Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#168229 - 02/28/09 11:14 PM Help Me Understand, Camo?
MedB Offline

Hey All,

I'm not trying to start a heated debate, but I have a question about something I truly don't quite understand.

This board is for and about folks who want to be prepared to survive. Not survivalists. In other words, folks who want to get through a situation and return to their normal life. (The assumption here being if they REALLY wanted the mountain man life they would be living it now). So here is the question...

As part of my personal mantra for surviving unforseen events and returning to my life, I want to be seen. I mean S-E-E-N!

If I could, I would find a hot pink bacpack with glowing neon lights and a strobe light on top! Anyone remember the classic cartoon of Ed the hapless deer hunter in the "man suit"? Complete with the flashing bells and waving flags so he wouldn't get mistaken for a buck. -smile-

Yet lots of folks here have bob bags, shtf packs, s.e.r.e. kits, and more in camo, or black, or desert camo, etc.

Why?

Again, I am trying to understand the approach. If it's about wanting to keep a low profile amongst regular folks, I guess I can see that. But would'nt a nice red backpack from NorthFace, Mountainsmith, et al be a lot more low profile than a tactical pack in camo with molle attachments? Plus it would be easier to see.

Thanks in advance for the level-headed discussion,

#168232 - 02/28/09 11:32 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: MedB]
Gunwriter Offline
Stranger

It depends upon what you envision having to survive.
If you are lost in the woods, then of course you
want to be highly visible so you can be rescued.

However, in other situations it is much wiser to
maintain a low profile and go unnoticed.

Now, the question really is, will a Dark Earth Brown
military type pack make you stand out or not? Or will
a blue Wal-Mart pack let you blend in.

It all depends......I think in many cases people
who are expecting to have to remain 'low profile'
would be better served with a normal color
commercial pack rather than an uber tacticool
ACU camo unit......

#168234 - 02/28/09 11:53 PM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: Gunwriter]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas
For me, my large backpack is camo, since, if I'm in the woods, it is to hunt. With that being said, I have a neon orange rain cover for it. The equipment I have inside of the pack is very bright to get attention if I should need it. Every thing is marked with at leased 2 colors of neon duct tape for increased contrast.

For urban EDC/preparedness tools, I would rather prefer not to be constantly scrutinized and hassled. So, the items are rather subdued in color or the items they are carried in are some none bright color.

#168236 - 03/01/09 12:05 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: Matt]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Part of the reason is that there are many good tactically-oriented manufactuers that don't offer their products in non-tactical colors. I've commented more than once to Countycomm about that. Coyote, OD, and black are the least "tacticool" you can sometimes get.

Yes, of course there are great civilian manfacturers too. I LOVE Mtn Hardwear, TNF, Marmot, etc. And I use them A LOT when camping. But, for something that I'll most likely use only infrequently, it's often cheaper, and in some ways more durable, to go with military surplus or similar. I'm not about to drop $150 on an Arcteryx backpack that's sitting in my basement for 5 years, when a $40 USGI alice pack is bigger, cheaper, and not too painful to replace if something happens. My Arcteryx, though, leans up on it, and it's filled with more used stuff.

If I want to be seen, I'm not counting on my backpack to do it. My orange stocking cap, or rain slicker, or blue tarp, is going to be used for that much more easily.

Besides, if it's ever time for "scrounger mode," I'd like the option of dropping my bag in a patch of brush in a city park and being able to retrieve it later. Kind of hard to do with my bright blue Arcteryx!

#168237 - 03/01/09 12:30 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: MDinana]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good question MedB.

I've been thinking about this a bit lately too. Our three year old just got her new hiking backack - a bright pink one that can probably be seen for miles! It's hardly tactical but - she's three! She loves it and so do we!

My new pack is a dull blue but came with a rain cover that's bright yellow. I'm going to find one up for all of our family's packs. It will have to do for now!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#168238 - 03/01/09 12:44 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: MDinana]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
You have a very good point.
I never intended camo and only have 2 pieces of clothing in it.

Still most of my gear is mouse grey, drab green, tan or soft black.
Whenever it is near hunting season I turn bright fluorescent orange.

I have been thinking of starting to purchase replacement gear in brighter colours like Sunshine Yellow and other hues that stand out well in the woods.

My packs will still likely stay subdued, and not just so they are easy to cache if I have to, but because Cordura in black is the standard and most resistant to UV degradation.

Edit:
Another problem is that I just find really bright colours hard on my own eyes.

Edited by scafool (03/01/09 01:03 AM)

#168243 - 03/01/09 01:13 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: MedB]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
Interesting questions you've posed, MedB. My answer has several parts: (1) My Urban Search and Rescue deployment gear bags and web gear are Bright Red and equipped with Scotchlite trim. When involved in those operations I want to be visible.
These bags travel with me to all in state events, US&R or otherwise. (2) My SAR pack is equally bright and reflective, just not as well provisioned, but has all the required essentials for successful mission completion. Both of the aforementioned have additional bright colored signal panels and a strobe. (3) My Every Day Carry (SHTF,BOB,etc) bag is Tactical Black without any bright colored anything attached. Because I carry this multi-purpose bag during my normal tours and have occasion to be involved with LEO/SWAT ops this is the best color, 'cause I don't wanna be seen. (4) If I have to go into bug out mode, on foot, I'm planning to take the road less traveled and that could put me in places where I wouldn't want to visible. I am NOT a survivalist, but I plan, train, and equip myself to survive in a number of dynamic enviroments.
The US&R bags, SAR pack, and web gear might be deployed 3-4 times a year, while the "EDC bag" is carried daily and certain parts of the gear are used frequently.
I think it comes down to the situation you are trying to survive or the area you're bugging out of. smile

#168245 - 03/01/09 01:41 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: MedB]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I agree with you, even though I like camo. Although, I believe there is a fine line between survival and survival ism. It depends on the circumstance. Camo can be helpful if stalking survival food, and also, obviously, if avoidance of detection by humans is desired.
I will wear camo or colors that blend into my environment, and if I need to signal for help, I can with whistle, mirror, a separate brightly colored cloth, fire, etc. I can only see bright clothing or backpack helping if for a prone individual or small child, basically someone who is incapable for whatever reason to the point that taking an active role in being found can't happen. I would rather have the option of being invisible if need be, hungry or paranoid as that might make me seem.

#168249 - 03/01/09 03:08 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: ]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
I went with desert camo for my SHTF bag. It's a MOLLE tactical bag, and the options were basically camo patterns or black. I went with the desert digital because it'll be easier to find (in the woods) than woodland camo (in my opinion) and easier to find in the dark than black.

I went with the tactical variety of bag because they're designed to take a lot of abuse by our troops. I wanted something that's pretty much indestructible and easy to add on to (MOLLE webbing attachments).

Mine is the Voodoo Tactical Tobago. It's very tough, has a LOT of pockets, a LOT of room, and I think it was a very good deal at $68.

#168254 - 03/01/09 05:55 AM Re: Help Me Understand, Camo? [Re: scafool]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: scafool

Another problem is that I just find really bright colours hard on my own eyes.

I feel you on that point. I once hiked behind a guy whose pack was neon blue. For hours at a time in bright Florida sun It was thee burning itself into my retinas. I would close my eyes and still see that damned thing. We had to change the marching order.

Hikers and campers often floor into narrow tracts of land and a overly bright backpack, jacket or tent can pretty much ruin the view of scenic vista. It is sometimes termed 'visual pollution'.

My preferences are for drab earth colors. Deep greens and blues. Subdued reds. Gray, black and browns. OD green and browns are okay. Not quite military enough to be mistaken for a mall ninja but pretty nondescript and subdued enough to not catch the eye if you want to slip out the back.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.