 08:26 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: dweste]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is it better than a rod and a steel? That fits on a keychain, too

#164511 - 01/22/09 09:10 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Correct, that's why I carry a blast match rod and a small hacksaw blade. I took a blast match to the extreme one day to see where it would fail and after sparking down the rod past where the V blade wouldn't grab much anymore I split the case and I use the rod with a hacksaw blade. I love the materials they use with the rods, I don't care to much for how bulky there items are but i do like the one hand bit. I can see how easy it would be for the sparky to fail for durability but the blast match held up well for a long time before I wore it out. I would trust my life on a blast match but that was after I abused it to a failure point to see the capabilities.

#164512 - 01/22/09 09:14 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: TeacherRO]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

No problem dweste.

TeacherRO, right now I would say no, if they could get the blastmatch rod into a really small housing and completely change the design and make it as small as possible and a back up release in the event of a jam or failure then I would say it could be.

#164514 - 01/22/09 09:18 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: falcon5000]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
Great review.
It seems like their attempt to downsize the blast match was only a somewhat qualified success.

I have heard a lot of people complain about the size of the blast match, but that was one of the things I liked about them.
It made them much easier to use with cold wet hands.

I would rather carry something a bit bigger that works than something small that does not work.
Thank you for this review.

#164515 - 01/22/09 09:19 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I don't blame you Izzy, it's really not that big but it's prone to failures (unacceptable). I just like the UST rods they use over the Swedish rods, I have both but I don't know if it's a higher magnesium count in the steel or what, but I can really catch a lot of stuff on fire with a blast match than I could with my light my fire steel. I just gutted a blastmatch for the rod and use a hacksaw blade and it's rock solid and 2X the diameter of my light my fire steel. I'm definately a blast match steel rod believer.

#164516 - 01/22/09 09:22 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: scafool]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks scafool, I hear you, I still keep a blast match regular one in my gear, I just have the rod for my PSK but that was after wearing the heck out of one taking it to a destruction test. Blast Match in my opinion is money well spent and yes I would rather carry the bulk knowing I can get a fire going now.

#164534 - 01/22/09 11:29 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: falcon5000]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, that kinda sucks a bunch. I was really excited by this thing.

*shrugs* Maybe they can debug it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#164542 - 01/22/09 11:50 PM Re: Ultimate Survival Technologies Sparky Review [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
If anyone remembers I broke a blast match too... usable if you have another piece of metal or a knife but the striker broke off it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 473 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.