Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#141750 - 07/28/08 02:25 AM 100 Pushups
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
100 Pushups Training Program

Can any of you more excersizey members comment on this program? I'm thinking of giving it a shot.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#141751 - 07/28/08 02:38 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Blast, Blast, Blast,,,

Good idea, but if you try to start from scratch, you will most likely fail.

Try starting at 25 per day for a week or 2, then go to 50 for a couple of weeks, 75 for a couple of weeks, then go for the 100.

Building up keeps you from "biting off more than you can chew" at the beginning, plus helps you build the habit needed to carry on and incorporate such a habit into your everyday lifestyle.

I am NOT an exercise advocate because the idea has always met with interference, in my own personal (limited) experience.

Fact: you have to do something 2000 times before it becomes a reflex. I don't have a clue in regards to making a habit.

Take these thoughts for what it may (or may not) be worth!!!!

#141752 - 07/28/08 02:57 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I looked at the program and it looks sound. You do the initial test to find out an appropriate place for you to start, and then progressively add more reps. You have rest days and you're NOT encouraged to "go for the burn" in which case you're likely tearing muscle fibers and are going to be rather sore. The soreness from a "no pain, no gain" attitude early on is going to throw you off schedule and likely lead to drop out. I think if you push yourself but not too hard at first (as they suggest in the program), to give your muscles and tendons a chance to adapt to the new stress of doing push up's, you can start pushing harder later once your body is more accustomed to the exercise. Don't be discouraged if you take longer than the 6 weeks in this program.

Good luck!

#141755 - 07/28/08 03:21 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Arney]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Looks interesting...might try it out myself.

#141758 - 07/28/08 03:37 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

ooooh 100 pushups is fun!!!

Edited by climberslacker (07/28/08 04:05 AM)

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#141761 - 07/28/08 04:07 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: climberslacker]
BlueSky Offline

Loc: DFW TX
I don't see anything wrong with the program, and pushups are fine, but are not a complete workout. I'm sure it would be fun to have a goal of being able to do 100 pushups, and the plan seems to be easy to follow and motivating.

If I were going to do a plan like this, I'd do burpees, instead. Burpees use a lot more muscle groups, and are going to help the cardiovascular system more than just pushups. It takes A LOT longer to get to 100, though...

Edit to add a video that shows how to do burpees:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Dq_NCzj8M

Edited by BlueSky (07/28/08 04:15 AM)

#141762 - 07/28/08 04:32 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: BlueSky]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
one hundred consecutive push ups in a 6 week program... hmm. This must be a good program or may be a program to build stamina and not really muscle mass.

I did a SERIOUS push-up routine for ~ 6 months. I did as many as I could do rested, did it again, rested, did it again until the max was 1 then I stopped. I did this 2-3x a day.(Almost every day) My goal was to build muscles, it worked. I got large shoulders, upper back triceps, and a noticeable neck.

Doing push-ups practicaly became an addiction! I did them waiting for breakfast to be finished, waiting for someone to call, when I had down time at home I did them.

I was NEVER able to do more than 75 at once. After ~ month I could do TONS of push-ups but not 100 at once, probably due to my method and variance of the muscles.

I did closed fist / knuckle down, arrow (hands touching) and standard.

Push-Ups are fun, easy to do, and can build muscle. Is there a paint to doing 100 at once? Not that I can see.

Start, make your own routine and something you can enjoy. For me it was seeing how many I could do at once and then repeating until I was dead. This really broke down my muscles and rebuilt them. Be sure to break and not do it EVERY day.

Edited by ToddW (07/28/08 04:33 AM)

#141764 - 07/28/08 07:40 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Arney]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Arney
You have rest days and you're NOT encouraged to "go for the burn" in which case you're likely tearing muscle fibers and are going to be rather sore. The soreness from a "no pain, no gain" attitude early on is going to throw you off schedule and likely lead to drop out.
Good luck!

Just my opinion:

Tearing muscle fibers and the subsequent healing process is how muscles get bigger, and thus stronger.

Exercising without building muscle mass is nothing more than a cardiovascular workout (increases efficiency of oxygen and nutrient transport, and eliminates wastes built up in fat cells, and also increases weight loss) and only increases endurance, which is by the way, very healthy.

Both kinds of workout burn calories, so if weight loss and endurance is all you are after, I would suggest a full body cardiovascular workout such as swimming (esp. hard-core body surfing), bicycling, and even trail running and hiking without a pack.

Having more endurance is not the same thing as having more strength, although it might seem to be because more pushups can be done. If you don't believe me, lay on your back and lift the heaviest weight you can once and write that down. Now do your 6 weeks of pushups without tearing muscles. You can do many more pushups at the end of six weeks because your body has become a more efficient and cohesive system. Now get on your back again, and I assure you that the amount of weight you can lift will not be significantly increased since your maximum six weeks before.

#141767 - 07/28/08 10:55 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
MRPrice Offline

Loc: Tulsa, OK. United States of Am...
It's a good program. It follows progressive training, can be done wherever and doesn't need an special equipment. I've been following it myself to get back to being more active.

Mark

Edited by MRPrice (07/28/08 10:56 AM)

#141771 - 07/28/08 11:59 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: MRPrice]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Push-ups are really part of a calisthenics program that is more predominantly focused more on endurance and flexibility. Push-ups are on the strength building side of the scale for this group of exercises. It is purported that a good routine of calisthenics combined with an aerobic process is one of the most time proven effective fitness programs known. Certainly most of Jack Lalane's exercise regimen consisted of calisthenics and isometric action.

I would consider doing push-ups in conjunction with other calisthenic exercises and other aerobic activity, such as jumping rope. One thing I might add to the routine is pull-ups, which although requiring some apparatus, I still consider within the same gendre.

As far as quantity go, I think Lalane's recommendation is to work it as a circuit until you break a good sweat for at least 20 minutes.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.