Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#167128 - 02/15/09 03:51 PM Leatherman Squirt - wow!
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Some of you might remember I was looking for a small folding knife and/or multitool a while back. Well, I'm still looking for a smallish folder kind of (and I have pretty much settled for the Benchmite... now I just have to justify spending 30$ on yet another knife! smile ) In the meantime though I bought a Leatherman Squirt P4 and I just want to say I'm really happy with it.

I keep a Leatherman Wave in my backpack so it's basically within reach about 90% of the time. But there are times when I'm either too lazy to reach for it or need to fix something small right on the spot. That's exactly when the Squirt comes in really handy.

I wasn't sure at first whether such a tiny multitool could handle any kind of "serious" work. Had it not been for the positive feedback on this board and a few other places online I wouldn't have bought it. When I got the Squirt I was impressed by the build quality but still not totally convinced it would stand up to everyday chores.

A couple of weeks later I'm pretty sure it was money well spent. I've used it for all kinds of stuff, from tightening screws and bolts to disassembling a cellphone and fixing various electronic equipment. I actually find it more practical for smaller tasks requiring a bit of finesse. It won't replace the Wave for sure but as a gentleman's folder on steroids it's a great little multitool... And I can legally carry it even in places where larger/locking folders are prohibited.

In fact, I've been thinking about getting another Squirt for my girlfriend. At first I was meaning to get her a small SAK but the Squirt just seems to offer a lot more bang for the buck in exactly the same size range. Are the scissors on the S4 as good as the pliers? If yes, I'll go for it.

#167135 - 02/15/09 05:29 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: Tom_L]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I do have the S4 Squirt in addition to the P4. I use the S4 on a daily basis. It has a great scissor on it, probably the best of any multi-tool I've used. A lot of multi-tools use a variation of the Fiskars scissors which I find mediocre for operability. I prefer the S4 over them all because of the blunted face which makes it safer to use and even though the handles are small they are adequate. The tiny blade is useful for opening packages, the nail file/cleaning tool and scissor are all handy for grooming. The tiny tweezers are very tiny and lack sufficient finger surface to effectively squeeze and hold something.

I used the Wave for the pliers and saw and as a backup blade. The S4 blade is a second backup.

#167137 - 02/15/09 06:17 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: Roarmeister]
timo Offline

I love my P4 but I remember spending some time filing all of the edges of the plier jaws to eliminate what I considered to be very sharp edges. I then took a "Red" wheel (an industrial type of scotchbright) to the edges and they are now what I think they should be out of the box. Mine is a pretty early model, perhaps newer ones are better in this regard. But the edges where bad enough for me feel like doing something about them.

I also filed a notch in the wire cutters so wire doesn't slip out during cutting. Larger Leathermen have this feature. I don't know why they didn't do this on the P4. Perhaps to discourage users from cutting wire that's too big.

After these modifications, I really like my Squirt. I keep it on a Nite Ize. small "S-Biner" hung off my BOB. It's funny how often people come to borrow my P4 at work. About as often as they want to borrow my Surefire P6.

#167138 - 02/15/09 06:30 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: timo]
jmarkantes Offline

Loc: Portland, OR, USA
I also loved the squirt, but ended up breaking the pliers on it- two times within a few months of buying it. Leatherman's warranty is awesome and they swapped it right out (plus having a friend working there is nice smile ). But I still haven't gotten around to having it fixed since the second time the pliers broke. No reason, just lazy. I liked having a multitool on my keychain.

I also have a Wave, but ended up getting a Juice for hunting and backpacking when I was a little concerned with the weight of my pack.

J

#167139 - 02/15/09 06:58 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: jmarkantes]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I have the squirt s4 and p4 (very cheap on ebay), as well as the wave.

But for it's size and weight, I think the Juice s2 is the best tool. Scissors are excellent - better then any leatherman except the 3/4 pound surge - pliers work for anything but the biggest jobs, and good selection of other tools. It weighs 4 ounces, and a little big for a keychain.

#167140 - 02/15/09 07:03 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: Tom_L]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I keep an E4 in the tool pouch in my EDC. For those who don't know it, image the S4 scissors reenforced a little for wire cutting, with stripping notches and a little tiny bit of pliers at the tip, like a small hemostat. Best pair of tweezers I own, to, I think they are unique to this model which is a shame.

I've written LM asking if they'd make a version of the E4 without the wire stripping notches, just scissors with the plier tip. I think that might be the best trade off.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#167142 - 02/15/09 07:33 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I EDC the E4 in my Mission Wallet, it's a great tool and not a toy. I like your idea of a combined scissors/needle-nose pliers. Not everybody uses/needs wire strippers, but a scissor/plier combo would be a valuable tool.

#167150 - 02/15/09 10:58 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: Russ]
airballrad Offline
Gear Junkie
Enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast Florida, USA
I've been thinking about adding a Squirt to my multitool arsenal for a while, and this thread jump started that interest again. I just picked up a lot of 4 used Squirts (2 with scissors, 2 with pliers) for under $40 shipped. I love eBay. blush

#167152 - 02/15/09 11:07 PM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: airballrad]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
I carry a Squirt P4 and a Leatherman Micra tool (replaced my S4 because of different tools) with a small "Sparky K-1 ferro/mag rod, a modified Vaughn pry bar (I took the hook end off, leaving a flat bar with a nail puller end), a Bison capsule filled with petro cotton and a large Bison whistle on a length of keychain as a alternate EDC to my Swiss Tool Spirit multi-tool rig,

#167154 - 02/16/09 12:50 AM Re: Leatherman Squirt - wow! [Re: Stu]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
A squirt with scissors and a pliers tip. That would sell!

Call it the squirt SP4.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.