Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166032 - 02/02/09 11:49 AM Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Interesting story. Although this family was not properly prepared before venturing out, the 14 year old boy deserves credit for staying calm and using his wits to keep him and his sister alive.

NATHAN VANDERKLIPPE
Globe and Mail Update
February 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM EST
As their father lay unresponsive and without a pulse on the frozen waters of Lake Winnipeg, two children raced through a furious blizzard to find help.

Pounded by winds of more than 80 kilometres an hour, the 14-year-old boy and 11-year-old girl had nothing but a thin blanket, a compass, a flashlight, a cellphone and each other as they attempted to survive one of the fiercest storms in Manitoba's history.

Full news article here.

#166058 - 02/02/09 02:25 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The ice of a big lake is a particularly hostile place when the wind whips up. There's no place to hide and no resources to help yourself.

It must have been a gut-wrenching choice to leave their father, but that probably saved the kids' lives.

#166062 - 02/02/09 02:29 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: dougwalkabout]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Doug I wuz about to say the same thing, If I'm out alone with my kids and they have the choice to leave (if I'm dead) then so be it.
I teach them to use the cell phone and my son just got his merit badge for orienteering, so I (hope) they would be in great shape.

Mike

#166066 - 02/02/09 02:52 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: kd7fqd]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And we debated in another recent thread on 4lbs of shelter.

#166068 - 02/02/09 03:07 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Well, most people who go sledding are pretty warmly dressed. We're not talking T-shirts and sneakers here.

A blizzard on Lake Winnipeg would take a lot more than 4 lbs. of gear to stay in place and stay warm. But I agree extra warm gear would have been of great value, especially once they got off the lake.

One of the seductive dangers of sledding or ATV trips is that a four hour drive in can equal a two day walk out.

#166072 - 02/02/09 03:56 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: ]
bilojax Offline

Glad it turned out well. I wonder what the running tally is now for lives saved primarily by cell phone since they were invented? Must be tens of thousands at least. Almost makes up for the damn things ringing in church smile

14-yo is a fine age for chance of survival, as is 11 and on down to 8 or 9, girls as well as boys, PROVIDED someone has told them what to do. IMHO, this is one of the primary duties of a father - kids expect Dad to talk about stuff like that, they like it, they trust it and they remember it. You can't do it all at once, and it wouldn't stick so good that way anyway, but just take them outdoors for fun and along the way, whenever a survival principle point occurs to you, make a one-sentence comment about what to do if something were to go wrong at that point. I'd be willing to bet the deceased father had done this, and that those comments were what the boy was thinking about as he decided what to do at each stage.

As far as girls go, to the extent they are any less capable of survival, I'd say it's entirely Dad's fault for not telling them how. I think they appreciate (and benefit from) such comments just as much as young boys do, even if their responses may not be as encouraging. So, Dads, talk to your girls too.

In the spirit of constructive criticism, I see two points here that could have been emphasized more in prepatory comments. First, the 911 call should have been made sooner ("Don't be afraid to call 911 - that's what they're there for. Just make sure you have a true, bona fide live threatening situation, then call them as soon as possible after that."). Second, the boy should have immediately constructed some kind of shelter in the woods they retired too, in case it had taken many more hours to find them. He might have done this, it doesn't say, but I'm guesing he didn't because reported getting cold. ("If you're ever lost in cold weather, the most important thing is staying warm, and a shelter of some kind is the best way to do that.")

#166073 - 02/02/09 04:17 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: bilojax]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

I haven't seen any information as to whether they tried to call 911 earlier.

It's a massive lake, something like 9000 square miles. It's possible there were dead spots in terms of cell coverage.

#166074 - 02/02/09 04:28 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: dougwalkabout]
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
The decision to leave their dad's corpse on the ice was likely a tough one too.

#166092 - 02/02/09 05:33 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
And we debated in another recent thread on 4lbs of shelter.

Touche

#166294 - 02/03/09 09:29 PM Re: Children refuse to be victims of winter's wrath [Re: Stu]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

all i can say is that story put a lump in my throat.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.